Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Kamikaze Overcoat or PA Cosmic Spritz?

Last year I applied Kamikaze Zipang followed with Overcoat. Well` it`s time to apply a new maintenance product and besides total system compatibility with the 2 K products, are there any advantages with using Cosmic Spritz instead?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kamikaze Overcoat or PA Cosmic Spritz?

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    Last year I applied Kamikaze Zipang followed with Overcoat. Well` it`s time to apply a new maintenance product and besides total system compatibility with the 2 K products, are there any advantages with using Cosmic Spritz instead?
    General consensus is that Cosmic gives a little smoother, warmer look. Overcoat being more sharp it seems. I had used Cosmic a decent amount but recently used Overcoat for the first time. I may slightly prefer Overcoat. Just a preference, maybe because it’s new to me.

I have a side-by-side test going and both still look good, about neck and neck at the 4.5 months mark. Can’t go wrong either way. Stick with Overcoat if you still have some, or switch to Cosmic is f you are all out and want to try new goodies.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a fair comparison because i Don’t have Kamikaze’s latest offering but if i picked one it be Cosmic, For looks. For just protection OC gets the nod.

I’d say buy both. Apply more often. Don’t know if its in my mind only but really like the look of Cosmic over Overcoat. Seem to have more depth (on ford shadow black) than either alone or OC over Cosmic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes acuRAS82, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Don’t know if its in my mind only but really like the look of Cosmic over Overcoat. Seem to have more depth (on ford shadow black) than either alone or OC over Cosmic.
    My wife is absolutely, 100% convinced that his combo on her car looks better than anything else. I`m not sure I see it but what the heck; then again, she`s also absolutely, 100% convinced that she *needs* about 48 different shoes for her 2 feet.

I find Overcoat to be more durable and protective while PA Cosmic is more fun to use and produces a slightly `bling-ier` look to the paint. First time I used Cosmic for some obscure reason I likened PA Cosmic to actress Cameron Diaz in her heyday; bubbly, energetic, fun and outgoing. Overcoat in contrast was more like Jane Seymour; classic, timeless beauty that endured over the years. :shrug:

Overcoat holds a slight edge in water behavior and self cleaning aspects but Cosmic is still quite solid. I actually used PA High Gloss Spritz in place of Cosmic this Summer and enjoyed the greater reflectivity of the High Gloss w/ no degradation in water behavior and self cleaning aspects given the lighter use of the `fun cars` and the fact that they are never really *dirty*. I did drive the snot outta the Cayman this Summer in all weather and the High Gloss Spritz kept it nicely clean and shiny between washings, largely due to the forgiving gray metallic paint and the shape of the body w/ no large vertical panels on the back end like the Corvette but the rain always flew off of the car regardless.

I think multi-year shelf life edge will go to Overcoat, I`ve still got a bottle of V2 w a little left on it from 2 years and it still does well, a bottle of Cosmic I had for 1.5 years seemed to get a little `less` fun after that time, stored similarly. The V3 (current, I believe) version of Overcoat was apparently tweaked a little bit to improve application and with the hopes of reduced water spotting but `over-use` will leave a very light, slight haze that is easily removed a bit later; using Cosmic to do that was how I stumbled upon the Overcoat + Cosmic combo that the wife seems to like so well.

Product usage tip of the hat goes to Overcoat; 250ml of Overcoat, even when I used it after a drying aid after each wash (pre-BigBoi days), would last me all Summer long with about 30% left in the bottle come November (washing 3 cars, at a minimum of every other week) while I seem to go through a 500ml bottle of Cosmic using (post-wash on a dry surface) at about twice the rate of Overcoat. Much of that is likely due to the very, very fine mist the spray head on Overcoat gave; the Polish Angel Spray heads are a bit more `typical` as far as output goes. Additionally, I`m a bit more liberal with PA Cosmic/High Gloss use because it`s easier and more entertaining to use w/ no post-application `penalties` for over-use...and if there`s one thing I excel at it`s product over-use. This might change w/ regards to the Overcoat spray head as I think they`ve recently switched spray heads which I hope retains the performance of the original ultra-fine-mist spray heads (haven`t used the new version yet)
    Kamikaze Overcoat or PA Cosmic Spritz?-kamispray.jpg

In the end, when I`m looking for a bit more muscle on cars that don`t see as much attention (daily drivers) I reach for Overcoat and when I`m all about appearance and laziness (ease of use) I`m going w/ Polish Angel. You really can`t go wrong w/ either and I always keep both on the shelf; the performance differences on well-kept cars is so minimal as to be a non-issue and as always, personal preference plays a large role (and for me, can change quite often )

If you use this either as a drying aid on a wet surface, I kinda think that Overcoat works better in that situation; definitely makes towel-drying an easier and quicker process, especially with a Rag Company Platinum Pluffle which seems designed especially for using drying aids like this. The Cosmic seemed to not work quite as well, perhaps cuz overall it`s a `thicker` product either due to sprayhead or product consistency.

Another note that is mostly very small is that PA is something that I constantly shake before and during application; it can be kinda gloopy and looks like a purple stew if ya look in the bottle after setting on the shelf for a while; good shake clears it up fine but a small item worth noting. The PA sprayheads can be a bit touchy as well, very small rotations produce a large difference in amount/pattern of output but the`yre quite nice when ya find the sweet spot which takes me a pull or 2 on the trigger when I first pull it out prior to an application. I apply both by squirting a shot or two into a 350gsm Eagle Edgeless (purple, of course to compliment the Cosmic/High Gloss shade of the product)...PA holds the edge in odor too (smells like Crayola Crayons to me) while I don`t really think Overcoat has much of an odor that I`ve ever noticed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

^^Bravo, BudgetPlan1. Such great insight.
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent response. You had me at my wife thinks this combo looks best on her car.

My wife only cares about the interior. Tells me continually not to wash her car it’s clean. (I don’t listen).

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    My wife is absolutely, 100% convinced that his combo on her car looks better than anything else. I`m not sure I see it but what the heck; then again, she`s also absolutely, 100% convinced that she *needs* about 48 different shoes for her 2 feet.

I find Overcoat to be more durable and protective while PA Cosmic is more fun to use and produces a slightly `bling-ier` look to the paint. First time I used Cosmic for some obscure reason I likened PA Cosmic to actress Cameron Diaz in her heyday; bubbly, energetic, fun and outgoing. Overcoat in contrast was more like Jane Seymour; classic, timeless beauty that endured over the years. :shrug:

Overcoat holds a slight edge in water behavior and self cleaning aspects but Cosmic is still quite solid. I actually used PA High Gloss Spritz in place of Cosmic this Summer and enjoyed the greater reflectivity of the High Gloss w/ no degradation in water behavior and self cleaning aspects given the lighter use of the `fun cars` and the fact that they are never really *dirty*. I did drive the snot outta the Cayman this Summer in all weather and the High Gloss Spritz kept it nicely clean and shiny between washings, largely due to the forgiving gray metallic paint and the shape of the body w/ no large vertical panels on the back end like the Corvette but the rain always flew off of the car regardless.

I think multi-year shelf life edge will go to Overcoat, I`ve still got a bottle of V2 w a little left on it from 2 years and it still does well, a bottle of Cosmic I had for 1.5 years seemed to get a little `less` fun after that time, stored similarly. The V3 (current, I believe) version of Overcoat was apparently tweaked a little bit to improve application and with the hopes of reduced water spotting but `over-use` will leave a very light, slight haze that is easily removed a bit later; using Cosmic to do that was how I stumbled upon the Overcoat + Cosmic combo that the wife seems to like so well.

Product usage tip of the hat goes to Overcoat; 250ml of Overcoat, even when I used it after a drying aid after each wash (pre-BigBoi days), would last me all Summer long with about 30% left in the bottle come November (washing 3 cars, at a minimum of every other week) while I seem to go through a 500ml bottle of Cosmic using (post-wash on a dry surface) at about twice the rate of Overcoat. Much of that is likely due to the very, very fine mist the spray head on Overcoat gave; the Polish Angel Spray heads are a bit more `typical` as far as output goes. Additionally, I`m a bit more liberal with PA Cosmic/High Gloss use because it`s easier and more entertaining to use w/ no post-application `penalties` for over-use...and if there`s one thing I excel at it`s product over-use. This might change w/ regards to the Overcoat spray head as I think they`ve recently switched spray heads which I hope retains the performance of the original ultra-fine-mist spray heads (haven`t used the new version yet)

In the end, when I`m looking for a bit more muscle on cars that don`t see as much attention (daily drivers) I reach for Overcoat and when I`m all about appearance and laziness (ease of use) I`m going w/ Polish Angel. You really can`t go wrong w/ either and I always keep both on the shelf; the performance differences on well-kept cars is so minimal as to be a non-issue and as always, personal preference plays a large role (and for me, can change quite often )

If you use this either as a drying aid on a wet surface, I kinda think that Overcoat works better in that situation; definitely makes towel-drying an easier and quicker process, especially with a Rag Company Platinum Pluffle which seems designed especially for using drying aids like this. The Cosmic seemed to not work quite as well, perhaps cuz overall it`s a `thicker` product either due to sprayhead or product consistency.

Another note that is mostly very small is that PA is something that I constantly shake before and during application; it can be kinda gloopy and looks like a purple stew if ya look in the bottle after setting on the shelf for a while; good shake clears it up fine but a small item worth noting. The PA sprayheads can be a bit touchy as well, very small rotations produce a large difference in amount/pattern of output but the`yre quite nice when ya find the sweet spot which takes me a pull or 2 on the trigger when I first pull it out prior to an application. I apply both by squirting a shot or two into a 350gsm Eagle Edgeless (purple, of course to compliment the Cosmic/High Gloss shade of the product)...PA holds the edge in odor too (smells like Crayola Crayons to me) while I don`t really think Overcoat has much of an odor that I`ve ever noticed.
    Likes acuRAS82, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Budgetman, there was so much in that post that I agree with.... especially the part about PA Cosmic being bubba-proof even when I spray too much product. (as I usually do). I also agree that I get more mileage out of KOC or 22PLE VS1 than I do from PA Cosmic. But like you I am not as fond of the *globby* texture of the just sprayed glob. I`d prefer the clean spray of the KOC type of chemical. So today I`m going to re-package some of my PA Cosmic into my new, recently sourced, 6 oz US Plastics cobalt blue bottle and put a mist type of spray head on it and see how that works.

Tell me how does KOC v3 compare to KOC v1?
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    Excellent response. You had me at my wife thinks this combo looks best on her car.
    It also helps when an Esoteric box shows up on the doorstep (again)..."Well, you said that..."

Kinda funny that between the Grey Cayman, the Black Corvette, my black Accord and her Aegean Blue Metallic Civic I probably spend more time staring at her Civic than any other car. It`s such a great color and great products *really* make it stand out in a visually amazing and compelling way. I guess when ya throw hundreds of dollars of products on a car now worth about $8k, it *better* make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    Tell me how does KOC v3 compare to KOC v1?
    Far easier application once they hit V2.1 vs the original version, less change for streaking when overdoing it on a dark car. I was about 3 years in w/ Overcoat when I mentioned how I could streak it on black with little effort and was advised that should that occur, a plush microfiber damp with hot water followed by a buff with a dry one would remove the streaks. That woulda been helpful in those first attempts w the product

Aside from the occasional light haze on dark paints when ya overdo it, 3.0 is quite nice although ya really never know if it`s 3.0 or 3.0.0001 or 3.0.0002...the whole Kainzen Theory means that sometimes very incremental improvements are incorporated without a new `version` being released.

Performance remains the same in all versions as far as I can tell.
    Thanks glfnaz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Budgets wife and him posting this is why i tried it..... also he’s the one who gifted me version 1 OC.

Budget.... 1-2 squirts? We know it’s 2!Kamikaze Overcoat or PA Cosmic Spritz?. Still hard for me to use one or two squirts.....

For V1 i find it sucks applying dry but great wet. Even if applying dry i’lll spritz the panel once or twice with water

Post Thanks / Like

Great reads in thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the reply. I`m still deciding but will get one or the other this week - before the cold weather approaches and application gets tough. But let me ask you guys this one. After proper prep would using a topper Nanolex sealant, be a waste of time and effort, negating/lessening the K`s coating`s looks?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    Thanks all for the reply. I`m still deciding but will get one or the other this week - before the cold weather approaches and application gets tough. But let me ask you guys this one. After proper prep would using a topper Nanolex sealant, be a waste of time and effort, negating/lessening the K`s coating`s looks?
    I wouldn`t cover up Overcoat...

...unless my wife demands I put Cosmic on top. Who am I to argue? Kamikaze Overcoat or PA Cosmic Spritz?

Post Thanks / Like

Kamikaze Overcoat or PA Cosmic Spritz?

I wouldn`t cover up Overcoat...

...unless my wife demands I put Cosmic on top. Who am I to argue? Kamikaze Overcoat or PA Cosmic Spritz?
    I was going to say the same, but I think bob m is talking about topping KK coating with only Nanolex (assuming Overcoat has warn away by now). But I don’t think the answer changes unless KK coating is beat up by now and you are looking for a much more affordable topper than OC or Cosmic.

or maybe I’m wrong about his intention. Either way, don’t top KK anything with any $15 Spray Sealant unless it’s on its past legs, in my non-important opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think you’ll see much difference. Mat add a little added protection from coating. I have CQUK3 on my car and unless adding a coating lite the water behavior of the CQUK3 shines through.

Im beginning to think that most toppers have issues bonding with the coating protection wise.

Why not buy small bottle of both and see what you like best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I was going to say the same, but I think bob m is talking about topping KK coating with only Nanolex (assuming Overcoat has warn away by now). But I don’t think the answer changes unless KK coating is beat up by now and you are looking for a much more affordable topper than OC or Cosmic.

or maybe I’m wrong about his intention. Either way, don’t top KK anything with any $15 Spray Sealant unless it’s on its past legs, in my non-important opinion.
    That`s correct - topping K coating with Nanalox SiFinish (sealant). It`s about $40.00. Just wondering if that one would work/adher/look good/protect the K coating, but I` probably get one of the other two.

Thanks again all for your replies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information