Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

fk1000p over klasse sg

I have been using klasse sg for many years but would like to try something different.

Is it ok to apply fk1000p over klasse sg without removing the klasse? The paint on my 2008 Subaru Outback is in perfect condition.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: fk1000p over klasse sg

May I ask, why FK1000P?

To answer your question, it will be fine to apply the FK on top of KSG. With the Klasse being acrylic based, it`s doubtful you`ll have any beneficial synergy of the two products, but the FK will act as a sacrificial layer, extending whatever is beneath it. Or will it? If the KSG is on its last legs, the FK`s solvent might just eat it up. Either way, you`re fine.

The more important question is if your paint is currently LSP-ready. How long has it been since that last coat of K?

Post Thanks / Like

jdover- Welcome to Autopia!

Heh heh, you`re about to make the same change that I did, hope it works as well for you!

IME it`ll work fine even if the KSG is near-death. I might KAIO it first just as a paint cleaning step, or to improve the look (KSG just doesn`t do it for me on many paints, but I never really minded it on Subarus), but it`d depend on my mood at the time. In the unlikely event that there is an issue, I`m confident you`ll notice it right away (assuming good inspection) and then you`ll merely have to do the KAIO step after all, quick and easy either way.

Just FWIW, IME one coat of FK1000P will last/protect/etc. better than two coats of KSG (which I always layered much more heavily, and FK1000P still outperformed it). I`d be *very* interested to hear your opinions after you`ve applied the FK1000P and lived with it for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Klasse, FK1000P, hmmmmm... how did I know you`d respond to this Accum?
    Likes nickclark08, Stokdgs, Bert, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

WaxAddict- Gee, that *IS* a mystery, huh?!?
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The ksg is about a week old so I applied a coat of FK1000p directly on top of it......looks amazing!!!
    Good thing I can do it in my garage with the doors closed otherwise my neighbors would think......well you know.

Thanks guys and Accumulator I have been following your posts for a few years which is why I picked FK1000p to try.

I will let you know the long term results.
    Likes WaxAddict, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

jdover- Ah, glad you like how it tweaked the look. Gee, if you refresh the FK1000P now and then the underlying KSG might last, well...indefinitely!

And hey, it`s gratifying to hear that my posts here have been of some benefit.

Post Thanks / Like

Just washed the car and put another layer of fk1000p on it. It looks amazing.
    It is a 10 year old subaru that I bought new and whenever I take it back to the dealer for a recall the salespeople and some of the techs come out to look at it and want to know how I keep it looking like that.
    Thanks guys, especially Accumulator......should I tellum or keep it a secret? They don`t seem to be the type of guys that would spend much time on their vehicles appearance.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

jdover- Glad it`s working out so well! Sure, I`d go ahead and tell them. I doubt they`ll bother trying anything you recommend, and/but even if they do they might discover that it`s not *just* a matter of using the right product

And I bet the KSG is still OK underneath the FK too.
    Likes VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Jdover it sounds like Klasse products have kept your 2008 Subaru Outback looking great for ten years. You can`t ask for anymore than that. They work great for me too. I just sold my 2000 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab for the max price out of KBB just because I kept it protected by the Klasse twins and took care of it. I have been looking at fk1000p and I might have to give it a try. I haven`t experimented much lately and it would give me something new to check out on my new Toyota Tundra.

Post Thanks / Like

FryeBaby- It is true that the Klasse twins have kept my 10 year old Subaru looking like it just came out of the showroom minus dealer added swirls, but after 10 years I am almost out of Klasse products and decided to try something else for fun.

It came down to a decision between Collinite and fk1000p. After a lot of Googleing, (is that a word?) and reading Accumulator`s reviews and his obvious love for the product, I decided to go with it. Turned out to be a great choice, easy to apply and buff off leaving no streaks as sometimes Klasse SG did.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks jdover for your thoughts on FK1000p. It sounds like a great product. I may order it to try because I need to detail my Mustang. The main reason besides the reviews are good, is because it is a one step vs the Klasse two steps. I am pretty much hurting all the time from playing sports year round for 20 something years. So just putting on the sealant one time sure sounds good compared to Klasse two steps. Please let us know how it lasts for you.

Post Thanks / Like

FryeBaby- IMO it`s not so much the "one vs. two steps" as the KAIO is basically just a prep for the KSG. I`d use something like KAIO on bare paint before the FK1000P too.

And I`d referesh KSG without doing any real prep at all, just "throw on another coat" same as I do with other LSPs.

IMO the bid diff is that one coat of FK1000P does almost everything as well as numerous coats of KSG (which I find utterly unimpressive with fewer than four coats, like...why bother). I say "almost" because KSG, layered heavily enough, will result in a discernible build-film, like a layer of plasticy stuff on top of the paint/etc. that can provide a physical barrier against, well...all sorts of problems. Yes, I *do* find it can diminish the incidence of marring...VERY VERY LIGHT marring. For that reason I`m still using it on gloss black exterior plastics.

Hope you can find some relief from that "hurting all the time"! That`d get old after a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Accumulator for the advice. I guess I was thinking FK1000P was like KAIO in that it cleaned but it left behind a lot more sealant protection than KAIO. I guess that shoots down my one step plan. LOL. I am planning on claying the Mustang, then use KAIO and then I guess I will try the FK1000P if I think I can get it in time. I am thinking of doing the detail this weekend so I may just go with the Klasse twins and order the FK1000P to try later. Thanks again for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

FryeBaby- Yeah, you`re on-track now..the FK doesn`t do any real cleaning other than by a bit of solvent action. Maybe it doesn`t *need* any real cleaning; per usual I just reFK1000P`ed the `03 Audi without doing anything other than a regular wash and it turned out fine.

Or, if you do use the KAIO (even without the KSG), that`d hold it until the next wash and you could just do the FK then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information