Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant versus Traditional Sealants - Test!

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    acuRAS82- Indeed interesting, even if my baby didn`t fare well. I agree about the UPP being a surprise, that stuff has *NEVER* lasted for me, absolutely needs redone at every wash even though I used their whole system instead of applying over an AIO/etc.

But/and I sure see what you mean about that paint killing LSPs! It`s like the latest repaint of the A8`s rear bumpercover where *nothing* lasts longer than a month or so (the adjacent panels will go many times that easy, as it used to do before that paint went on).

EDIT: Gee, your test did only span about *one month*. You`re one, uhm...understanding/patient guy to live with a whole car being like that.
    Test isn’t even over! And the patience is killing me but I have the vertical panels of all my vehicles to play around with for my own amusement. Literally all 3 cars have good and roof tests. Once I end these tests in June, I’m taking a test break.

BYW, maybe they reformulated UPP since you bought your last bottle. Do you recall what year you bought it?

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- I just *bet* you`re ready for a break!

I`d actually be surprised if they *haven`t* reformulated the UPP. No real idea when I got it...but the one bottle (either the tan product or the blue one, can`t even remember which came first any more!) was literally v1.0 first release and the other was in the first batch of v2.0. We *are* talking well over a decade but not much earllier than `05..And FWIW, the last time I did the S8 they both still worked same as when new.

A guy (now MIA) here, whose name I forget, used it on his blue....uhm...?Acura? and raved about it and I liked how it came across. Immediately discovered it would *NOT* bond right to my 1Z ProMP, but otherwise liked it`s look/slickness/user-friendly nature. BUT...quickly discovered there was basically zero durability or protection, basically it was like a synthetic liquid Souveran with regard to its functional characteristics, at least IMO.
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant versus Traditional Sealants - Test!

Update 6/18/20 (5 weeks):
    The Acura continues to live it`s life outside. Took in a lot of pollen throughout May but I was washing it a lot because I`m a fighter and I fight losing battles all the time. I still drive this car a lot. The X5 M has been relegated to beuty sleep in the garage for the last few weeks due to a correction and recoat, plus some time avoiding pollen prior to that.

Anyways, to speed up the testing I started using the Four Star soap (I always complain about it being harsh) to see if that would separate the pack. The below pics are right after the wash and rinse process. I tried for 1, 2, 4 and 6 seconds after hose ending. Sometimes more, sometimes less pictures depending on the action occurring.

Hood:
    Reference

After Wash:

Observation of performance (ranking):
    1) WG SiO2 PS
    2) Four Star UPP
    T-3) WG DGPS
    T-3) BF Sealant
    5) Jescar Powerlock

Trunk:
    Reference

After wash

1) PNS
    2) WG SiO2 PS
    3) FK1000p
    4) Collinite 476
    5) Collinite 845

Back Roof:
    Reference

After Wash:

1) WG SiO2 PS
    2) PBL Sealant
    T-3) PA Master Sealant
    T-3 Mckees Hi Def

5) HD Poxy

Front Roof:
    Reference

After Wash:

1) Poorboy`s EX-P
    2) Collinite 915 (surprising)

Overall subjective rankings at 2 month (beading/sheeting/overall performance):
    1) PNS
    2) WG SiO2
    3) UPP
    4) PBL Sealant
    5) FK1000p
    6) 476

7) PA MS
    8) M37 Hi Def
    9) WG DGPS
    10) BF PS
    11) 845
    12) Poorboys EX-P
    13) Powerlock
    14) 915
    15) HD Poxy

The top 6 order I feel good about. The rest gets pretty tough to compare different panels and such, but I tried my best!
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

AcuRAS82- Gee, I`m utterly astounded by the UPP performance! That stuff was strictly a "synthetic beauty wax" for me with zero protection or durability. Maybe they`ve changed it.

I do wonder what kind of wildcard that particular paint might be contributing...

Post Thanks / Like

AcuRAS82- Gee, I`m utterly astounded by the UPP performance! That stuff was strictly a "synthetic beauty wax" for me with zero protection or durability. Maybe they`ve changed it.

I do wonder what kind of wildcard that particular paint might be contributing...
    I’m astounded too. Blown away actually. I should probably throw a bit on a panel on my wife’s car just to observe. While the Acura paint has given some weird (usually disappointing) results, I’m still shocked. I’ll see what I can do about testing on something else, but it will take weeks/months to confirm which sucks.

Post Thanks / Like

In case anyone questions whether WG, BF, Powerlock are still alive based on my one-handed quick pic snaps yesterday, I do get to see my paint all the time and I will call them dead when I think they are 80-90% dead (totally subjective, I know). Basically I’m saying that some of these sheet fairly slow after two months, but there’s no doubt that they are still protecting when seen during a normal rain of any intensity.

Anyways, here is the hood from moments ago during a downpour. I ran to an overhang at Duncan just to snap some real rain shots for you all!

And upon arrival home after rain mostly stopped:

Likes lloydrm, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- If not for the Test you`re running, I`d want to reLSP (at least) some of those panels at this point, if only to stay ahead of the curve. Though with that particular paint it might be hard to stay ahead...

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- If not for the Test you`re running, I`d want to reLSP (at least) some of those panels at this point, if only to stay ahead of the curve. Though with that particular paint it might be hard to stay ahead...
    If not for the test, I would have re-applied all but the top 3 (maybe #4 too) about 2-3 weeks ago. . Granted, I am going out if my way to “real-life” torture these via miles/bad-weather-driving/wash cycles way more than I would normally (I don’t always go chasing T-storms just for fun).

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- Heh heh, you`re taking one for the team in more ways than one with that test

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82
    (I don’t always go chasing T-storms just for fun)
    Heh heh, hard to predict *what* Autopians will do for fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Update 07/18/2020 (1 week short of 3 months)

Pics taken from hose turn-off, then every 2-3 seconds; then final pic is after a full minute.

Note that many appear to be either barely alive (sheet at the end of one minute duration) or pretty dead (still standing water after one minute). I admit, the difference between “Barely alive” and “Pretty dead” may be only based on whether the panel has slope. Like how the roof doesn’t sheet at all after a minute. This is the disadvantage of not have one massive panel to test on. Either way, barely alive and pretty dead are both in the situation that any of us would have replaced by now.

Hood

- Still well:
    1) Wolfgang SiO2
    2) Four Star UPP

- Barely alive or pretty dead (takes a minute to sheet)
    3) Jescar PL
    4) WG DGPS
    5) BF

Back Roof

- Still well:
    1) Wolfgang SiO2

- Pretty dead
    3D Poxy, PA MS, M37 High Def, PBL PS

Trunk

- Still well:
    1) Sonax PNS
    2) Wolfgang SiO2

- Barely alive (takes a minute to sheet):
    3) FK1000p
    4) Collinite 476
    5) Collinite 845

Front Roof

- Barely alive:
    1) Collinite 915

- Pretty dead:
    Poorboys EX-P

Attempt at ranking based on remaining performance to this point:

- Legitimately still going:
    1) Sonax PNS
    2) Wolfgang SiO2
    3) Four Star UPP

- We would replace, but probably still protecting:
    4) FK1000p
    5) WG DGPS
    6) Collinite 915
    7) Jescar PL
    8) Collinite 476
    9) BF PS
    10) Collinite 845

- Barely protecting or totally dead:
    3D Poxy,
    PA MS,
    M37 Hi Def,
    PBL PS
    Poorboys EX-P

I did my best, lol. And took into account that the panels on this car take the brunt of sun/rain/weather in the following order IMO based simply on angles:
    Roof
    Trunk
    Hood
    Likes DetailZeus, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- Ah, thanks for the update! Your results continue to surprise me, and/but I myself would call all of those long past dead Though whatever`s on the top of the doors still looks OK.

The paint on that car is indeed a LSP-killer!

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- Ah, thanks for the update! Your results continue to surprise me, and/but I myself would call all of those long past dead Though whatever`s on the top of the doors still looks OK.

The paint on that car is indeed a LSP-killer!
    Good observation. On top of the doors is whatever spray wax I use as a drying aid to the rest of the car, this month it’s been Four Star Ultimate Spray Wax Plus. Last month M37 Fast Wax.... etc. etc. The black trim is also beading as it was recently updated with Mckees Plastic Trim Restorer.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m a little surprised too by the results. I would have figured most would still be going strong, but just exhibit different properties. I was able to get an easy 5-ish months out of 845 when I still used it, even in the winter. By reputation, I would have thought the 476 and FPK1000 would still be hanging around as well. The only other product in the test I`ve used is the EX-P and I found it to be pretty short lived as well.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I`m a little surprised too by the results. I would have figured most would still be going strong, but just exhibit different properties. I was able to get an easy 5-ish months out of 845 when I still used it, even in the winter. By reputation, I would have thought the 476 and FPK1000 would still be hanging around as well. The only other product in the test I`ve used is the EX-P and I found it to be pretty short lived as well.
    We’ll see when it rains. Maybe these guys come back alive, but my guess is they’re pretty roasted. Lots of miles, lots of washes.

I generally get 5-6 months out of most these sealants when I’m not constantly stressing them. I think constant washing makes the biggest impact... but just my observation.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Washing with a product like Duragloss Rinseless Wash which leaves polymers on the surface would prolong the life of those products.

Being in the same geographical area as you, I can pretty much confirm your results. I pretty much can`t get anything to last more than 3 or 4 months without adding some type of spray wax topper.
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information