Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant versus Traditional Sealants - Test!

acuRAS82- One coat/application of each?

FWIW, with regard to the ones I`ve used, I agree completely with your take on how they look...and *yes indeed, silver can POP* Anybody who says it`s "boring"...

An, heh heh, I bet you see why it took me a while to appreciate how the FK looks on certain colors. Oh man, my `93 Audi did look better with either of the Collinites on it (different with 476S vs. 845, but both looked swell).

I`ll be especially interested to see how the FK lasts compared to those Collinites; experiences vary, though I`ve yet to figure out why (and I`ve sure given it plenty of thought).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    acuRAS82- One coat/application of each?

FWIW, with regard to the ones I`ve used, I agree completely with your take on how they look...and *yes indeed, silver can POP* Anybody who says it`s "boring"...

An, heh heh, I bet you see why it took me a while to appreciate how the FK looks on certain colors. Oh man, my `93 Audi did look better with either of the Collinites on it (different with 476S vs. 845, but both looked swell).

I`ll be especially interested to see how the FK lasts compared to those Collinites; experiences vary, though I`ve yet to figure out why (and I`ve sure given it plenty of thought).
    One coat each. I’m so torn on these comparison tests as to picking one or two coats. I figured this test will represent the most frequent use across all users: one application... since it’s probably only us Autopians who would ever think of doing two. But I could see test results slightly different had I done two coats of each. Oh well, stick with my decision and go with it.

But yes, I absolutely thought of you the moment I wiped the FK off. “Ahh, that’s what he was saying!”. It’s a good look on the silver.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks awesome setup!
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- Heh heh, it appears I`m making an impression on some people

Ya know..I`ve *NEVER* stopped with one coat of the FK, wonder how long that`ll last. Only stopped at one with the Collinite once (with each of those two versions) to see how it`d go (not so durable, never just one again..). No, no, not being critical at all and as you said a lot of folks will probably stop at one. Though fair warning that I might pull that out as an excuse if the FK dies a lot sooner than I`d expect (just kidding, just kidding..!sorta! ).

Hey, got a Q for you: did you notice any diff in the FK after a day or so? As it cures/whatever-it-does it always changes a bit for me, getting even more "sealanty".

Oh oh..another Q about something: is the Ultimate Paint Protection one the "Four Star" UPP? IF so..that`s what I`ve always used on the S8 (since the stuff came out) and while I *LOVE* the look and the slickness, but the durability was almost as lousy as its protection; bugs/birds etched through that stuff like it wasn`t even there, like...worse than a beauty wax or at least no better than Souveran.

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- Heh heh, it appears I`m making an impression on some people

Ya know..I`ve *NEVER* stopped with one coat of the FK, wonder how long that`ll last. Only stopped at one with the Collinite once (with each of those two versions) to see how it`d go (not so durable, never just one again..). No, no, not being critical at all and as you said a lot of folks will probably stop at one. Though fair warning that I might pull that out as an excuse if the FK dies a lot sooner than I`d expect (just kidding, just kidding..!sorta! ).

Hey, got a Q for you: did you notice any diff in the FK after a day or so? As it cures/whatever-it-does it always changes a bit for me, getting even more "sealanty".

Oh oh..another Q about something: is the Ultimate Paint Protection one the "Four Star" UPP? IF so..that`s what I`ve always used on the S8 (since the stuff came out) and while I *LOVE* the look and the slickness, but the durability was almost as lousy as its protection; bugs/birds etched through that stuff like it wasn`t even there, like...worse than a beauty wax or at least no better than Souveran.
    I’m sure you’ve made an impression on many people throughout the years. I can’t count how many people have stated you got them to try FK.

I won’t mind if you point out the 1 coat as a reason FK doesn’t perform the same way, it’s true. Maybe I can do a longer term, multi-coat next winter.

I do think FK got more “sealanty” later on. I was thinking maybe it was just that the car was out of the garage and in natural light, but definitely sticks out on the back panel (although so does 476 in the opposite way).

And you are correct that I’m using the Ultimate Paint Protection that you had durability and bird bomb issues with. These impressions were left with me too and I’ve never used it this time of year because of that. Only in fall/winter. The stuff looks awesome, feels awesome, but I’ve never left it be to test durability. We’ll see if it and the Acura get along or if it degrades in a few weeks... with how much rain we’ve been getting and the amount of driving I’m doing, the faint-of-heart sealants probably aren’t going to last too long. For anyone who has driven a motorcycle in the rain, those raindrops pound really hard when the car is going 60-70mph through storms.
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I’m sure you’ve made an impression on many people throughout the years....
    Heh heh, there`s some kind of well-deserved joke at my expense there somewhere

I can’t count how many people have stated you got them to try FK.
    Fortunately, the vast majority that I know of seem satisfied with it. Although I can think of at least two Autopians who get better durability out of the Collinites, and well..the FK1000`s look isn`t always right for everybody`s everything.

But yeah...our impressions sound spot-on identical for the products I`ve used, and thanks for confirming that UPP being the same stuff. I`ve never noticed any significan diffs between the two versions I have (one is blueish, one is biege, can`t remember which is newest). I also have their Spray Sealant, which was the only commonly available product like that for quite a while...not that it was anything great shakes, but at least it didn`t stain trim/etc.

Hey, one more thing...watch the two Collinites and see if the diffs between them fade over time/with washing. Just, uhm..see what, if anything happens along those lines and if you think of it post about anything you do/don`t observe.

And "yes indeed" about the forceful impact of a hard rain. Upside is the self-cleaning effect with some of those LSPs, downside is how it does kill some LSPs pretty fast.
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, one more thing...watch the two Collinites and see if the diffs between them fade over time/with washing. Just, uhm..see what, if anything happens along those lines and if you think of it post about anything you do/don`t observe
    Absolutely, I’ll keep this in mind and document what I see.

Post Thanks / Like

Update 5/4/20:

Car has been driven non-stop to avoid my son and I living through mass boredom (lucky for me he loves car rides). We go storm chasing. Car has been outside at all times. Lots of rain last week. The car has gone ~1000 miles in the 11 or so days since application.

The car has been washed twice with glossless soap. Below are hose shots showing beading/sheeting at ~2sec and ~5sec after hose spraying was stopped:

Hood:

Observation of sheeting performance:
    1) WG SiO2 PS
    2) Four Star UPP
    3) Jescar Powerlock
    4) WG DGPS
    5) BF Sealant

Trunk lid:

1) PNS
    2) WG SiO2 PS
    3) Collinite 476
    4) Collinite 845
    5) FK1000p

Back roof:

1) WG SiO2 PS
    2) PBL Sealant
    3) PA Master Sealant
    4) Mckees Hi Def
    5) HD Poxy

Front roof:

Forgot to take pics. 915 sheeting quite faster than EX-P.

Overall thoughts on beading/sheeting combined:
    1) PNS sheets and beads best
    2) WG SiO2 sheets and beads best

- I don’t want to make bold observations about the remaining products on different sections, angles, etc., so I’ll group the remainders:

3-7) Real good group - UPP, PBL, 476, 915, 845
    8-13) Medium group - PL, DGPS, BF, PA MS, M37 Hi Def, FK1000p
    14-15) Meh group - HD Poxy, PB EX-P
    Likes SGM2008 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- Gee, your results with the FK are so utterly different from mine that I`m simply astounded. No [crap], that just blows me away! I never would`ve stuck with, much less become a fanboy for, the FK had it performed that poorly for me. !YMMV! indeed!

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- Gee, your results with the FK are so utterly different from mine that I`m simply astounded. No [crap], that just blows me away! I never would`ve stuck with, much less become a fanboy for, the FK had it performed that poorly for me. !YMMV! indeed!
    Maybe it’s the single coat? Maybe my application was sloppy?

I applied thinly. Rather than buff of after 10-15 minutes I probably let it sit for 25-30 minutes. Then lightly buffed off. I have no doubt that multiple coats would have given me some of the more vaunted characteristics. But still.

Or this paint just doesn’t like certain LSPs which I have been experiencing recently.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Maybe it’s the single coat? Maybe my application was sloppy?
    I`m not even gonna venture a *guess*...and I`m sure not gonna knee-jerk to "user-error" either. Heh heh, I`m confident that you didn`t somehow botch up applying a paste wax/sealant...I mean, what? Ya smear it on, let it flash, buff it off, done.

I hope that`s not sounding like a cop-out, but when I`m clueless I`m gonna admit it. I mean..[Accumulator thinks "gee!" again]..I even apply mine over top of AIOs/etc. that leave stuff behind, which some find, uhm...questionable. I`ve used dried-out stuff that I "reactivated" with FK425 without ever having it underperform that fast. If anything, I would`ve expected *your* case to work out better than mine since you were consciously trying to do a good objective Autopian-level test whereas I`m just trying to get the thing waxed so I can get on with my life

And I *am* taking into account the travel/use it`s received since application, not all that different from what some of mine go through (e.g., the FK`ed Crown Vic has been through *MUCH* worse and still stayed "just LSPed").

If I *had* to venture a guess, I`d say that there`s some kind of benefit from doing more than one coat, although I then think of how many times I`ve done/recommended "just one until after the next wash".

Heh heh, I can sure burn up bandwidth thinking out loud when something surprises me Guess this will be another of those "OTOH..." disclaimers I`ll be mentioning when recommending the stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not even gonna venture a *guess*...and I`m sure not gonna knee-jerk to "user-error" either. Heh heh, I`m confident that you didn`t somehow botch up applying a paste wax/sealant...I mean, what? Ya smear it on, let it flash, buff it off, done.

I hope that`s not sounding like a cop-out, but when I`m clueless I`m gonna admit it. I mean..[Accumulator thinks "gee!" again]..I even apply mine over top of AIOs/etc. that leave stuff behind, which some find, uhm...questionable. I`ve used dried-out stuff that I "reactivated" with FK425 without ever having it underperform that fast. If anything, I would`ve expected *your* case to work out better than mine since you were consciously trying to do a good objective Autopian-level test whereas I`m just trying to get the thing waxed so I can get on with my life

And I *am* taking into account the travel/use it`s received since application, not all that different from what some of mine go through (e.g., the FK`ed Crown Vic has been through *MUCH* worse and still stayed "just LSPed").

If I *had* to venture a guess, I`d say that there`s some kind of benefit from doing more than one coat, although I then think of how many times I`ve done/recommended "just one until after the next wash".

Heh heh, I can sure burn up bandwidth thinking out loud when something surprises me Guess this will be another of those "OTOH..." disclaimers I`ll be mentioning when recommending the stuff.
    I’m at a bit of a loss too. For any test results where I get unusual results I’ve been re-applying to my other car’s roof. I will probably do 1 coat of this and on half of that area I will apply 1 coat a week later just to make myself feel better.

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- Heh heh, I`m willing to just chalk it up to Life`s [freakin`] Imponderables and say "!YMMV!"

Hey, plenty of my LSP durability experiences have differed from other people`s (along with a lot of other Detailing things!) and that doesn`t mean that some product/process/Detailer is right/wrong.
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant versus Traditional Sealants - Test!

Update 05/21/20 (~1 month)

Took some pics on 5/21 after washing with Hyper Wash. The car has been driven +1200 miles since last update on 5/4, around 2300 miles since application. As I mentioned in some other test threads, I used what turned out to be a harsh wash soap a few times at the beginning of May which seemed to put a dent in some of the sealants` performances. That was an unknown at the time (the harshness of the soap) and this test was supposed to only be torture via lots of miles and spring weather (lots of rain, lots of pollen). But have only used Reset and Hyper Wash since the 5/4 update (7 washes total) and *most* of the performances have remained pretty similar.

For the pics, I began at the time of hose spray turning off and then a few shots within 10 seconds.

Hood:
    Reference

After Wash:

Observation of performance:
    1) WG SiO2 PS
    2) Four Star UPP (close second!)
    3) Jescar Powerlock
    T-4) WG DGPS
    T-4) BF Sealant

Trunk:
    Reference

After wash

1) PNS
    2) WG SiO2 PS
    T-3) FK1000p
    T-3) Collinite 476
    5) Collinite 845

Back Roof:
    Reference

After Wash:

1) WG SiO2 PS
    2) PBL Sealant
    3) Mckees Hi Def
    4) PA Master Sealant
    5) HD Poxy

Front Roof:
    Reference

After Wash:

1) Collinite 915
    2) Poorboy`s EX-P

Overall subjective rankings at 1 month (beading/sheeting/overall performance):
    1) PNS beads best (#1 overall performer)
    2) WG SiO2 sheets best (#2 overall performer)
    3) UPP (surprisingly great)
    4) PBL Sealant
    T-5) Powerlock
    T-5) 476
    T-5) FK1000p
    8) 915
    9) M37 Hi Def
    10) 845
    11) WG DGPS
    12) BF PS
    13) PA MS
    14) Poorboys EX-P
    15) HD Poxy

I did my best with these given, different products on different sections. NOTE that I also tested and took pics before washing but I can’t fit them all on this thread.
    As always, this isn`t perfect science. Just some fun
    [/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- Indeed interesting, even if my baby didn`t fare well. I agree about the UPP being a surprise, that stuff has *NEVER* lasted for me, absolutely needs redone at every wash even though I used their whole system instead of applying over an AIO/etc.

But/and I sure see what you mean about that paint killing LSPs! It`s like the latest repaint of the A8`s rear bumpercover where *nothing* lasts longer than a month or so (the adjacent panels will go many times that easy, as it used to do before that paint went on).

EDIT: Gee, your test did only span about *one month*. You`re one, uhm...understanding/patient guy to live with a whole car being like that.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information