Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Warning: the downside of a coating type product...

Several years ago, a coating product hit the market. It was sold on TV, internet and even in some stores. For kicks, I decided to try it on a set of wheels. Seemed to work pretty good. Last year I noticed a cloudy look on one of the wheels. My first thought was the clearcoat was going bad. Now the other wheels have the same appearance. I decided to take take my fingernail and scratch the wheel. Much to my surprise, I can scratch away the cloudiness. Seems as if the coating is breaking down. I`m glad I didn`t use the product on the cars paint. I think with some effort the coating can probably be removed.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, Fishing thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Warning: the downside of a coating type product...

I`m sure you can polish it off. Too bad this happened.

I wonder if this goes on with a lot of the `new` products that are advertised!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

At this point the new products haven`t been out long enough to know for sure. I doubt that some of these companies do long term testing. If they do, it`s probably months and not years. I know one company did long term testing of products and never jumped on the coating bandwagon. Maybe that was smart, I don`t know.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy, glad I never tried [whatever that Coating is].

wannafbody- I`d be awfully [displeased] if that happened to me! Hope the redo won`t be too much of a PIA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    At this point the new products haven`t been out long enough to know for sure. I doubt that some of these companies do long term testing. If they do, it`s probably months and not years. I know one company did long term testing of products and never jumped on the coating bandwagon. Maybe that was smart, I don`t know.
    Is your concern that maybe a coating product won’t be able to be polished off and then be “stuck” on until this unusual peeling stage?

Post Thanks / Like

The coating can oxidize depending on whatever. Paint is uneven - peaks and valleys. Is it ever possible to remove all the coating (in the valleys)? Who knows ???
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Is your concern that maybe a coating product won’t be able to be polished off and then be “stuck” on until this unusual peeling stage?
    I`m not completely sure. Here`s the thing, with these type of products, we don`t know how they adhere to the surface. I suspect that the ones that seem to have less durability like Mother Ceramic Coating maybe doesn`t bond as hard to the surface and simply gets wiped off when washing. The ones that adhere in a stronger manner may bond tighter to the surface. Here`s the thing, in this case, for certain, a wash doesn`t remove this coating(IIRC it was called New Wheel or something similar). A manual scrubbing of some type will be needed to break the bond. It`s just one more thing to think about.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, abrasives are generally the accepted method to ensure removal of coatings.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m actually impressed something is left on wheels several years later.... if anything else it was a durable wheel coating....

What did you use to clean wheels? Matbe their was a slow reaction over the years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    I’m actually impressed something is left on wheels several years later.... if anything else it was a durable wheel coating....

What did you use to clean wheels? Matbe their was a slow reaction over the years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it can be scratched off I would suggest it sounds more like contamination or build up than anything else. Maybe road film?

Also second the above post... it has done well to last that long - never mind on wheels and having to withstand that temperature range.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    I’m actually impressed something is left on wheels several years later....
    I coated the Tahoe`s wheels years ago (I`d have to check the Detailing Log to say just when, it`s been forever..). Other than the bare spots in the barrels where the wheelweights were then (new tires last year) the coating is still just fine.

But that`s with the original OptiCoat, which I gather isn`t around any more. Unless I get that kind of performance out of some available alternative, I`ll probably just go back to conventional LSPs, which usually last until the seasonal change-overs when the wheels come off the (uear-round),vehicles anyhow.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
    If it can be scratched off I would suggest it sounds more like contamination or build up than anything else. Maybe road film?

Also second the above post... it has done well to last that long - never mind on wheels and having to withstand that temperature range.
    Most of the time I washed the wheels with regular car soap. I didn`t use wheel cleaner very often. On occasion I`d use a rinseless wash. Initially I thought it might be failing clearcoat on the wheels but it doesn`t look thick enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Regular soap won`t be enough to shift traffic film. I would use a dedicated wheel cleaner - others will be able to suggest products available in your local area.

I could be wrong by the way - coatings wear off, they don`t generally flake or leave residue unless it`s a really bad product.

Post Thanks / Like

Regular soap won`t be enough to shift traffic film. I would use a dedicated wheel cleaner - others will be able to suggest products available in your local area.

I could be wrong by the way - coatings wear off, they don`t generally flake or leave residue unless it`s a really bad product.
    Isn`t the whole point of coating a wheel is you can just maintain with shampoo? I`m also not imagining wannafbody`s rims being horribly neglected.

Post Thanks / Like

Regular soap won`t be enough to shift traffic film...
    -AND-

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus
    Isn`t the whole point of coating a wheel is you can just maintain with shampoo?
    A sorta-strong Shampoo (basically the same mix that I use as a concentrate for the Foamguns) is all I`ve used to clean my wheels (and wells/undercarriage/etc.) for years, both the ones that are Coated and the ones wearing conventional LSPs. The only ones that need Wheel Cleaners are the bare winter wheels for the Tahoe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information