Post Thanks / Like

New Wolfgang Ceramics vs. DGPS - hood test!

Hi All!
    I received Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant from the marvelous Meghan. Around the same time I purchased Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Spray Coating.

There’s a lot of buzz going on about these two, and a lot of questions. Particularly, how are they different, which has higher longevity, better behavior, how does the sealant compare to classic Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, etc. Hopefully this comparison test can help shed some light on some of the questions.

Besides testing the two new Wolfgang ceramic products and DGPS, I wanted to add two more old favorites for my own interest:

1) PBL Sealant as a resin-based, coating-ish, old-school comparison against WG SiO2 Paint Sealant (and DPGS for that matter).

2) Pinnacle Crystal SiO2 Spray Sealant (closest thing I had to the Wolfgang version) to compare against Uber Ceramic Spray Coating

Prep
    I polished my X5 hood with WG Finishing Glaze (polish) using LC orange pad, then hand polished with PBL Surface Cleansing Lotion, then finally a quick wipe with WG Perfekt Finish Pain Prep spray. Overkill, but I wanted to totally ensure the surface was squeaky clean.

Partial base coat
    To give the comparison an extra dimension, I taped off the front 1/3 of the hood and applied PBL Diamond Surface Coating and let cure 24 hours. The back 2/3 remains bare.

Application
    So I removed the boundary tape between bare paint and PBL Surface Coating and split the hood into 4 sections. Then, 1/4th of the hood split into two again for my Pinnacle comparisons (these get a bit less real estate since they are bonus guests).

From left to right (passenger to driver side):
    1a) Pinnacle Crystal SiO2 Spray
    1b) PBL Sealant
    2) WG Uber Ceramic Spray Coating
    3) WG SiO2 Paint Sealant
    4) WG DGPS

*Note: Tape is wider in front-middle to compare PBL Surface Coating as stand-alone

The 3 sealants all applied very easily and wiped off effortlessly. These are some of the easiest applying sealants and WG SiO2 is right there with them. I gave them all 30 minutes prior to wipe off. The newbie (SiO2 Paint Sealant) is a slightly thicker lotion consistency than the watery DGPS. It’s similar to PBL in its consistency. It smells closer to DGPS I guess.

The 2 sprays are quite different. The Pinnacle Spray Sealant is more watery and wipes on and off effortlessly, in fact it disappears into the paint. The Uber Spray Coating is clearly more ‘solvent’ in feel and smell. It can clearly be seen flashing with the rainbow colors. That residue is wiped off easily afterwards.

One hiccup during application.
    While spraying Uber Spray Coating, some drops from the spray-head dripped on the WG SiO2 Sealant section. This only happened on the front of the hood where PBL Surface is underneath. I blotted the Uber Spray carefully, wiped off, then reapplied SiO2 Sealant on this front hood area only. I’ll see if the spots behave differently and redo if needed.

Curing
    I’ll let these cure for 24 hours (each Wolfgang product requires 12 with no moisture) and provide updates when anything noticeable occurs.

Thanks for reading!
    Likes Coatings=crack, BudgetPlan1, glfnaz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Wolfgang Ceramics vs. DGPS - hood test!

Thanks for doing. The great PBMG face off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for doing this. I`ve been a fan of WDGPS for a while, and was wondering how it stacks up against their new stuff

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I haven`t been updating this thread on Autopia. The test is nearing it`s end and there is a recent update (as well as numerous previous updates) over on the sister site, AG. Sorry that I forgot to update on ACC!

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ml#post1676636
    Likes Loach liked this post

Thread Information