Post Thanks / Like

CanCoat Merlin mix

I’m a big fan of trying different Merlin mixes, that is, experimenting with the SiO2 Spray portion of the mix. The remainder of my mixes are always 0.75oz Ech2O and the rest distilled water in a 16oz bottle. I was able to find my fave, PA High Gloss Merlin mix by using an ounce of High Gloss. Is it a risk that you may waste an expensive ounce of product if the combo doesn’t work well? Sure. But I usually have plenty of product to spare since I’m a hobbyist with too much stuff.

Anyways, latest try was adding an ounce of CanCoat which I had opened recently to do my wife’s car and there’s no way I’ll use the full bottle unless I’m creative. I mixed this up about 2 weeks ago. The top was already clogged with a small brick of hardened/mushed SiO2. I was able to shake this out from the top so it is now an iceberg floating around in the bottle. I then used this mix as a drying aid on my X5 after washing with Enigma Shampoo. Enigma Shampoo already plays very well with the Enigma wax base and the combo look really nice on the graphite metallic paint, but I must say that CanCoat Merlin mix definitely adds some pizzazz:

Despite the frozen iceberg in the bottle, it’s clear with one fine mist that there is still heavy, unhardened CanCoat in the formula.

I would only recommend trying a combo like this if you plan to use it often right after mixing. I might even recommend trying only an 8oz bottle to make sure you use it before the entire thing hardens. Since realizing how fast it hardens, I’ve used it as a topper on my wife’s car (CanCoat base LSP) and now as this drying aid. I’ve also used it on the 8 wheels for each car. No streaking, just work it in until dry or nearly dry. Definitely darkens my black cars, which now looks like it has black paint instead of dark grey metallic.

Thanks for reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Stokdgs, BudgetPlan1, SNP209 liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, JRW67 thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CanCoat Merlin mix

Beautiful Bimmer ! Incredible Clarity and Gloss !!! You did good !!
    Dan F
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Love threads like this. Would be intrigued to see a cancoat / high gloss / water mix?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
    Love threads like this. Would be intrigued to see a cancoat / high gloss / water mix?
    With no Ech2O? I have a regular High Gloss Merlin I use.

FYI, CanCoat ended up hardening really quickly and I wouldn’t recommend the mix I tried in this thread... unless you planned on using it within a week or something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    With no Ech2O? I have a regular High Gloss Merlin I use.

FYI, CanCoat ended up hardening really quickly and I wouldn’t recommend the mix I tried in this thread... unless you planned on using it within a week or something.
    I saw on another thread that it didn`t work out as intended.. assume this was because of the SiO2 hardening in the bottle because it was made 2 weeks before you applied it?

Personally think waterless washes are a recipe for disaster - even if it was factually proven that they prevent marring (which will never be the case btw...) it just feels wrong. I am more interested in LSP mixes or dilutions to blend or alter a product`s characteristics.

I`ve tried two to reasonably good effect... BSD with FK425 and a colour charged spray wax with the remains of a Kamikaze Overcoat bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice! Like that SUV! Looks great!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice good idea. I bought essence plus a while back and add that to Merlin mixes or any other sio2 topper once in a while it does fill more and darkens. Essence plus is basically useless otherwise. Its like a sio2 sealant/glaze it does not repair like marketed so I’m trying to use up. It a copycat of tacsystems sio2 sealant total essential one or something like that

If it had a chemical cleaning ability like say klasse AIO then it would be a useable product otherwise save your funds.
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
    I saw on another thread that it didn`t work out as intended.. assume this was because of the SiO2 hardening in the bottle because it was made 2 weeks before you applied it?

Personally think waterless washes are a recipe for disaster - even if it was factually proven that they prevent marring (which will never be the case btw...) it just feels wrong. I am more interested in LSP mixes or dilutions to blend or alter a product`s characteristics.

I`ve tried two to reasonably good effect... BSD with FK425 and a colour charged spray wax with the remains of a Kamikaze Overcoat bottle.
    You are correct that the CanCoat hardened in the bottle rather quickly. Within a week or two. That killed my brilliant idea here.

I personally believe there is a place for waterless washes just like there is for QDs. But in a perfect world, one would foam or bucket wash for any slight dirt or dust.
    But when I make these Merlin mixes, I’m only using them as a clean surface gloss enhancement or drying aid. Maybe for a finger smudge here and there when they happen soon after a wash, but mainly just some extra wow, some slight protection enhancement, and assisting drying aid / preventing water spots. Basically the same way you use your two examples, I think.
    Thanks atbalfour thanked for this post

Thread Information