Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiar’s ceramic detailer is beyond good.

Oh yea I have 2 year old cancoat.... still in the can that I’m about to dig out now...
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Update, later that night (just now) after steady, light to moderate rain all day.

Middle panel (CMX):

Passenger side M37 CDS:

Drivers side Megs HCD:

My little ol’ opinion? I would say that both QDs handled the rain very well today and things look about equal to how they looked this morning, 2 posts above.

Post Thanks / Like

MCD seems to have tightest beading. Did you notice which side sheets beads best?

MCD worked well on my coating so far but its on sides.

CMX looks done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    MCD seems to have tightest beading. Did you notice which side sheets beads best?

MCD worked well on my coating so far but its on sides.

CMX looks done.
    Not sure if you mean Mckees Ceramic Detailer (Spray) for “MCD” or Megs (Hybrid) Ceramic Detailer for “MCD”... but this allows me to give my thoughts regardless:

Standstill beading:
    Megs has the tightest, tiniest beads, reminiscent of very good SiO2 Sprays like Cosmic or even, dare I say, CanCoat. Is this going to hold up as long or keep its beading this nice until fully gone? Obviously not. But to be able to do a quick coat of this and expect this type of self-cleaning for a short duration (whatever that duration ends up being) is really nice. Very little commitment/prep to make it happen.

Mckees looks decent, how I would expect a QD to look. Good beads, definitely improved the beat up CMX to make it look like I care about my car again. Not bad that it has held up well through rain all day. Some traditional QDs would be flooded away after this amount of rain.

CMX is toast, from an Autopia standpoint. I expect it to fully wear off soon and the PBL Sealant underneath to bring back decent beads (if I decide not to top anymore). In reality I will probably polish the hood and do a SiO2 Spray test soon... once the QDs wear off.

Sheeting during driving:
    Megs sheeted by far the fastest as I drove 30-45mph to the gym tonight.

The Mckees side eventually sheeted too but much delayed.

CMX barely sheeted off with the car in motion. It’s beads are fat and tired.
    Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    Oh yea I have 2 year old cancoat.... still in the can that I’m about to dig out now...
    Let us know if it works OK if you do use it. Shelf life is something I’m always interested in.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Autopians, but Dupont`s Rain Dance used to bead like that on single-stage paints back in the late 70`s, early `80`s.
    This fixation with hydroscopic beading was a BIG discussion point many years ago in this forum as an indicator of a Last-Step Product (LSP) still being present and offering protection from environmental fallout on a vehicle`s exterior paint surface. Seems we have come full circle again.
    Don`t get me wrong, I LOVE water beading because of my infatuation and past (and present) experience with carnauba waxes, in particular Collinite 915. From pics of the VERY small, tight water beading of the Meg`s Ceramic Detailer, it looks very impressive.

Still, if an spray-on detailer offered more of a sheeting water action, when the sun comes out and dries up the rain water and the vehicle has little to no residue on it and it looks clean, I would be more prone to liking that. There are two characteristics about carnauba waxes that users of this LSP dislike (HATE):
    1) Its electrostatic charge that it induces on surfaces that attract dirt and lot of it.
    2) Its rain water beading in flat surfaces that attract or gather this dirt and debris that when it dries in the sun, it leaves a vehicle looking REALLY dirty.

I begin to understand this infatuation with coatings and its advantages over carnauba waxes:
    1) Great reflection or shine (wet-look carnauba gloss)
    2) Superior environmental fallout protection
    3) Self-cleaning ability when it rains (IE, it does not ATTRACT dust and dirt)
    4) Enhanced durability and longevity
    (SO, Captain Obvious, have you convinced yourself to join this coating revolution? Or as humorist Will Rogers once said, "You can be on the right track, but if you are just standing there, you`ll still get run over!")

I assume, though, that this product (Meg-CD) is a maintenance-enhancer of LSP coatings, with ease of application and superior hydroscopic beading being its main selling points.
    GB detailer
    Likes DetailZeus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Update from this morning

And from just now (it’s been rainy all last night and today again)

M37

Seems like weather is taking its toll.

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar’s ceramic detailer is beyond good.

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Update from this morning

And from just now (it’s been rainy all last night and today again)

M37

Seems like weather is taking its toll.
    Cant really tell from pics... what do you mean by toll?

Post Thanks / Like

Cant really tell from pics... wglhat do you mean by toll.
    The ceramic QDs appear to look less “fresh” now. I guess I shouldn`t assume the QDs are beginning to fail, but initial beading of Megs HCD has gone from ‘amazing’ to ‘pretty good’ after being heavy rained on for 3 straight days. The drivers side and passenger sides are slowly looking less distinguishable than the old CMX in the middle.

None of this is Earth shattering news (a QD losing someone of its oomph), but these fine details may be desired by some readers to gauge the performance of these products.

I won’t post anymore unless something dramatic happens. Didn’t mean to hijack this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    The ceramic QDs appear to look less “fresh” now. I guess I shouldn`t assume the QDs are beginning to fail, but initial beading of Megs HCD has gone from ‘amazing’ to ‘pretty good’ after being heavy rained on for 3 straight days. The drivers side and passenger sides are slowly looking less distinguishable than the old CMX in the middle.

None of this is Earth shattering news (a QD losing someone of its oomph), but these fine details may be desired by some readers to gauge the performance of these products.

I won’t post anymore unless something dramatic happens. Didn’t mean to hijack this thread.
    No i appreciate the post and would love an update at 2 week and a month. Its a ceramic Detail spray and wouldnt expect more than 2-4 weeks.

Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

No i appreciate the post and would love an update at 2 week and a month. Its a ceramic Detail spray and wouldnt expect more than 2-4 weeks.
    My thoughts too. Even 4 weeks would be a long time for my QD expectations.

I typically us QD`s not so much for a shine or LSP durability boost, but more for a drying aid or water spot removal after a wash and the occasional bird dropping removal (it`s one reason I dabbled in WW`s as a QD). How would you rate the Meguiars for those types of duties?

Any thoughts on how this stacks up against Elixr?
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    My thoughts too. Even 4 weeks would be a long time for my QD expectations.

I typically us QD`s not so much for a shine or LSP durability boost, but more for a drying aid or water spot removal after a wash and the occasional bird dropping removal (it`s one reason I dabbled in WW`s as a QD). How would you rate the Meguiars for those types of duties?

Any thoughts on how this stacks up against Elixr?
    First, I agree that 2 or 4 weeks is more than ample for my QD expectations. I think BSD has skewed some expectations for QD longevity but I basically consider BSD a wrongly named spray sealant. BSD sprays on so think and requires a thorough round of buffing, consistent with substantial spray waxes.

Megs HCD goes on fairly thin, like a normal QD and worked right into the surface. No streaking and barely an extra buff required. For this reason, I imagine it should fair well as a drying aid. And I predict it has decent cleaning ability based on those properties. I didn’t test for either cases but will do so next opportunity and report back.

I should add that Mckees Ceramic Detail Spray shares similar characteristics during application to HCD.

I’ve not used the RTU Elixir, so I can’t comment. I have used PBL SiO2 Detail Spray which may be a comparable. I think the PBL was a bit thicker and probably requires a more thorough final wipe... not as bad as BSD, but not as thin and easy as HCD. I recall PBL lasting a few weeks in fall weather. If HCD can do the same with a friendlier application, bravo.

In the next week or so I will be doing a ceramic QD showdown and a ceramic spray wax showdown on some combination of hood/roof/trunk. I’ll be able to provide better comparisons at that time.

Post Thanks / Like

Update 2/14 (12th day):
    Both QDs hanging on, barely. I would say that for the last 4 days, each side has looked equal during the continued precipitation we’ve had. Both sides of the hood bead better than the middle with old LSP. Not sure if the below picture is high resolution enough to tell (taken today):

When driving 40mph, Megs still sheets the best, Mckees moderately behind, and the middle doesn’t sheet at all anymore.

The QDs have withstood a ton of rain and some snow in the last 11.5 days. They’ve kept the degraded LSP that they topped looking pretty decent still.
    Likes Loach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Acura nice post I really like the retail ceramic products over reload, cure, c2v3 hydro lite plus they are half price. I use the ceramic detailer again today work I like it a ton. It’s like bead maker but it actually beads well
    Likes acuRAS82, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I’m digging it too. Just applied Cosmic with the HCD and damn it looks good. Acura, if you got a spare panel give that combo a try. The black had an unreal depth....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information