Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Permanent" Coatings

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Not if it were competently explained to me that beading is for show, sheeting is for go.

If I could find a coating that is hydrophillic instead of hydrophobic, I`d be all over that. Don`t really care what my car looks like when wet, it`s what it looks like when it dries that matters to me.
    didnt you say on your website that mohs and csl appears to be more hydrophillic than hydrophobic so wouldnt you choose those over kamikaze? i recently put csl exo on my truck, loved how csl felt, not as much with exo on it, so i asked what about csl exo csl? i have no idea what the water behavior looks like nor do i really care since i cant really tell the difference. sort of like looking at a diamond with h or j color, i cant tell. so why not coat with csl and exo and top with exo every 6 months? or csl and top with csl every so often insead of overcoat or reload? just asking no idea how that would turn out. i was thinking of topping the csl exo with csl again just for ````s and giggles to bring back the slickness since thats really what i look for the most and 2nd being some kind of longer lasting protection than powerlock.

Post Thanks / Like

Permanent coating applied to a paint surface that is not permanent?
    Logic makes one question such a claim.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bolts View Post
    didnt you say on your website that mohs and csl appears to be more hydrophillic than hydrophobic so wouldnt you choose those over kamikaze?`
    While they are kinda-hydrophillic, it`s not enough to keep it clean with minimal effort.

The whole point of this for me is to keep my cars as clean and protected w little effort and the best I`ve found for me and my laziness is Kamikaze.

so why not coat with csl and exo and top with exo every 6 months?` or csl and top with csl every so often insead of overcoat or reload?
    Would require too much work. Easy now, wash then hit with Overcoat or Cosmic Spritz every now and again. Even those aren`t really necessary but more for fun/appearance change...and I gotta do something extra just for fun...when I want. But if I don`t do it, no harm, no foul.

` just asking no idea how that would turn out.` i was thinking of topping the csl exo with csl again just for ````s and giggles to bring back the slickness since thats really what i look for the most and 2nd being some kind of longer lasting protection than powerlock.
    Never know what combos will please ya until you try. I think CSL + Gyeon CanCoat is a nice combo...who woulda figured that.

There are multiple ways to `skin this cat` and now that I`ve found what works for me, not really looking for any more extensive experimentation. If one has the motivation and interest, the possibilities are endless with both existing and new products, just gotta find what works best for you...it`s the endless quest for the `best` but there probably isnt really such a thing so I`ll be happy with `best for me` "Permanent" Coatings

And worth noting, I`ve really got nothing to base any of my thoughts on other than what I see (as well as what I THINK I see) and trying to figure out maybe why so I`m really just kinda making it up as I go along. "Permanent" Coatings

Post Thanks / Like

i know what you mean about trying to keep cars clean with little effort is why i put uk+classic on my gf`s car but i topped with reload seeing how i read that was the way to go. now i regret topping it because i want to try putting on gliss on top of that. sounds like the majority of people use a maintenance type of product and i wonder is that really necessary. i am trying to avoid having to top a coating for maintenance after every wash or month. was hoping for a install it and forget about it kind of thing.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like the majority of people use a maintenance type of product and i wonder is that really necessary.
    I don`t think it`s necessary at all if you have a good coating. I have about 20 vehicles at work that dont even receive more than occasional soap/rinse tunnel wash much less a maintenance product.

Dating back to January 2017, the ones with a good coating always look better than the non-coated vehicles (or the ones with lesser coatings), still clean and shiny (relatively). Tar globs flick off easily, greasy palm prints, light chemical stains, nature debris...all clean off easily in the occasional touchless tunnel wash. They dont necessarily bead like they used to or the surface behavior is otherwise diminished but end of the day, they always look better than non-coated vehicles.

I probably top mine on occasion for a few reasons, and it`s mostly kinda like why I like a foam cannon...whether it really helps is up for debate but it`s easy, it`s quick, it entertains me and it can`t hurt.

I also do it on occasion for a change of appearance I think. I used to think it was possibly all in my mind but after using PA Cosmic Spritz on wifes Blue metallic car last wash (after only using Overcoat on it since 2016) she came home that night and asked what I did different so it must have been noticeable.

And in the case of Cosmic, it`s just so enjoyable to use that sometimes it seems like I`m washing the car not so much to get it clean overall as to get the surface ready to use the Cosmic...its just fun for me, the purple color, the smell, the feel of it going on and buffing off...its just fun (and not too much effort "Permanent" Coatings).

Who knows though...maybe living in a house with products on shelves, in cabinets and everywhere else, her mind is becoming as confusingly clouded as mine.
    Likes Coatings=crack, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I don`t think it`s necessary at all if you have a good coating. I have about 20 vehicles at work that dont even receive more than occasional soap/rinse tunnel wash much less a maintenance product.

Dating back to January 2017, the ones with a good coating always look better than the non-coated vehicles (or the ones with lesser coatings), still clean and shiny (relatively). Tar globs flick off easily, greasy palm prints, light chemical stains, nature debris...all clean off easily in the occasional touchless tunnel wash. They dont necessarily bead like they used to or the surface behavior is otherwise diminished but end of the day, they always look better than non-coated vehicles.

I probably top mine on occasion for a few reasons, and it`s mostly kinda like why I like a foam cannon...whether it really helps is up for debate but it`s easy, it`s quick, it entertains me and it can`t hurt.

I also do it on occasion for a change of appearance I think. I used to think it was possibly all in my mind but after using PA Cosmic Spritz on wifes Blue metallic car last wash (after only using Overcoat on it since 2016) she came home that night and asked what I did different so it must have been noticeable.

And in the case of Cosmic, it`s just so enjoyable to use that sometimes it seems like I`m washing the car not so much to get it clean overall as to get the surface ready to use the Cosmic...its just fun for me, the purple color, the smell, the feel of it going on and buffing off...its just fun (and not too much effort "Permanent" Coatings).

Who knows though...maybe living in a house with products on shelves, in cabinets and everywhere else, her mind is becoming as confusingly clouded as mine.
    Im with you in the sense that i love the feel of cosmic going on. The looks definitely are a plus too. Adds pop. Its the only topper I’ve used so far to wow me. I did my rear deck lid with the OC you sent me and cosmic on a raw trunk lid. Id have to say OC slightly performed better but looks of Cosmic is a winner.

I get the whole “why top it?” Coatings came along to give a longer life than sealants. Its the Mr. Miyagi in me that wants to top it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=SWETM;2169076]Now it`s not a coating though. But Soft99 Water Block Wax is designed to be sheeting properties only. If I only had more cars to test out on I would be over more products like this. I still have that Soft99 Glaco Mirror Coat Zero which is for side mirrors and the backing camera lens to also be hydrophilic so you have visual even when the vehical standing still or you have that vacuum sometimes where beads just hangs on to the mirrors. They do some cool stuff Soft99 I think. Bought the Soft99 Ultra Glaco glass sealant during the BF sales. Just need to be haveing a warm garage LOL.

Saw three videos on Soft99 and none of them looked hydrophillic all beaded well. Only when the water was free flowing out of the hose did it sheet.

Also, Zero had some poor reviews.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I just wrote a post about my experience with a coating type product. I think the product was called New Wheel or something similar. I`m not sure of the chemical composition of the product. But my experience is that after several years the product started to break down and turn cloudy. For this reason, I`d avoid any product that claims to be a permanent type product.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    I just wrote a post about my experience with a coating type product. I think the product was called New Wheel or something similar..
    Thanks for specifying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    If beading falls off that quickly it`s almost always due to lack of care by the owner (See Washing). I have several clients that take care of their cars going on over 4 years now with their coatings working as advertised. I`ve also had clients with beading that fell off within 6-12 months. The ones the fell off either failed to wash regularly and if/when they did wash it was just a touchless wash, which does not get the paint clean. If dirt is allowed to sit on the surface for a long time it will eventually start to bond to the surface and kill the hydrophobic properties. Winter chemicals can also clog up the coating but with regular washing and maybe an occasional decon (APC/Bug Squash) added in can keep them in check IME. With coatings you get out of them what you`re willing to put in. If you wash weekly or even bi-weekly you should have no trouble getting well over 2 years out of them, even without a topper. Up until this summer my longest running coating job (coated in 2010 with Opti-Coat) which I could still monitor was at 9 years and running until he traded it in for a new car last August. It was very well cared for, garaged, and only had 40,000 miles, but it was 9 YEARS! He always commented on how great it was and sent lots of work my way (I`ve worked with him for 14 years now and saw the car daily).
    Same experience with Opti-Coat. I was pretty new to detailing around 2007 and had a black 2004 G35 that was driving me nuts with the soft paint. It was recommended to use Opti-Coat and when I was done getting the paint flawless, I applied the coating as directed and when I was done and years after every wash, I was blown away how awesome the paint looked. Each time, it looked like I just finished detailing the car. I would do a double take and to think I had no experience with coatings and I nailed it, right out of the gate. Now I can`t get any OC unless I am a professional. In my case it goes to show you that you don`t have to be a pro to get a professional result. I have since sold the car but I was always proud of how awesome that black paint looked with nothing more than a good washing on a weekly basis.
    Now I am waiting on the sidelines for another OC like product that will last for years with proper maintenance and nothing else, and I mean not having to maintain with another product

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information