Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 52 of 52
  1. #46

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "Permanent" Coatings

    Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Not if it were competently explained to me that beading is for show, sheeting is for go.

    If I could find a coating that is hydrophillic instead of hydrophobic, I`d be all over that. Don`t really care what my car looks like when wet, it`s what it looks like when it dries that matters to me.
    didnt you say on your website that mohs and csl appears to be more hydrophillic than hydrophobic so wouldnt you choose those over kamikaze? i recently put csl exo on my truck, loved how csl felt, not as much with exo on it, so i asked what about csl exo csl? i have no idea what the water behavior looks like nor do i really care since i cant really tell the difference. sort of like looking at a diamond with h or j color, i cant tell. so why not coat with csl and exo and top with exo every 6 months? or csl and top with csl every so often insead of overcoat or reload? just asking no idea how that would turn out. i was thinking of topping the csl exo with csl again just for ````s and giggles to bring back the slickness since thats really what i look for the most and 2nd being some kind of longer lasting protection than powerlock.

  2. #47

    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Posts
    3,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "Permanent" Coatings

    Permanent coating applied to a paint surface that is not permanent?
    Logic makes one question such a claim.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

  3. #48
    BudgetPlan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,269
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "Permanent" Coatings

    Quote Originally Posted by bolts View Post
    didnt you say on your website that mohs and csl appears to be more hydrophillic than hydrophobic so wouldnt you choose those over kamikaze?`
    While they are kinda-hydrophillic, it`s not enough to keep it clean with minimal effort.

    The whole point of this for me is to keep my cars as clean and protected w little effort and the best I`ve found for me and my laziness is Kamikaze.

    Quote Originally Posted by bolts View Post
    so why not coat with csl and exo and top with exo every 6 months?` or csl and top with csl every so often insead of overcoat or reload?
    Would require too much work. Easy now, wash then hit with Overcoat or Cosmic Spritz every now and again. Even those aren`t really necessary but more for fun/appearance change...and I gotta do something extra just for fun...when I want. But if I don`t do it, no harm, no foul.

    Quote Originally Posted by bolts View Post
    ` just asking no idea how that would turn out.` i was thinking of topping the csl exo with csl again just for ````s and giggles to bring back the slickness since thats really what i look for the most and 2nd being some kind of longer lasting protection than powerlock.
    Never know what combos will please ya until you try. I think CSL + Gyeon CanCoat is a nice combo...who woulda figured that.

    There are multiple ways to `skin this cat` and now that I`ve found what works for me, not really looking for any more extensive experimentation. If one has the motivation and interest, the possibilities are endless with both existing and new products, just gotta find what works best for you...it`s the endless quest for the `best` but there probably isnt really such a thing so I`ll be happy with `best for me`

    And worth noting, I`ve really got nothing to base any of my thoughts on other than what I see (as well as what I THINK I see) and trying to figure out maybe why so I`m really just kinda making it up as I go along.

  4. #49

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "Permanent" Coatings

    i know what you mean about trying to keep cars clean with little effort is why i put uk+classic on my gf`s car but i topped with reload seeing how i read that was the way to go. now i regret topping it because i want to try putting on gliss on top of that. sounds like the majority of people use a maintenance type of product and i wonder is that really necessary. i am trying to avoid having to top a coating for maintenance after every wash or month. was hoping for a install it and forget about it kind of thing.

  5. #50
    BudgetPlan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,269
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "Permanent" Coatings

    Quote Originally Posted by bolts View Post
    sounds like the majority of people use a maintenance type of product and i wonder is that really necessary.
    I don`t think it`s necessary at all if you have a good coating. I have about 20 vehicles at work that dont even receive more than occasional soap/rinse tunnel wash much less a maintenance product.

    Dating back to January 2017, the ones with a good coating always look better than the non-coated vehicles (or the ones with lesser coatings), still clean and shiny (relatively). Tar globs flick off easily, greasy palm prints, light chemical stains, nature debris...all clean off easily in the occasional touchless tunnel wash. They dont necessarily bead like they used to or the surface behavior is otherwise diminished but end of the day, they always look better than non-coated vehicles.

    I probably top mine on occasion for a few reasons, and it`s mostly kinda like why I like a foam cannon...whether it really helps is up for debate but it`s easy, it`s quick, it entertains me and it can`t hurt.

    I also do it on occasion for a change of appearance I think. I used to think it was possibly all in my mind but after using PA Cosmic Spritz on wifes Blue metallic car last wash (after only using Overcoat on it since 2016) she came home that night and asked what I did different so it must have been noticeable.

    And in the case of Cosmic, it`s just so enjoyable to use that sometimes it seems like I`m washing the car not so much to get it clean overall as to get the surface ready to use the Cosmic...its just fun for me, the purple color, the smell, the feel of it going on and buffing off...its just fun (and not too much effort ).

    Who knows though...maybe living in a house with products on shelves, in cabinets and everywhere else, her mind is becoming as confusingly clouded as mine.
    Likes Coatings=crack, SWETM liked this post

  6. #51

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    881
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "Permanent" Coatings

    Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I don`t think it`s necessary at all if you have a good coating. I have about 20 vehicles at work that dont even receive more than occasional soap/rinse tunnel wash much less a maintenance product.

    Dating back to January 2017, the ones with a good coating always look better than the non-coated vehicles (or the ones with lesser coatings), still clean and shiny (relatively). Tar globs flick off easily, greasy palm prints, light chemical stains, nature debris...all clean off easily in the occasional touchless tunnel wash. They dont necessarily bead like they used to or the surface behavior is otherwise diminished but end of the day, they always look better than non-coated vehicles.

    I probably top mine on occasion for a few reasons, and it`s mostly kinda like why I like a foam cannon...whether it really helps is up for debate but it`s easy, it`s quick, it entertains me and it can`t hurt.

    I also do it on occasion for a change of appearance I think. I used to think it was possibly all in my mind but after using PA Cosmic Spritz on wifes Blue metallic car last wash (after only using Overcoat on it since 2016) she came home that night and asked what I did different so it must have been noticeable.

    And in the case of Cosmic, it`s just so enjoyable to use that sometimes it seems like I`m washing the car not so much to get it clean overall as to get the surface ready to use the Cosmic...its just fun for me, the purple color, the smell, the feel of it going on and buffing off...its just fun (and not too much effort ).

    Who knows though...maybe living in a house with products on shelves, in cabinets and everywhere else, her mind is becoming as confusingly clouded as mine.
    Im with you in the sense that i love the feel of cosmic going on. The looks definitely are a plus too. Adds pop. Its the only topper I’ve used so far to wow me. I did my rear deck lid with the OC you sent me and cosmic on a raw trunk lid. Id have to say OC slightly performed better but looks of Cosmic is a winner.

    I get the whole “why top it?” Coatings came along to give a longer life than sealants. Its the Mr. Miyagi in me that wants to top it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post

  7. #52

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    698
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "Permanent" Coatings

    [QUOTE=SWETM;2169076]Now it`s not a coating though. But Soft99 Water Block Wax is designed to be sheeting properties only. If I only had more cars to test out on I would be over more products like this. I still have that Soft99 Glaco Mirror Coat Zero which is for side mirrors and the backing camera lens to also be hydrophilic so you have visual even when the vehical standing still or you have that vacuum sometimes where beads just hangs on to the mirrors. They do some cool stuff Soft99 I think. Bought the Soft99 Ultra Glaco glass sealant during the BF sales. Just need to be haveing a warm garage LOL.



    Saw three videos on Soft99 and none of them looked hydrophillic all beaded well. Only when the water was free flowing out of the hose did it sheet.

    Also, Zero had some poor reviews.

 

 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Describing "The Look" of Waxes, Sealants , and Coatings
    By Lonnie in forum Car Detailing Product Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-04-2019, 12:02 PM
  2. Old Dog learns a new trick with "coatings"
    By rotts4u in forum Car Detailing Product Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-30-2016, 01:24 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-06-2014, 08:50 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-04-2011, 03:35 PM
  5. "Industrial Coatings" sealant anyone?
    By scout in forum Car Detailing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-19-2004, 12:05 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •