Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommendations for a wheel LSP.

FK1000P works, but if one is going through all the work of taking the wheels off, one might as well coat the wheel with some type of paint coating. Yes paint coating, there are some reports, that I have been coming across, that are noticing longer performance going with *certain* paint coatings vs *certain* wheel coatings. Heck while one is in there and has plastic/painted wheel wells, clean and coat them, too.

@Fishing, you have no need to worry about coating a wheel, unless it is black. If the vehicle you have in question is a daily driver, chances are that you will not notice any high spots due to some level of dirt getting onto the wheel. In fact, coating a wheel is a great place to start with ceramic coatings because only a certain percentage of the wheel is visible at a given time, so if you mess up, chances are that you will not see the mess up.

I`ve have been back in LBK for two weeks, there is so much dust here that dressings are like a magnet for dirt, well everything here is a magnet for dirt. If I can get the opportunity I would love to coat all of the wheel wells, plastics, wheels, and tires so I don`t have to worry much about them, and just keep them clean. Coating is the way to go and with proper prep and good coating, you`ll get longer protection with a coating vs any type of sealant. Shoot, I`d love to coat the whole car and just call it a day. As of today, my SNS failed on the roof, one month`s longevity. The conditions are pretty harsh though.

Back to topic, if going wheels off, clean and coat everything you can and don`t look back. If you don`t want to spend a ton of money on a coating, look to DPC Shield as it will go on anything but glass and interior, and is $39.00 for 4 floz. You can`t beat that deal unless you want to step up to something like GTech CSL or KAMIKAZE ISM COAT V2.0. The one caveat to DPC Shield is that you will get about a years worth of durability unlike the longer durability of a higher grade coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    FK1000P works, but if one is going through all the work of taking the wheels off, one might as well coat the wheel with some type of paint coating..
    Eh, maybe it`s just me, or the style of the wheels, but there was *NO* comparison between how long it took me to do the coating vs. AIO + FK1000P. Factored over time, doing the coating wasn`t time-efficient for me; it took longer overall.

That`s leaving aside the topic of how often the wheels oughta come off for a proper cleaning anyhow

If the vehicle you have in question is a daily driver, chances are that you will not notice any high spots due to some level of dirt getting onto the wheel.
    I dunno...guess that`s one of those (legitimately) subjective things.

...Heck while one is in there and has plastic/painted wheel wells, clean and coat them, too....If I can get the opportunity I would love to coat all of the wheel wells, plastics, wheels, and tires so I don`t have to worry much about them, and just keep them clean.
    IME, you don`t need coatings to get those areas to the point where you can just maintain them with a SprayWax in the course of the maintenance washes. Once they`re clean and protected (with most anything), it`s really easy to keep them that way. As with the wheels, that always gets me by until the next biannual Big Cleanup (OK, the ones that don`t get driven in the winter only get that annually), and every year that Big job gets easier too.

Eh...I sound more critical of coatings than I intend to. More like I`m arguing with you than I mean to also! Maybe it`s one of those Sour Grapes things...the approach doesn`t seem to work as well for me as it does for you (and others) so in my disappointment I`m being critical when maybe I`m the, uhm...confounding factor
    Likes Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    FK1000P works, but if one is going through all the work of taking the wheels off, one might as well coat the wheel with some type of paint coating. Yes paint coating, there are some reports, that I have been coming across, that are noticing longer performance going with *certain* paint coatings vs *certain* wheel coatings. Heck while one is in there and has plastic/painted wheel wells, clean and coat them, too.

@Fishing, you have no need to worry about coating a wheel, unless it is black. If the vehicle you have in question is a daily driver, chances are that you will not notice any high spots due to some level of dirt getting onto the wheel. In fact, coating a wheel is a great place to start with ceramic coatings because only a certain percentage of the wheel is visible at a given time, so if you mess up, chances are that you will not see the mess up.

Back to topic, if going wheels off, clean and coat everything you can and don`t look back. If you don`t want to spend a ton of money on a coating, look to DPC Shield as it will go on anything but glass and interior, and is $39.00 for 4 floz. You can`t beat that deal unless you want to step up to something like GTech CSL or KAMIKAZE ISM COAT V2.0. The one caveat to DPC Shield is that you will get about a years worth of durability unlike the longer durability of a higher grade coating.
    I am going to agree with you on this. It may be a bit time consuming but coating them is worth it. I have used FK1000 on wheels and was not impressed by it.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Marine Clerk liked this post
    Thanks Marine Clerk thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I have used FK1000 on wheels and was not impressed by it.
    Ah, interesting! What about it didn`t work for you?

(I`m always curious about applications where it does *NOT* work out...some negative feedback will give me food for thought when it comes to my future recommendations. Lots of variables can factor in, resulting in YMMV!)

I`m still mulling over what to use my 22ple coating on...the S8`s wheels would be easy enough to coat, but it doesn`t get driven enough to justify it. The others just seem too problematic *for me* but I *am* still thinking on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hydro2 gets my vote
    It`s all I use on my wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried Adams ceramic WW on their wheels as a LSP? Ive used a bunch of products over Opti coat on my wheels. Bead Maker, 007, HYDRO2, etc. nothing last through a couple washes. I then used Adams ceramic waterless wash after a full wash .. final wipe down. I noticed after washing with Diluted Power clean the surface was super slick still. I did the same after Arriving home from the coin up/wash bay I wiped down again with the Adams WW. Stuff seems pretty legit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by re-tired View Post
    Hydro2 gets my vote
    It`s all I use on my wheels
    I’ve liked Hydro 2 and used a lot of it. No complaints. I did however buy a couple of gallons of McKee’s 37 Hydro Blue and have been using it recently. I can’t honestly say I notice any real performance or longevity differences between the two.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Thanks re-tired thanked for this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information