Post Thanks / Like

How to remove paint rub from ceramic coating

A minor incident has resulted in a few flecks of white paint on the edge of the driver`s door on my car. (Going into the details of the incident is very bad for my blood pressure.) The car is coated with CQuartz Finest Reserve. My question is: what can I do to remove the paint flecks without damaging the coating? Is that possible? Below is a photo showing several flecks (and my finger for scale). The flecks are only on the edge of the door -- ignore the dirt on the surface from this morning`s rain.

How to remove paint rub from ceramic coating-img_2383.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to remove paint rub from ceramic coating

Do you know what the paint is based on?
    It can be with a little luck easy desolved with a solvent that gets the white paint off and no damage to the coating. Like a tar remover can desolve some paints effectively as SS paint touch up. Some paints could need acetone to be desolved. The problem could be that even if it`s paint transfer it could have been abrading off the ceramic coating. It`s easy if it`s just little areas where you can use something like Carpro Reload on the parts and around where you had the paint transfer. Or any other coating topper you use.

Post Thanks / Like

Car Pro`s Essence Plus will not remove the coating, but might remove the paint transfer.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that latex paint from the wall or something like? Just trying to help by finding out what kind of paint, not the details of the incident. So Hopefully advice can be even more accurate.

The edge of the door, I`m think the coating is probably like paint on edges, very thin (comparatively speaking). I would be less worried about going through the coating on that little area. I`m with swetm on this too, that hopefully a solvent will work. If you have to use an abrasive I`d do so delicately because paint is do thin there. My first thought was citrol 266.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Try 91 percent alcohol, any abrasive will damage the coating. Best advice is call the installer and see if they’ll take care of it. If it was my client I’d just take care of it.
    Likes Coleroad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What about claying it off? I guess you`d have to be really gentle to avoid compromising the coating....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. Unfortunately, it is paint from another car -- I wish it was latex. I emailed my installer but didn`t hear back. He`s a really nice guy and very talented but his business acumen leaves something to be desired. Communication has always been difficult. He`s 140 miles away so I can`t just drop by.

I`m going to sort the suggestions from least "dangerous" to most and try them in that order until the spots are gone. Will report back. Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Dmath -
    Welcome to the Forum !

Is the Coating completely - Cured - ??? This is different from Dry...

If this is on a door - edge - only, there is very little paint on all edges and of course, very little of the Coating on that edge..

I can`t really tell from the picture so I am assuming that the door was opened, and the edge hit the white car, and paint was transferred..

Sometimes, in cases like this, the paint is just stuck on top and can be removed with some solvent and a sharp pointed Q-tip. If I was doing this, I would of course, try some mild cleaning agent first..

Sometimes, it has to be polished off or compounded off, depending on how hard the "rub" was.. Like when someone with a white car backs into your black car and leaves a big white paint transfer on your bumper..

In any event, in my experience, the amount of your Coating on the edge is so little, that as long as you are careful how you remove it, the edge will not be impacted by possibly not having a tiny bit of the Coating gone..

In decades of doing this I have never run across any Door edge that needed any more than a quick, extremely light pass with the machine using nothing aggressive and it was good..

This is one of the reasons when I get a clear bra applied to my personal vehicles, I always have the Installer apply a thin strip around all door edges..

Good luck with this !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

If the coating is cured it should be able to withstand most solvents so I`d try that. Probably start with mineral spirits.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dan and Rasky for the input. An update...

I bought this car used about a year ago. The previous owner was none too kind to the paint. So I had a paint correction and ceramic coating done. What a difference. After posting here and reading the replies, I tried wiping with a mild cleaner. To my surprise, the cloth had red on it and the white spots grew. They aren`t paint rubs, they`re primer showing through. Either the previous owner or the dealer from whom I bought it, must have put touchup paint on the door edge. It looked OK but was, it seems, bad paint because it didn`t hold up to cleaning. When I wash the car, I always wipe down sills and inside the door but guess I never did the door edge.

So I`ve ordered a two-part touchup kit (base and clear) from PaintScratch as well as some 1.5mm touchup brushes so that I can fix this correctly. After it cures, I`ll coat with something compatible with the Cquartz. A bit more of a project than I had planned but at least it will be done right. I`ll report back when done.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

dmath- Ah, that`s a different kettle of fish, huh? Hope the touchup goes OK. Are you planning to level the touchups?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    dmath- Ah, that`s a different kettle of fish, huh? Hope the touchup goes OK. Are you planning to level the touchups?
    I still have to research how to best apply touchup paint. I plan to do whatever will give the best result. I`m not in a hurry, I just want to make sure it`s right.

Post Thanks / Like

dmath- Just FWIW, I`d think about using a single-stage touchup paint and a chemical leveling system for that particular job. Sometimes b/c is best sometimes not, same with abrasive leveling vs. doing it chemically. With little spots like those, I find the b/c + wetsand utterly insufferable compared to just using something like DrColorChips (used like regular touchup paint, NOT their "smear it around" method) or a ss touchup paint leveled with Langka.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to look at Dr Colorchip. It’s pretty easy to work with.

Thread Information