Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Recommendations for a wheel LSP.

I am asking for help finding a LSP for wheels. I am not ready to try a ceramic coating.
    My priorities are:
    #1 Protection
    #2 Longevity

I am thinking of winter protections here. Does anyone have any recommendations ?

Thank you for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommendations for a wheel LSP.

Try Sonax PNS. As close to a coating without being a coating.
    Likes SGM2008 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

rimccarty2000- thank you for the response, I will look into the Sonax PNS.

Post Thanks / Like

Just get a spray and rinse product like CarPro Hydro2, Mckee’s 37 Hydro Blue, Gyeon Wet Coat, etc.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes re-tired liked this post
    Thanks Fishing thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Try Sonax PNS. As close to a coating without being a coating.
    This a great choice if you don`t want to spring for a true wheel coating. I still use PNS on my son`s car that`s not garaged.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Western PA and all the family DD`s stay outside 24/7, reserving the one available garage stall for my Camino. My favorite for wheels is Finish Kare FK1000p. Just an inexpensive wax/sealant, but it lasts nearly forever on wheels. Accumulator is a serious fan of this on his vehicle`s paint for its longevity. If I`m not doing a coating, I prefer one of the Collinite pastes, either 476 or 915 for winter paint prep, but neither seems to last as long on wheels as the FK. BTW, I have three different variations of wheels on the family fleet:silver painted, clearcoated and chrome. Performance of the FK is great on all variations. None of the cars gets serious mileage, but an intense wheel cleaning is needed only twice yearly. Otherwise, the wheels get cleaned with whatever I`m using on the paint.

Bill
    Thanks Fishing, Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Just get a spray and rinse product like CarPro Hydro2, Mckee’s 37 Hydro Blue, Gyeon Wet Coat, etc.
    Yep. Get the wheels CLEAN. Then use one of the above. Easy and DONE.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Third the spray and rinse. Been slacking on coating wheels with how easy hydro blue is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The Sonax PNS sure gets raver reviews! It`s one of the few things that gets favorably compared to FK1000P on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jack View Post
    .. My favorite for wheels is Finish Kare FK1000p. Just an inexpensive wax/sealant, but it lasts nearly forever on wheels. Accumulator is a serious fan of this...
    Right.

I previously used KSG X 6, having found Collinite (845 and 476S) insufficiently durable. But getting six layers of anything on wheels means "off the road for days" and the FK1000P holds up about as well with far fewer layers.

FK1000P`ed wheels do indeed clean up fine with shampoo mix, and if an occasional quickie reapplication on the faces needs doing that`s easy enough. No, I don`t bother refreshing the back sides, I just let that go until the Big Annual Job. Which isn`t really *that* big of a job as everything usually cleans up quite easily, even any areas that I`ve somehow failed to keep nice throughout the year (that would be a clue that I need to do better ).

I have a new bottle of 22ple coating sitting here for use on some wheels, but I`m actually experiencing Buyer`s Remorse over it because I can`t justify the time/effort compared to just using an AIO followed by the FK, which goes *MUCH* quicker for me and is utterly Accumulator-proof (the OptiCoat wasn`t bad, but it was a lot harder than AIO + FK1000P and any issues needed spotted right away, which doesn`t always work for me).

I don`t get the Hydro2/etc. approach for, uhm..."wheels that matter"...how do you do the barrels/back sides well enough that they`re not nasty by the time you pull the wheels off to do things right? I`m not flaming it, and it sounds kinda similar to what do on the Tahoe`s winter wheels, which I`ve been leaving bare, cleaning with Wheel Cleaner, and wiping with [whatever Drying Aid] to keep `em shiny and dust-shedding. BUT...that`s an old set of winter wheels on the beater truck, not like the nice oe wheels I run on it during the warmer months, let alone any wheels on the other vehicles. And even those need attention to the back sides/barrels even if I`m just doing something quick and I`m not sure how you`d do that with Hydro2/etc.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW great response and informations,,,good learning material. Now i got some thinking to do Thank you all for your help and time.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a couple of thin coats of #1000P is all you really need, heck, if you want put on more than 2.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for FK1000P. Not as easy to apply as spray and rinse. But last much longer for me. I haven`t been impressed with Wet Coat or hydroblue. Application is stupid easy, just wasn`t happy with the longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    Just a couple of thin coats of #1000P is all you really need, heck, if you want put on more than 2.
    Yeah, and doing too many layers, too close together, can render the FK1000P, uhm...less than Accumulator-proof; you can get pseudo-holograms that can be a huge PIA to sort out.

(Ketch has explained what probably went haywire for me, yes indeed- "user-error!", but still...it`s easier for *me* to just not overdo the layering compared to changing my technique. Yeah, I realize how [crappy] that sounds )

On the back sides/barrels I do try to get three or four layers, just because I don`t plan to refresh those areas and I don`t want anything I miss to build up and be a hassle later when I do that Big Annual Redo.
    Likes Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the help, going to give the FK1000p a try

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing- If you get a chance, please post back about how the FK works for you. I`m such a fanboy for the stuff that I kinda feel responsible whenever somebody here tries it for the first time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information