Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 49
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Disastrous novice attempt to ceramic coat

    The room for error with coatings is entirely on the user IMO. If you`re not through, trying to rush it, impatient, etc, you may get high spots. Apply it evenly, wait for the flash, and wipe thoroughly, and you `ll never have a problem.
    Likes Bobh591 liked this post

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    459
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Disastrous novice attempt to ceramic coat

    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Better Wreck less than reckless Sorry, sorry..I just couldn`t resist
    lol good slip on my part, hummm


    Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    The room for error with coatings is entirely on the user IMO. If you`re not through, trying to rush it, impatient, etc, you may get high spots. Apply it evenly, wait for the flash, and wipe thoroughly, and you `ll never have a problem.
    I think watching a YT video before your 1st attempt would help a lot. When I applied my 1st coating I actually read the directions multiple times, and went slow and methodical. I was proud at my restraint from just flying threw it. The next ay I had some high spots, which really upset me since I was so careful. I was sure I had 100% nailed it. So I watched a YT video later that day and learned to not lift the applicator block until you`ve done an entire section. Made sense to me when I saw it, but the instructions didn`t mention this. A good YT video will give some solid tips that instructions won`t mention, or just read someone`s write up on here. Between posts here and YT videos I`ve learned a lot. Left to my own trial and error my techniques would be pretty bad lol.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Disastrous novice attempt to ceramic coat

    Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post
    I think watching a YT video before your 1st attempt would help a lot. When I applied my 1st coating I actually read the directions multiple times, and went slow and methodical. I was proud at my restraint from just flying threw it. The next ay I had some high spots, which really upset me since I was so careful. I was sure I had 100% nailed it. So I watched a YT video later that day and learned to not lift the applicator block until you`ve done an entire section. Made sense to me when I saw it, but the instructions didn`t mention this. A good YT video will give some solid tips that instructions won`t mention, or just read someone`s write up on here. Between posts here and YT videos I`ve learned a lot. Left to my own trial and error my techniques would be pretty bad lol.
    That`s exactly what I did back when I first tried a coating. I was nervous what would happen if I messed it up, so watched some YouTube videos and practiced on a friends car. Many. many cars later I`ve yet to have a high spot and honestly I`m not sure how I could get a high spot unless I simply went too fast and didn`t wipe off thoroughly.

  4. #34
    Mary B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Burnsville Mn.
    Posts
    1,480
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Disastrous novice attempt to ceramic coat

    Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post
    lol good slip on my part, hummm




    I think watching a YT video before your 1st attempt would help a lot. When I applied my 1st coating I actually read the directions multiple times, and went slow and methodical. I was proud at my restraint from just flying threw it. The next ay I had some high spots, which really upset me since I was so careful. I was sure I had 100% nailed it. So I watched a YT video later that day and learned to not lift the applicator block until you`ve done an entire section. Made sense to me when I saw it, but the instructions didn`t mention this. A good YT video will give some solid tips that instructions won`t mention, or just read someone`s write up on here. Between posts here and YT videos I`ve learned a lot. Left to my own trial and error my techniques would be pretty bad lol.
    Yep this sounds alot like what I did with my daily...plus played it out in my head, until I was ready.
    Worked out well, but I only did one coat. Because when I laid a second coat on the hood, the coating behaved different...looked cloudy, like air between the layers. I had to
    wipe alot more on the second layer, it seemed. The one coat has been great !!

    Yes a coating has made me lazy, so only wax and sealant on my GQ. I miss a good wax

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    85,896
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Disastrous novice attempt to ceramic coat

    quebert- Glad I didn`t give offense, and I`m figuring it was one of those auto-spell glitches anyhow.

    Mary B- Heh heh, if "Coatings made me lazy" means you spent less time Detailing while still having a nicely kept vehicle, I`d think that`d be a feature!

  6. #36
    DETAILED TODAY? PA DETAILER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    5,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Disastrous novice attempt to ceramic coat

    Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post


    Thanks for this post ....
    Iíve been making plans to coat my truck, this is very informative.
    You got a truck?
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    85,896
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Disastrous novice attempt to ceramic coat

    Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    The room for error with coatings is entirely on the user IMO. If you`re not through, trying to rush it, impatient, etc, you may get high spots. Apply it evenly, wait for the flash, and wipe thoroughly, and you `ll never have a problem.
    Keep in mind that a certain level of close-vision is called for too, along with the right inspection/working lighting.

    Even before the latest rounds of eye surgery, I found it incredibly hard to see what was going on when applying GlossCoat.

    Yeah, "Sorry about your luck old guy...next!" comes to mind, but I`m just saying it`s not entirely about the user being careless/etc. I wouldn`t bet a nickel that I could do a whole vehicle without missing something that I`d see later under other conditions..when it`d be too late.

    I guess I just can`t believe that I`m the only person here for whom this is a genuine challenge..it`s not like my vision is "daily life-compromised" or anything, it`s just not good (enough) for this. But then I`ll spend literally hours sorting out holograms that "nobody else sees" too

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Posts
    1,288
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Disastrous novice attempt to ceramic coat

    I`m also sorry that this has happened to you. Coatings are a learning curve and I learned alot of tricks and techniques when I went for my ceramic coating training/certification. The important thing to remember with coatings is that they don`t go on like normal waxes/sealants. Make sure the surface is 100% polishing residue free. I use the Jade Surface Prep. It is better than a 50/50 IPA alcohol because, although the IPA will do the job, it dries relatively quickly. The Jade Surface Prep doesn`t dry up quite as quick, thus ensuring that all residue is removed from the surface of the vehicle for ultimate bonding. The ceramic coatings take a little more time and attention. I work 1`x1` sections. You don`t want to wait so long until it begins to rainbow, but just prior that, you should remove it. It should be slightly tacky to the touch with a rubber glove. In working in small sections like that, to ensure complete coverage, there will be overlapping and some high spots. If you catch it during application, you can re-apply to the suede applicator and go back over it to level it off. If you don`t see it until the next day or so, then you will have to level it with a polish. I am certified in the Jade Product Line and absolutely love it and my clients love it as well. Overall, it is not to difficult to work with, presents excellent visual qualities and great longevity. To level off a high spot that wasn`t noticed for a day or two, I use Detail King Silica Polish and it knocks them right down. Then a re-application of the ceramic coating in that area and it`s "ready to go".

    The important thing is don`t rush it, and don`t reboot (reload) until the original coating has had time to cure. Jade recommends every 3 months to reboot (reload), however, I have clients that come back for normal washes on vehicle`s that I have ceramic coated 3-4 years ago and never performed a reboot and the coating is holding up great! I also wash ceramic coated vehicles with a ceramic coating specific shampoo, so that is also something to be cognizant of.

    Overall, it may seem like a disaster, but in the grand scheme of things, it`s nothing that can`t be fixed. I wish you luck on fixing it and if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me for assistance!
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Disastrous novice attempt to ceramic coat

    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Keep in mind that a certain level of close-vision is called for too, along with the right inspection/working lighting.

    Even before the latest rounds of eye surgery, I found it incredibly hard to see what was going on when applying GlossCoat.

    Yeah, "Sorry about your luck old guy...next!" comes to mind, but I`m just saying it`s not entirely about the user being careless/etc. I wouldn`t bet a nickel that I could do a whole vehicle without missing something that I`d see later under other conditions..when it`d be too late.

    I guess I just can`t believe that I`m the only person here for whom this is a genuine challenge..it`s not like my vision is "daily life-compromised" or anything, it`s just not good (enough) for this. But then I`ll spend literally hours sorting out holograms that "nobody else sees" too
    If you are thorough and have good technique in applying evenly and making sure when you wipe off, you are not missing spots, even if you can`t see exactly what the coating is doing, you`ll still be able to wipe it all off. High spots are just areas that the user missed when wiping off. I`ve coated in poor lighting for various reasons, but that only made me be more thorough with my wiping off of the coating so I wiped more than what would be usual just because I knew I couldn`t see everything in those situations.

    In some colors it`s harder to see the coating clearly, but I haven`t come across any color that you simply cannot see the coating at all, or at least looking at it at an angle and seeing the flashing of it, etc. I think it still comes down to the user. The whole reason the manufacturers of coatings keep coming out with easier to apply and remove coatings is because it comes down to the user. Just like not everyone can be a mechanic, or a doctor, or whatever other profession, not everyone has the attention to detail to be a good or high level detailer. I`ve tried to train people in polishing and no matter what they just can`t get it down. The same goes for anything else, like washing a car properly or applying a coating.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    85,896
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Disastrous novice attempt to ceramic coat

    RZJZA80- I`m sure not arguing against Coatings categorically, (recommended one to bcgreen), just saying that different people are different with regard to what`s feasible for them. Guess I`m posting about that so others don`t think "gee, it must be me "

    Note that I`m not lacking in confidence and I consider Detailing to be a pretty easy skillset to master if gone about right.

    Remember that I`ve used OptiCoat and GlossCoat. While I figure that all coatings are not the same, I am speaking from first-hand experience.

    Coating the previous Crown Vic`s wheels was a lot harder than using a conventional LSP..no comparison. I figured it was a learning curve situation. But..

    On the Tahoe`s "Machined Finish" wheels it was *incredibly* difficult for me to do it right. Just to avoid having to do an easy-peasy conventional job a few times! That was despite great lighting/etc. In hindsight it was a complete waste of resources. Which is why my new 22ple Coating is just sitting on the shelf, probably going bad.

    There`s no way I`d risk having an "oops!" on anything that might matter more to me than those wheels, let alone just to save myself a few LSPings. For me, there just wasn`t any big upside to the Coatings to justify it.

    With everything else related to Detailing being so dead-nuts simple (if time-consuming) for me, *I* have no reason to go with a Coating. Again, I`m belaboring the point because I don`t want somebody who`s feeling the same way to second-guess himself or think there`s something wrong with him. Coatings are undoubtedly perfect for some people, but not for everybody and it`s not just about being meticulous and taking one`s time.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Coatings=crack liked this post

  11. #41
    rlmccarty2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Fitzgerald, GA, South East GA
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Disastrous novice attempt to ceramic coat

    Humidity and temperature play a huge part in how many coatings behave. I’ll never coat a vehicle in high humidity again. 70 degrees and low humidity seems to be the sweet spot on the coatings I have applied. High humidity keeps the coating from flashing and high temperature can cause them to flash too quickly. I don’t know how folks in South Florida apply a coating without doing it in an air conditioned building.
    Likes Coleroad liked this post

  12. #42
    Hooked For Life Bill D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The First Coast
    Posts
    12,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Disastrous novice attempt to ceramic coat

    Coatings arenít for me and this is one reason why. I think Iíd still have difficulty even with running the AC in my garage.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Disastrous novice attempt to ceramic coat

    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    RZJZA80- I`m sure not arguing against Coatings categorically, (recommended one to bcgreen), just saying that different people are different with regard to what`s feasible for them. Guess I`m posting about that so others don`t think "gee, it must be me "

    Note that I`m not lacking in confidence and I consider Detailing to be a pretty easy skillset to master if gone about right.

    Remember that I`ve used OptiCoat and GlossCoat. While I figure that all coatings are not the same, I am speaking from first-hand experience.

    Coating the previous Crown Vic`s wheels was a lot harder than using a conventional LSP..no comparison. I figured it was a learning curve situation. But..

    On the Tahoe`s "Machined Finish" wheels it was *incredibly* difficult for me to do it right. Just to avoid having to do an easy-peasy conventional job a few times! That was despite great lighting/etc. In hindsight it was a complete waste of resources. Which is why my new 22ple Coating is just sitting on the shelf, probably going bad.

    There`s no way I`d risk having an "oops!" on anything that might matter more to me than those wheels, let alone just to save myself a few LSPings. For me, there just wasn`t any big upside to the Coatings to justify it.

    With everything else related to Detailing being so dead-nuts simple (if time-consuming) for me, *I* have no reason to go with a Coating. Again, I`m belaboring the point because I don`t want somebody who`s feeling the same way to second-guess himself or think there`s something wrong with him. Coatings are undoubtedly perfect for some people, but not for everybody and it`s not just about being meticulous and taking one`s time.
    I think we`re having two different conversations here. My point was that it`s down to the user if they end up with high spots. I`m not arguing if coatings should be used or not. The fact of the matter is, not everyone can get the whole coating thing down, just like not everyone can get polishing down or just detailing for that matter. Some pick it up naturally, they have a knack for it, and others just can`t, that`s just the way it is.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

  14. #44
    Mike The Guz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Lawndale, CA
    Posts
    3,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Disastrous novice attempt to ceramic coat

    High spots are part of the learning curve with coatings. Everyone thinks it is the end of the world when/if it happens. It really isn`t that bad and it should not deter anyone from trying one.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

  15. #45

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    1,157
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Disastrous novice attempt to ceramic coat

    Iíve had one on the car since May. Fixed most but figured when this starts eating down it will be an indicator of coating failing(could absolutely be wrong. Funny thing is itís in a pretty easy to see spot and not one persons mentioned it to me...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Ceramic coating powder coat
    By qwolfe8 in forum Waxes, Sealants, and LSP's
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-16-2019, 03:22 PM
  2. Need ceramic coat on top of full PPF?
    By kage65 in forum Car Detailing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-10-2018, 03:34 PM
  3. Novice BlackFire Pro Ceramic review
    By silver2kws6 in forum Hot Tub
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-26-2018, 11:27 AM
  4. Ceramic coat needs some rejuvenation?
    By beanbag in forum Car Detailing Product Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-26-2018, 07:12 AM
  5. My First Ceramic Coat Attempt
    By SomewhereInIndy in forum Detailing Product Reviews
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-09-2018, 06:44 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •