Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coating powder coat

Hello everyone, new to the forum here. I have a question regarding ceramic coating powder coated wheels. I’m thinking about getting a full paint correction soon but I’d also like to get my wheels and pieces of my suspension that are coated as done as well until I got a price quote. Now I’m thinking of doing it myself. My question is what sort of prep would I do on powder coat or do you just put the ceramic coat on it? I know it’s not like paint so you can’t polish it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic coating powder coat

qwolfe8- Welcome to Autopia!

AFAIK (i.e., unless there`s been some huge change nobody`s heard about) most oe wheels are powdercoated these days, have been for ages. The only things I coat are wheels, and the powdercoated ones always took coatings just the same as the (rare) ones that were actually painted.

And I`ve put a coating on powdercoated stabilizer bar with zero issues. It did maybe up the gloss a tiny bit but not enough to make the semi-gloss powdercoating look "too shiny" or anything like that, just gave it a slight sheen. Would`ve done a lot more of my suspension had that GlossCoat not dried out before I got around to it

Powdercoating can be polished, but it`s hard slow going and I wouldn`t expect much. Last time somebody here tested a "polish for powdercoat" it did not make a good impression.

Oh, and good on you for taking proper care of the undercar bits that so many neglect!

Post Thanks / Like

Subscribed: interested as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback. The parts I have powder coated on the suspension are red and the wheels are gloss black so the more it shines the better. My main concern is just applying the ceramic coat without doing and scratch removal prep. Both things are less than 6 months old so are no visible scratches but if the light hits the surface just right you can see a few imperfections. Most of these are in the lips of the wheel and they are all one direction. Carnuba hides them easily but will the ceramic coating have the same effect as the carnuba or will it basically just seal it over without hiding them and leave them clearly visible?

Post Thanks / Like

Justin at final inspection did some wheels with a coating he sprayed on looked amazing in the pictures

Post Thanks / Like

It was this one

Revived some dull wheels!
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...8&share_type=t

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Other than wheels, I don`t really see any reason to ceramic coat powdercoat. It`s pretty durable as is.

Post Thanks / Like

Powdercoat is usually pretty durable (depends on who did the work, and they`re sure not all the same), but IME *every* surface coating..powdercoat, paint, plating, *anything*...will clean up a lot easier and look better if it`s LSPed with something, be it a Ceramic Coating or some other LSP. I wish I had some LSP that`d last on exhaust components that get really hot.
    Likes Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I had a set of wheels powder coated back in November of 2017, took them home and applied Feynlab Wheel & Caliper on them. They were fresh out the shop so I just did a quick wipe down with Feynlab`s Prime, and coated shortly thereafter. I do feel like it helped make cleaning the wheels easier for a while, but I didn`t find that it added a real substantial amount of additional gloss or shine.

Thread Information