Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need to Switch up to longer lasting LSP over Meg`s UW for Oregon Winters.

Well I still have some Klasse AIO and SG left over from a while ago so I used it on the new car. Been using Ultimate wax for the longest time and that stuff just does not last. Anyway, I`ll do another coat of SG in 24 hours or so. I`m apprehensive about trying the FK1000P as I don`t want to mark up the black trim of my car. If I do try it (really would like to try it on my two other white cars) do you use 425 on the black trim to get the white markings of the FK1000P wax off?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Mc View Post
    Well I still have some Klasse AIO and SG left over from a while ago so I used it on the new car...
    IMO you cold do a lot worse than just adding a few more coats of the KSG. I did well with six although I never really liked the look..not on anything.

... I`m apprehensive about trying the FK1000P as I don`t want to mark up the black trim of my car. If I do try it (really would like to try it on my two other white cars) do you use 425 on the black trim to get the white markings of the FK1000P wax off?
    Understood about the trim, that`s always been a biggie for me too. I didn`t have any trim issues with the FK, but I was pretty careful to keep it off those surfaces (which I actually found pretty easy, but understand it`s *tough* on some vehicles) and/or just buff it off right away if it does get on there.

I`ve even used the FK1000P on trim deliberately and had it work OK, but I put that in the "don`t try this at home, kids!" category as you`ve gotta buff it off *immediately* and thoroughly and eh, I can just imagine it biting somebody bigtime.

NO, I do not expect FK425 would remove the "white wax stains" if you do botch up the application and let it dry on the trim, at least not IME. But again, I`ve never let it be a big issue and was always able to fix it. FK425 can indeed have a solvent-effect on FK1000P in the sense of bringing back a dried out tin of the latter, and can help when buffing off a too-thick application, but IME it doesn`t do it in a "dissolve it off the trim" way.

I do think you`d like it, especially on white, and suspect that the trim won`t be that much of an issue. But hey, easy for me to say since I`m not doing your vehicles

Oh, and a belated acknowledgement of your prior use of M80 Speed Glaze! I used a lot of that stuff back in the day, and was still using it on certain fresh repaints until I switched to OCW for that. Funny about the M80 though, I noticed later that I could always get much better gloss with other products containing mild abrasives, guess the M80`s abrasives just weren`t as swell as I`d thought. And FWIW, I`ve *always* been able to get better gloss than M205 leaves too, so maybe the M210 will be an eye-opener for you.
    Likes Randy Mc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Randy Mc:
    For suggestions on what to do for trim protectants, please see the thread:
    https://www.autopia.org/forums/car-d...html?highlight=

As far as suggestions for an easy to apply and cost-effective LSP, I am of the Collinite wax camp. I use 915 Marque D`Elegance Wax personally because I like the carnauba glow it imparts to any color , BUT their 476S Super Double Coat Wax is more cost effective (AKA cheaper) and still looks pretty good to the average vehicle owner. I do know from personal experience that 476S paste wax will outlast liquid 845 Insulator Wax in salt-laden Wisconsin winters.

I see you`ve used the Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze on your new vehicle. Keep us informed as to how this performs for you over your Oregon winter. I am not sure if your winters are more rainy than snowy and if you are subject to a lot of road salt de-icing like we are here in Wisconsin.
    We tried using just sand many years back in the city of Green Bay when road salt was astronomically high in price and in very short supply to stay within our winter snow removal budget. There were SOOOO many car accidents that the city citizens revolted, along with car insurance companies, that they reverted back to using salt regardless of the cost. It has been that way ever since. They do use the very expensive calcium chloride on bridges and overpasses in extreme cold (below 0°F), which is very caustic to vehicle metals. That, and the beet juice liquid they mix with salt brine and pre-treat streets with are a REAL pain to remove via no-touch automated car washes. it just does not come off unless you physically WIPE it off. Removing Traffic Road Film (TRF) is another thread topic.
    GB detailer
    Likes Randy Mc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well I finally got a can of FK and really like how slick it is on both of the cars I did. I put it on a bit too thick here and there however which takes some time to dry. If you dont wait for it to dry I noticed that it`s harder to buff off. We`re having a bit of a heat wave here in Oregon but when the rain comes back I`ll post back my findings on its longevity. I also got a bottle of Meg`s Ceramic Wax so I`ll be using that as a bit of a booster. Thanks everyone...

Post Thanks / Like

Randy Mc- Glad the FK is pleasing (at least so far). I`d absolutely get a second coat on there after the next wash, and maybe a third the wash after that.

And yeah, thin *thin* *THIN*

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Pick a wax of your choice and wash with a Duragloss Rinseless wash with Aquawax. That will constantly leave a fresh layer of wax on the base coat of wax. I`ve gotten 2 to 3 weeks on just a DG rinseless wash without any wax underneath.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Pick a wax of your choice and wash with a Duragloss Rinseless wash with Aquawax. That will constantly leave a fresh layer of wax on the base coat of wax. I`ve gotten 2 to 3 weeks on just a DG rinseless wash without any wax underneath.
    With the FK1000P that Randy Mc is using, IUDJ at QD-strength does the same kind of thing and has zero negative effect on the FK. FWIW, I was astounded by how much LSP-like stuff the IUDJ leaves behind. I`ve been using it as a cleaner on some garage stuff that`s sure never been waxed, and/but after having done it for a while those things look like/feel/bead I put a real LSP on them.

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to recommend FK1000, PNS or 845 for durables with great looks on white. Enjoy the FK!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information