Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dr Oldz Nuba Thread (Master Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Banana gloss may be good for maintaining SS paint but definitely not for oxidized SS...
    That`s about what I figured, but thanks for confirming it.

I find it a little interesting that the M07 Treatment is so universally suggested; I use it far more selectively than some others, but that`s just me and it`a another topic. Sorry...back to `Nubas!

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82
    I got to see the car tonight and I can definitely see the difference. The car looks wet and inky black, reflections are smooth. Different from the previous sharp, crisp reflections.
    Ah, OK...I know *exactly* what you mean! Can think of similar diffs on our vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Of course the best course of action is to avoid the oxidation in the first place (though some say it`s inevitable and it might be to *some* extent if you want to split hairs).
    Thanks, Accumulator. I like that you have a ton of experience with such stuff, and share that info with us

I agree with you, and had told the owner the same thing (mostly).

Check this deal out guys!

https://www.autogeek.net/orblmisunwax.html

Crazy not to get this if you don`t have it!
    wow, that`s a crazy deal. Makes sense, though. It`s the prior gen`s label.

Banana gloss may be good for maintaining SS paint but definitely not for oxidized SS. You need the #7 treatment or if the paint is thick enough, some mechanical abrasives. Even some of the best AIO’s with quality abrasives aren’t aggressive enough for severely oxidized SS paint.
    I was afraid you guys would say #7 treatment. [sigh]

Thanks fellas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    That`s about what I figured, but thanks for confirming it.

I find it a little interesting that the M07 Treatment is so universally suggested; I use it far more selectively than some others, but that`s just me and it`a another topic. Sorry...back to `Nubas!
    #7 Can have a thread that may be endless on its own. I often suggest it and use it because it is a non abrasive method. Although I use it much differently than Mike Phillips does(but with same principles and concept). I need to start that post one day also. But owning a few muscle cars from the late 60’s and very early 70’s with original SS paint, it is a wonder product.

Post Thanks / Like

I learned about it from Mike Phillips, and used it much the same way he did.

Post Thanks / Like

Lusso Oro

Great coconut scent.

I believe this formula has Nuba and 3 other waxes in it.

Easy buttery application. I apply to a panel then remove. I find a plush MF works best for removal.

Very nice beading and sheeting.

Durability is a solid 3 months or better.

Plastic trim friendly.

Has a real nice old school nuba look but without the old school work. Nice gloss and rich deep wet look. Makes any paint look great but excels in the warmer and dark colors. The oils within have a very slight darkening effect but it still allows metallics to glisten. For me I always had fun with this wax and enjoyed the process of using it.

Priced very nicely. I have used this wax numerous times thru the years and it has never let me down. All around a really nice wax especially for the price! Smaller company that makes a nice well rounded wax.
    Thanks JustJesus, BadgerRivFan, Caraman thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lusso Oro
    I find a plush MF works best for removal.
    I was surprised when I first tried BF Midnight Sun and found a more plush MF was better suited for removal. My usual MF didn`t work well with removing this wax.

Thanks for the Lusso post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    I was surprised when I first tried BF Midnight Sun and found a more plush MF was better suited for removal. My usual MF didn`t work well with removing this wax.

Thanks for the Lusso post.
    I have found that different style towels are helpful with certain type of waxes. It’s why I try to add that info in these reviews to for you guys.
    Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Collinite 845

Well what can I really say about this wax that hasn`t been talked about already. This has to be the most discussed wax on the forums.

But here goes my take:

A liquid Nuba hybrid wax. First off the bottle comes with a standard lid. It should come with a lid with a pour spout on it so the whole contents won`t spill out if you dump it accidentally. Easily fixed as it is a standard style bottle that many lids will fit on.

Has a slight solvent/chemical smell but not overpowering.

Can be a little thick in the bottle. A good shaking or running it under some warm tap water will thin it right out.

I apply with a DA to the whole vehicle then remove with a medium nap MF. Thin application makes the removal a breeze.

I have put this wax on every part of a vehicle except a windshield.

Has a bright glossy look that still contains a bit of warmth and depth. I have always enjoyed the look this wax gives white vehicles.

Durability is excellent. 5 months give or take. One thing I like about the Collinite waxes is that they hold up really well to winter salts and brine in snowy regions.

Superior beads from this wax.

With DA application, I can get 40-50 applications from a bottle.

Cheap product($20) for such excellent performance.

I find that this wax rinses dirt and grime easier than most other waxes.

If you haven`t ever tried this wax, I suggest you try it at least once to decide if the hype is real or not.

Thank You
    Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Collinite 845

If you haven`t ever tried this wax, I suggest you try it at least once to decide if the hype is real or not.
    The price makes this product more special.

And for the price, it`s rather easy to justify the purchase even if it is just to try it out.

Thanks for the review

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    Likes Dr Oldz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Collinite 845
    Do you do 2 coats of this for even coverage or just 1? I ask because I have read about issues with a second coat of 915 and therefore have always refrained from adding a second.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Do you do 2 coats of this for even coverage or just 1? I ask because I have read about issues with a second coat of 915 and therefore have always refrained from adding a second.
    I have never had an issue with a second coat. That being said, I never found a reason to apply 2 coats with this wax.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never had an issue with a second coat...
    Same here. I`ve seen zero evidence of solvent action compromising the ability to layer it although I always waited a day between coats as I`ve heard it contains "resins" and such products generally seem to have a cure time.

But I`ve never had anything like pseudo-holograms with it. Never.

That being said, I never found a reason to apply 2 coats with this wax.
    Well, it *did* improve the durability a bit for me, enough to be clearly discernible but not like it doubled it. I have maybe four layers on the limited areas where I still use it, and that provides what I consider decent durability. (Note that I set the bar nutty-high when it comes to durability. Topping 845 with 476S improved it quite a bit for those who do such stuff.)

EDIT: Anybody else notice the slight decrease in durability with the post-VOC version? I know the guys at Collinite worked awfully hard during the changeover so I`m not casting stones..

Post Thanks / Like

Collinite 845

Well what can I really say about this wax that hasn`t been talked about already. This has to be the most discussed wax on the forums.

But here goes my take:

A liquid Nuba hybrid wax. First off the bottle comes with a standard lid. It should come with a lid with a pour spout on it so the whole contents won`t spill out if you dump it accidentally. Easily fixed as it is a standard style bottle that many lids will fit on.

Has a slight solvent/chemical smell but not overpowering.

Can be a little thick in the bottle. A good shaking or running it under some warm tap water will thin it right out.

I apply with a DA to the whole vehicle then remove with a medium nap MF. Thin application makes the removal a breeze.

I have put this wax on every part of a vehicle except a windshield.

Has a bright glossy look that still contains a bit of warmth and depth. I have always enjoyed the look this wax gives white vehicles.

Durability is excellent. 5 months give or take. One thing I like about the Collinite waxes is that they hold up really well to winter salts and brine in snowy regions.

Superior beads from this wax.

With DA application, I can get 40-50 applications from a bottle.

I find that this wax rinses dirt and grime easier than most other waxes.

Thank You
    I agree with all that you said.

Once I started using 476s and 915,I stopped using 845. I discovered that those two are just as easy to apply and remove as the 845. And had more durability,(for me anyway).

Post Thanks / Like

Zymol Solaris

jk. I couldn’t get this wax although I tried.
    Likes TroyScherer, JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Older- FWIW, and I`m not sure why it worked this way, I always thought I got my best results with Collinite by laying down a base of 845 and then multiple applications of 476S. Note that had I not believed I really saw a diff I never would`ve bothered with it, stumbled upon it by accident. For one thing, I was doing the Yukon XLD with all its PPF and the edges of same were less of an issue when I did the 845 first.

Ever use 476S on exterior trim? I did it on a few vehicles, but generally put it in the "don`t try this at home, kids!" category as with FK1000P.

Dr. Oldz- Heh heh...you made me chuckle there

Have you tried any of the Zymol Estate line? Noting my general, uhm...attitude..about such stuff I`ve always been inclined to laugh such stuff off. BUT, a few people whom I genuinely respect and consider credible insist that they`ve gotten their absolute best results with some of those, usually with numerous spit-shined applications. The whole thing made me think "no thanks, you`re nuts", but again, I would *NEVER* accuse those guys of merely seeing what they want to see, so in the back of my mind...well, I wonder.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information