Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dr Oldz Nuba Thread (Master Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Pinnacle Signature Series II
    One of my favorites! Never tried it on solid dark, but now I may!

Post Thanks / Like

Is Souveran durability really that bad?? I’ve used it and loved it but never tracked durability past a few weeks before topping with something like Pinnacle Spray Wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Unusual suspects:
    -Malm`s liquid (very *very* good/under-appreciated stuff, AFAIK only JustJesus has/uses it)
    -3M Showcar Paste Wax (pre-VOC version- easy as Souveran IME, extremely hydrophobic, nice middle-of-road look)

Malm`s is definitely a little gem of a wax. (Thanks Accumulator for bringing it to my attention!)

Pinnacle Signature Series II
    I always enjoyed the way water behaved on a hood with wax. Hit about 30mph and just watch all the beads roll up and basically dry itself.

That`s one nice thing about Malm`s. In a five way wax "test" Malm`s was the first to say bye to the water at about 35mph.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Is Souveran durability really that bad??
    It is that bad IME. Regulars here know how sparingly I apply LSPs (a tin of anything usually lasts me many years), but I went through a *lot* of jars of Souveran. Eh, it`s easy to use, smells nice, is trim-friendly, and looks great. It probably does last longer than a Spray Wax, but if nor redoing at every wash I`d sure use some leaves-stuff-behind type of Drying Aid.

EDIT: With this thread on my mind, if/when I get the Jag out of mothballs I just might use Malm`s on it the way I did in the mid-`80s.
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Is Souveran durability really that bad?? I’ve used it and loved it but never tracked durability past a few weeks before topping with something like Pinnacle Spray Wax.
    Lol, it is pretty bad, but it is one of the best beauty waxes around. Everyone should have this in their collection. It’s one I return to again and again.
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Lol, it is pretty bad, but it is one of the best beauty waxes around. Everyone should have this in their collection. It’s one I return to again and again.
    So I guess one month on a daily driver is out of the question... unless I Pinnacle Spray Wax it every wash. Which I will do anyways, then maybe reapply monthly.

Im thinking about using Souveran this winter over a coat of a Liquid Souveran... that way I’ll have something fairly durable underneath for when salt may quickly eat through the Souveran. I will also maintain with Pinnacle RW/WW and Spray Wax.

Post Thanks / Like

About FK1000P. Isn`t is a synthetic form of carnauba wax? They used to claim that this allowed them to maintain its purity and have such durability and a high melting point. If the wax molecule is the same whether the plant made it or it`s synthetically made in a lab, isn`t it still a wax molecule?

Post Thanks / Like

So I guess one month on a daily driver is out of the question....
    Heh heh, I`d say many times that long is out of the question on a daily! I`m sorely disappointed if I have to redo mine annually.

But I am doing about what you mentioned, using OCW on my wife`s A8 as a Drying Aid. While it`s not anwhere near the same ballpark as FK1000P in the sense of protection, it doesn`t add any time/effort and I already have the stuff.

I`d never do both the Spray Wax and a conventional LSP, but that`s just me.

But then I`m disappointed if I have to reLSP (in the conventional sense) annually, let alone any more often than that.

Post Thanks / Like

DBAILY- Huh, I never heard that. Wonder what Ketch would say...especially now that he`s not on their payroll (yeah, I know that sounds cynical but IMO the BS piles high and wide in that business).

If it *is* a direct, synthetic duplication of natural carnauba (not sure how they`d pull that off, let alone way back when they developed it and then through the VOC change), it sure looks *completely* different from any carnauba I`ve ever used/seen. Doesn`t even resemble the "brighter" waxes I`ve used...it just looks like a sealant/synthetic LSP to me. At what point would the changes (heat resistance/etc.) render it "significantly different" from carnauba functionally?

I dunno...but maybe I`m influenced by my impression of that description being just total BS....some [crap] that somebody said because they thought it sounded good. Some people seem to care about whether a LSP contains carnauba, and/or how much...so I`d expect vendors to talk it up that way.
    Likes DBAILEY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    About FK1000P. Isn`t is a synthetic form of carnauba wax? They used to claim that this allowed them to maintain its purity and have such durability and a high melting point. If the wax molecule is the same whether the plant made it or it`s synthetically made in a lab, isn`t it still a wax molecule?

Sorry, I’m not a chemist. So I can not give an accurate answer. But my guess is that if they can make a wax molecule that is better than Nuba that it wouldn’t be Nuba but a new type of wax molecule named something different. To me that is synthetic.

Post Thanks / Like

Prima Banana Gloss

I usually try to stick to paste type waxes but this worthy of noting even tho it is a liquid.

This is is not your typical wax and you will see why after reading this.

Scent is of..... well you guessed it, bananas.

Application on is super easy and not much product is needed. Even if you over apply, it isn’t a problem

Plastic trim friendly

Removal is super easy. One of the easiest removing waxes period. Even if over applied. Can be removed after one panel or the whole vehicle. Any quality MF works fine.

Here is is where the product gets different. First off it can really fill some serious swirls. Secondly it doesn’t claim to have cleaners in it but it definitely has the ability to act as a slight chemical cleaner.

The cleaning ability can can be amplified by machine application and a light polishing pad

This is really gives a wet glossy look. Like a glaze but on steroids since it leaves protective abilities behind.

My first bottle of this was given to me by Prima for testing and review in the L2D thread.

Durability is about 45 days on a daily driver. Longer on a garage queen. I like that the bottle doesn’t BS you and they claim 45-60 days which I find accurate.

I find this product very helpful of the details where someone is selling their vehicle and wants it to look the best it possibly can without spending money on paint correction. I also use this a lot on cars that may be older and have very thin paint/clear coat where polishing and removing any material is out of the question. It’s also great between full details to keep paint looking great without polishing it alll the time. Again it is super user friendly and you can get a vehicle done in no time.

Overall it it is a nice product that has a nitch in certain instances for me.

Not sure what is up with Prima as I don’t see their products available like they used to be.
    Thanks JustJesus, acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The only wax that my wife really noticed was on her dark blue/grey Infiniti that I slapped Fuzion on.

I have to admit,it really glowed. That was over Collinite 915.

Fuzion is also super easy on/off. It only lasted 6 weeks or so.

If I get any ambition before the weather turns,I’ll throw on a coat of Fuzion over the 3 layers of FK1000p.

Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Oldz- I agree about the "something different". Wish I`d paid attention in Chem class

Thanks for posting about the Banana Gloss. I *never* would`ve paid any attention to it...

I`d love to see a comparo between the Banana Gloss and Malm`s!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    The only wax that my wife really noticed was on her dark blue/grey Infiniti that I slapped Fuzion on..
    That "spouse test" is pretty good, huh?...as long as you don`t tip your hand.
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Prima Banana Gloss

Here is is where the product gets different. First off it can really fill some serious swirls. Secondly it doesn’t claim to have cleaners in it but it definitely has the ability to act as a slight chemical cleaner.
    Thanks for that review. It made me curious, as it sounds like it has the potential to be in my arsenal. For certain jobs.

I checked online, their own web site, and they do say it has cleaners...

" You get easy application, paint cleaners, no white residue, trim safe, concealing and of course, protection. "

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Thanks for posting about the Banana Gloss. I *never* would`ve paid any attention to it...

I`d love to see a comparo between the Banana Gloss and Malm`s!
    Same here. To both parts

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information