Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dr Oldz Nuba Thread (Master Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Fishroes View Post
    Sorry man. I never really read what it said on the side on the tin can other than hi-temp paste wax until you said something. All along I’ve been thinking it was a Nuba/sealant. It says it has waxes in it but evidently not Nuba. I’m glad you brought that to my attention. I still like it though, but I do want to try a Nuba that you recommend. The 3 paint colors I have are Honda red rock pearl (2006 Ridgeline).
    Magnetic Gray metallic (2016 Tundra) Blizzard white pearl (2017 Highlander). On the Tundra, I would like something that would make it look a little darker if that’s possible, whether it be a certain polish or lsp. Currently the only thing that’s been on it is jescar medium polish and jescar powerlock +
    no need to be sorry. Just joking around. Give it some time and I’ll have a bunch of waxes up here for you to decide what will work for you!
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    I`m beginning to rekindle my original love for Nuba`s. ..and I like the look and feel "a warm carnauba glow with lasting protection properties".
    I haven`t stopped loving them. Just don`t use them as much as I would like, nor do I work on many cars. Yesterday, I did the good `ol Wet Ice Over Fire, but haven`t seen it in the daylight

Quote Originally Posted by Fishroes View Post
    Dr Oldz, what are your thoughts on fk1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    FK 1000????? This is a Nuba thread!!!! It doesn’t belong here!

lol I will eventually add my thoughts on this sealant as I feel it should be mentioned here.
    That was pretty funny!

I recently used the FK Pink wax. I liked it. Easy on/off. I feel it darkened the blue a bit, in a good way.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lets get this show on the road!
    Likes Farmall-luvr, JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Yesterday, I did the good `ol Wet Ice Over Fire, but haven`t seen it in the daylight
    I still like that look, BFMS is still a personal favorite.

Always wanted to try one of the Dodo Juice offerings. Hoping Mary B chimes into this thread at some point.
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Rubbish Boys Original Edition

7DDCF0F9-D863-4411-801E-D3794000A62C.jpeg

Here is an interesting and fun wax. This is a small batch hand made wax over in the UK. I suggest checking out the website as it is pretty cool. Rubbish Boy`s Carnauba Wax Shop ::: Detailing Products
    First off this comes in a glass jar, so use caution and don`t drop it. It is a harder style wax.
    Application from the pot to the pad can be a little difficult at first until you get some of the wax to start melting from the friction. This is why I suggest machine application. Machine application makes the application a breeze. A spritz of water also helps. It has a nice smell of orange pineapple citrus. This wax takes a while to haze due the slower evaporating solvents in it. This is nice if you apply too much in an area you can go back and spread it out more. Depends on the temp and humidity but anywhere from 15-40 min.
    Removal can be a little harder than some other waxes. I like to use a edgeless short nap or woven style MF for the initial removal and then use a plusher MF for a final buff which will bring the gloss up a touch.
    This one wax that I always enjoyed to see the results. I feel it has that traditional Nuba glow that we think of when talking about a nuba. Gloss, depth and richness are all notable with RBOE. This works fantastic on all colors but I am a big fan of this on non-metallic reds, yellows and blues.
    This has nice tight beading with fair sheeting abilities. You can expect 2.5 up 4 months durability.
    It is certainly a unique wax that is hand made and has a neat history behind it. For me this wax is always a winner although it isn`t the easiest wax to use.
    Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

cool,,this thread is definately going to be more than a trip down to NAPA to grab some wax,,lol,,,I`m curious if you have a picture of your wax collection?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SGM2008 View Post
    I still like that look, BFMS is still a personal favorite.

Always wanted to try one of the Dodo Juice offerings. Hoping Mary B chimes into this thread at some point.
    I`m still waiting to see the Kia in the daylight Looks good in the evening lighting, though!

I have a 6 pack of little Dodos, but never got around to use them. Admittedly, I bought them cuz I liked the colors. haha. I gave one to a coworker and he absolutely loved it. He`s not a car guy, but likes a clean car. When I told him the price I paid for it....yeah, he won`t be buying one for himself.

Post Thanks / Like

Rubbish Boys Original Edition

It is certainly a unique wax that is hand made and has a neat history behind it. For me this wax is always a winner although it isn`t the easiest wax to use.
    Thanks for posting. I`ll look into their site and their history. Sounds cool

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder how many of these are trim-friendly...a few on my list are.

Heh heh, I`m always a bit cynical about Dodo Juice because of the "Detailing Expert" who confidently proclaimed that the car I did with 476S had one DJ`s exotic offerings on it ("it`s obvious that it`s [whichever one he said] nothing else looks quite like that!"). Shame I wasn`t on-hand, I could`ve, uhm...enlightened...him.

OK, here are the ones that I like, even if I haven`t used any of them for years...

Usual suspects:
    -Pinnacle Souveran
    -Collinite`s various paste waxes (are we calling those carnaubas?)
    -Meguiar`s M16 (a "bright" wax, and...same Q?)
    -Meguiar`s M26 ( a "deep" wax)

Unusual suspects:
    -Malm`s liquid (very *very* good/under-appreciated stuff, AFAIK only JustJesus has/uses it)
    -3M Showcar Paste Wax (pre-VOC version- easy as Souveran IME, extremely hydrophobic, nice middle-of-road look)

Yeah, a few of the ones on most anybody`s favorites-list are NOT on mine; one try with P21s on the Jag and it went in the trash.
    Likes acuRAS82, upon3 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I usually comment about trim friendly waxes I am SURE are or aren’t. RBOE I’m not sure. But I don’t wax trim and I’m careful applying wax so it’s a nonissue for me.

About your “detailing expert”. Let’s face it.... no one can tell what wax is on a vehicle. I certainly can’t. What really matters is the prep. You can put a $2000 wax on a turd and it’s still a turd.

Any lsp with Nuba in it is game. Other ingriedents allowed. I’ll even do a few sealants from time to time if they are worthy.

Post Thanks / Like

Swissvax Shield

Shield is an offering from Swissvax. First thing I will mention about any Swissvax offering is that they claim to get some stupidly low number of applications out of a jar. Think like 10 or so. That’s BS. Properly applied they can all give 25+ applications. This is their consumer version of a PTFE infused wax. You know the Teflon effect.

Swissvax pots remind me of Yeti coolers. Look huge on The outside but have thick walls holding 200ml of wax.

This wax smells really good. Grapefruit like.

Application on is a breeze as this wax transfers to you applicator of choice very nicely. I again prefer machine application. Goes on paintwork very smoothly.

Removal is to be done after 5-10 min when it hazes over a bit. I do 2 or 3 panels depending on size then remove. Really any quality MF will remove this easily. It’s super easy. Afterwards I’ll go over the whole vehicle for a final wipe down with a plusher MF and to buff it up to a high gloss. It is trim friendly.

The look is is nice with it leaning more to the glossy side rather than the wet look while still adding some depth and shimmer.

Lets discuss its “Teflon” effect: Do not expect everything to slide and not stick to it. What I will say is that tar, bugs and road film will wash off slightly easier with just water from a pressure washer. You can get away with a coin-op rinse with plain water then the filtered rinse(no spot) and have a decently clean vehicle between regular contact washes.

Swissvax talks about baking in the sun after application with their waxes. Does it help or do anything in the real world??? I can’t tell but I will say this wax does get a tad better looking after the vehicle sits for a few hours in the sun or not.

I have not found any advantage from layering this wax.

Durability can can extend to 6 months if pushed but 4 months is where I look to reapply!

It sheets water nicely and is and is a fairly good beader!

I believe this holds a $200 price tag currently.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see you back in action with your reviews. Since I already did the lion`s share of the cut and paste work while L2D was still alive, I`ll continue updating with your new entries.

Bill
    Likes Dr Oldz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I usually comment about trim friendly waxes I am SURE are or aren’t. RBOE I’m not sure. But I don’t wax trim and I’m careful applying wax so it’s a nonissue for me...
    Ah, interesting! I`ve been waxing (or otherwise LSPing) my exterior trim since the `80s, basically the only approach I use on it.

The Souveran and Malms are absolutely trim-friendly IME. NEVER had any issues with them in that regard as long as I did it right.

I figure we`re not talking Spray Waxes on this thread...those are great on trim IME.

About your “detailing expert”. Let’s face it.... no one can tell what wax is on a vehicle. I certainly can’t. What really matters is the prep. You can put a $2000 wax on a turd and it’s still a turd.
    Yeah, that bag-of-wind was a laugh..some people Don`t know if he`d done any of the cars at that show, but nothing I saw looked like an "after" to me besides the one I did

Heh heh, I wouldn`t know from vehicles in the "turd" category, zero nasty vehicles in my life But yeah...I`m just taking for granted that we`re talking "marring-free and kept that way" vehicles; IMO that`s the ground floor of Detailing.

I generally agree with not being able to say which wax is on something, but sometimes you can tell between a few choices, at least when you`re very familiar with the paint in question:

My wife can tell *instantly* whether I`d done her car with Souveran or something else..."hey, that`s not the same wax it usually has, is it?" She simply *knows* what that wax looks like on that paint, which really surprised me the first time...she literally just walked into the shop, not knowing I`d rewaxed it, looked at it, and asked. And she wasn`t happy...but I got tired of redoing it all the time.

I`d expect anybody to notice the diffs between M26 and M16 on some colors, but that`s all..."they`re different and this one`s more/less [whatever]..." and while it`s not a wax, I`ve called Zaino on numerous vehicles; it`s "signature look", which I don`t care for, is sometimes pretty obvious.

But no...for somebody to look at an unfamiliar car and say what`s on it? That I`d have to see to believe, but hey...people surprise me all that time.

Any lsp with Nuba in it is game. Other ingriedents allowed. I’ll even do a few sealants from time to time if they are worthy.
    AFAIK there`s no carnauba in FK1000P, and there`s sure none in KSG, and I *guess* there`s none in OCW but I don`t really know.

We`re not counting Collinite 845/IW are we...another great one for exterior trim.

OH...and before I forget it again...I too can really like applying (and sometimes even buffing off) wax by machine. I always use more/excessive product doing it that way, but I`m pretty fanatical about using the minimum when I`m doing it by hand (any tin of wax besides Souveran will last me around a decade, sometimes longer).

Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Oldz- Regarding the Swissvax Shield, what do you like about it? I suspect you did *not* intend for us to read your take on it as negative, but gee...that`s how I`m interpretting it! Although I sure like the sound of it smelling like grapefruit Other than that, why might one choose it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    AFAIK there`s no carnauba in FK1000P, and there`s sure none in KSG, and I *guess* there`s none in OCW but I don`t really know.
    OCW contains carnauba, to my knowledge. Maybe not much?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information