Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 99
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Reisterstown Md.
    Posts
    2,353
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dr Oldz Nuba Thread (Master Edition)

    Welcome back! While we do about 95 percent coatings, I still love just waxing a vehicle! I’m sure you’ve done a Griot’s Best of Show, which I hated years ago, now has got to be the easiest wax to remove. Thank you for your time!
    Likes Dr Oldz liked this post

  2. #32
    Dr Oldz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,091
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dr Oldz Nuba Thread (Master Edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Dr. Oldz- Regarding the Swissvax Shield, what do you like about it? I suspect you did *not* intend for us to read your take on it as negative, but gee...that`s how I`m interpretting it! Although I sure like the sound of it smelling like grapefruit Other than that, why might one choose it?
    its kinda my idea to let people make their own decision from what I convey. Why Might you choose it??? Good question. Easy on/off. Smells awesome. Respectful durability. Releases dirt and grime a bit easier that other waxes and you have a spare $200 you want to spend on a wax. Wasn’t necessarily my intention to give a negative review but more so to debunk Swissvax marketing ploy for this wax.
    Likes rlmccarty2000, Mary B, RaydiantDetail liked this post

  3. #33
    Dr Oldz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,091
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dr Oldz Nuba Thread (Master Edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Ah, interesting! I`ve been waxing (or otherwise LSPing) my exterior trim since the `80s, basically the only approach I use on it.

    The Souveran and Malms are absolutely trim-friendly IME. NEVER had any issues with them in that regard as long as I did it right.

    I figure we`re not talking Spray Waxes on this thread...those are great on trim IME.



    Yeah, that bag-of-wind was a laugh..some people Don`t know if he`d done any of the cars at that show, but nothing I saw looked like an "after" to me besides the one I did

    Heh heh, I wouldn`t know from vehicles in the "turd" category, zero nasty vehicles in my life But yeah...I`m just taking for granted that we`re talking "marring-free and kept that way" vehicles; IMO that`s the ground floor of Detailing.

    I generally agree with not being able to say which wax is on something, but sometimes you can tell between a few choices, at least when you`re very familiar with the paint in question:

    My wife can tell *instantly* whether I`d done her car with Souveran or something else..."hey, that`s not the same wax it usually has, is it?" She simply *knows* what that wax looks like on that paint, which really surprised me the first time...she literally just walked into the shop, not knowing I`d rewaxed it, looked at it, and asked. And she wasn`t happy...but I got tired of redoing it all the time.

    I`d expect anybody to notice the diffs between M26 and M16 on some colors, but that`s all..."they`re different and this one`s more/less [whatever]..." and while it`s not a wax, I`ve called Zaino on numerous vehicles; it`s "signature look", which I don`t care for, is sometimes pretty obvious.

    But no...for somebody to look at an unfamiliar car and say what`s on it? That I`d have to see to believe, but hey...people surprise me all that time.



    AFAIK there`s no carnauba in FK1000P, and there`s sure none in KSG, and I *guess* there`s none in OCW but I don`t really know.

    We`re not counting Collinite 845/IW are we...another great one for exterior trim.

    OH...and before I forget it again...I too can really like applying (and sometimes even buffing off) wax by machine. I always use more/excessive product doing it that way, but I`m pretty fanatical about using the minimum when I`m doing it by hand (any tin of wax besides Souveran will last me around a decade, sometimes longer).

    i guess trim can be an unclear topic. A lot of people consider the black plastics as trim. That’s more what I’m referring to.

    Sure I can tell what wax is on my vehicle. But to walk up to a random vehicle and say that is so and so wax is impossible.

    FK1000 is all synthetic

    845 and OCW both contain Nuba.


    I think I use less product when machine applying. I have a bottle of 845 that is just under half full with about 40 or so applications out of it. Seems to me that all the paste go further with machine application also.
    Likes Jaddie liked this post

  4. #34
    rlmccarty2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3,880
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dr Oldz Nuba Thread (Master Edition)

    To my eyes the Nubas with the most oils look the deepest and darkest (like Souveran). Less oils and more Nuba creates more shine and pop on metallics. These are just generalizations based on my experiences with waxes.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

  5. #35
    Farmall-luvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dr Oldz Nuba Thread (Master Edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    To my eyes the Nubas with the most oils look the deepest and darkest (like Souveran). Less oils and more Nuba creates more shine and pop on metallics. These are just generalizations based on my experiences with waxes.
    interesting observation,,I have a can of Car Brite easy off blue Nuba at work that I just love to use on silvers,light blues beige and gray after I polish.
    While it`s not my go to wax for Vettes it`s just fine for a used Cruze or Malibu`s but it does have kind of solvent smell to it that I don`t really like.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    82,637
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dr Oldz Nuba Thread (Master Edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    OCW contains carnauba, to my knowledge. Maybe not much?
    Huh, that surprises me.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    82,637
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dr Oldz Nuba Thread (Master Edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    its kinda my idea to let people make their own decision from what I convey.. Wasn’t necessarily my intention to give a negative review but more so to debunk Swissvax marketing ploy for this wax.
    Heh heh, consider it indeed debunked for this person, and it was pretty easy to, uhm...make my decision.

    Releases dirt and grime a bit easier that other waxes..
    Huh, and here the way *I* interpreted your review it sounded pretty mediocre in that regard!

    I think I use less product when machine applying. I have a bottle of 845 that is just under half full with about 40 or so applications out of it. Seems to me that all the paste go further with machine application also.
    Ah yeah...different people end up on different sides of that fence. I`m awfully extreme about the "minimal product" when LSPing, no way I could ever use less doing it by machine. Sure do like it with some LSPs though!

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    82,637
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dr Oldz Nuba Thread (Master Edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    i guess trim can be an unclear topic. A lot of people consider the black plastics as trim. That’s more what I’m referring to...
    Sorry, didn`t mean to be ambiguous In this context I lumped everything, from hard plastic to exterior rubber seals, together. Eh, my bad...that`s painting with an awfully broad brush.

    I remember all the Chicken Little predicting it would trash some of those materials "because of the petroleum distillates" and then expressing surprise that I`d already been doing it for decades with zero issues.
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    82,637
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dr Oldz Nuba Thread (Master Edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    To my eyes the Nubas with the most oils look the deepest and darkest (like Souveran). Less oils and more Nuba creates more shine and pop on metallics. These are just generalizations ...
    My wife somehow views Souveran on (Audi) silver completely different! She thinks it makes the metallic pop so much that "the silver looks kinda white"...she remembers it as "the White Wax" not for how it looks in the jar, but for how it made her car look. Eye of the beholder and all that, but I always thought that was a little odd.

    Heh heh, all this wax talk is *almost* enough to make me want to wax something or at least go open up a can of something from Way Back and relive those days. Almost

    Gee, I haven`t communed with my `77 tin of ProWax for ages...
    Likes Mary B liked this post

  10. #40
    Dr Oldz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,091
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dr Oldz Nuba Thread (Master Edition)

    I know Dr G has said OCW contains nuba. The AG web site says it also.
    https://www.autogeek.net/optimum-spray-wax.html

  11. #41
    Swanicyouth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,779
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dr Oldz Nuba Thread (Master Edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I know Dr G has said OCW contains nuba. The AG web site says it also.
    https://www.autogeek.net/optimum-spray-wax.html
    I always think in stuff like this nuba is a buzzword. Contains 100% carnauba means it could have 1/8th of a flake.

    I’m not slamming it - I have OCW on top of GPS on my truck now. It’s doing surprisingly well.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

  12. #42
    Dr Oldz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,091
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dr Oldz Nuba Thread (Master Edition)

    Apparently there is a time limit on editing post here. Would have liked to add links for every wax on post 3. Unfortunately I can not.

  13. #43
    Dr Oldz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,091
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dr Oldz Nuba Thread (Master Edition)

    Pinnacle Signature Series II

    Here is a wax I don’t see mentioned much anymore.

    Great fruity exotic tropical smell to this wax.

    Extremely easy on and off. Spreads like butter. Removal is done while still wet. A WOWO wax. Really nice removal and streak free even in humid hot climates. I prefer a medium nap MF but really any quality MF works well.

    Comes in in a nice pot with an o ring seal that keeps it fresh for a long time.

    Trim/plastic friendly.

    40+ applications per jar if you apply whisper thin as you should with all waxes.

    This is really plays well with any color. Very balanced look as far as gloss, depth, shimmer and clarity. It will make flakes stand out while still giving solid colors a nice look.

    I have suggested this wax wax to many people over the years looking for an exotic style wax that won’t break the bank and everyone was happy.

    Durability is about 2.5 months

    I always enjoyed the way water behaved on a hood with wax. Hit about 30mpj and just watch all the beads roll up and basically dry itself.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

  14. #44
    Mary B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Burnsville Mn.
    Posts
    1,316
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dr Oldz Nuba Thread (Master Edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    My wife somehow views Souveran on (Audi) silver completely different! She thinks it makes the metallic pop so much that "the silver looks kinda white"...she remembers it as "the White Wax" not for how it looks in the jar, but for how it made her car look. Eye of the beholder and all that, but I always thought that was a little odd.

    Heh heh, all this wax talk is *almost* enough to make me want to wax something or at least go open up a can of something from Way Back and relive those days. Almost

    Gee, I haven`t communed with my `77 tin of ProWax for ages...

    You mention Pinnacle Souveran which is a very nice wax.
    My only complaint for me was when I used it before a 400 mile road trip, swear it blew off by the time I got home.

    Yes I`m gonna wax somethin` !


    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Pinnacle Signature Series II

    Here is a wax I don’t see mentioned much anymore.

    Great fruity exotic tropical smell to this wax.

    Extremely easy on and off. Spreads like butter. Removal is done while still wet. A WOWO wax. Really nice removal and streak free even in humid hot climates. I prefer a medium nap MF but really any quality MF works well.

    Comes in in a nice pot with an o ring seal that keeps it fresh for a long time.

    Trim/plastic friendly.

    40+ applications per jar if you apply whisper thin as you should with all waxes.

    This is really plays well with any color. Very balanced look as far as gloss, depth, shimmer and clarity. It will make flakes stand out while still giving solid colors a nice look.

    I have suggested this wax wax to many people over the years looking for an exotic style wax that won’t break the bank and everyone was happy.

    Durability is about 2.5 months

    I always enjoyed the way water behaved on a hood with wax. Hit about 30mpj and just watch all the beads roll up and basically dry itself.

    I have a small pot of this one, trying to decide on a full pot.
    I tried it up against Blackfire`s Midnight Sun and BFMS was much easier to apply and remove. So I got a full pot of BF instead.

    By the way
    Thanks for the thread and Wax On !
    Likes JustJesus, Tc99m, Dr Oldz liked this post

  15. #45

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    82,637
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dr Oldz Nuba Thread (Master Edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I know Dr G has said OCW contains nuba. The AG web site says it also.
    https://www.autogeek.net/optimum-spray-wax.html
    Does that mean that carnauba is *not* a factor with regard to autopaint outgassing/curing? Hmmm...

    Ah, OK...his word regarding what`s in his product is good enough for me!

    As for the AG site...well...I`ll go with Dr. G on this one.

    ALTHOUGH...I`ll say that the responses I got when ONR *TRASHED* 476S didn`t really engender confidence as I`ll take my first-hand observations over *ANYBODY`S* pronouncements every single time in any situation, period.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mary B
    You mention Pinnacle Souveran which is a very nice wax.
    My only complaint for me was when I used it before a 400 mile road trip, swear it blew off by the time I got home.
    Heh heh...yeah, I always figured it should be redone after every wash. Best reserved for cars that are washed every time they`re driven and waxed every time they`re washed. And that magically avoid needing anything in the way of real protection.

    In other words...there are some practical reasons why I`ll probably never use it again even on garage queens, though I did like how it looked on the Jag (and when a `85 has about 20Kmiles you could call it a garage queen). And to think it was my primary LSP for a good number of years! Sheesh, the time I wasted on such stuff
    Likes Mary B liked this post

 

 
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The good dr oldz
    By Mbkite in forum Hot Tub
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-21-2018, 04:04 PM
  2. Happy Birthday Dr Oldz
    By mrclean81 in forum Hot Tub
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-30-2013, 07:22 PM
  3. HD CUT Product Testers MASTER THREAD
    By David Fermani in forum 3D / High Definition Car Care
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 03-15-2013, 07:18 PM
  4. Happy Birthday Dr Oldz
    By mrclean81 in forum Hot Tub
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-29-2012, 09:25 AM
  5. Master of Autopia thread
    By Bill D in forum Moderators
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-09-2005, 10:52 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •