Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are we actually regressing using coatings instead of waxs?

I find the ease at which debris comes off the paint during washing for a coated vehicle as a significant benefit vs wax/sealants. Most things like debris, bird crap, etc simply glide off the paint with the minimalist of pressure possible; dramatically reducing the chance of damaging the paint during washing.

Dust would be my next big advantage as it takes a lot longer for the build up of dust to reach the point of making washing it necessary.

Lastly, to me it really isn`t that much harder to do vs applying a wax or a sealant. You are going over the car when you apply a wax or sealant like product anyway, and then buffing it... very similar to applying a coating. The only extra work to me is the prep that you basically have to do before applying a coating.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Those of us who would *really* struggle to see any high spots during application, and who do (only) spot-correction, and who don`t experience the kinds of issues coatings are supposed to address, are likely to stick with conventional LSPs.

Not hating on coatings, I use `em on some wheels and understand completely who others like them. But the *ONLY* difference I`ve experienced compared to my usual LSP is that the coatings don`t need redone quite as often.

Great solution for a number of problems, for those who have the problems. Potential source of (new) problems for those who are doing fine without `em though.

And yeah...looks are purely subjective. estcstm3 loves the look of P21s, and I can understand why....but it`s one of the very few LSPs that I hated the looks of *so much* that I stripped it off my car (just looked wrong to me on the Jag, somebody else would`ve loved it).
    Likes BudgetPlan1, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

As far as the marketing of coatings, yes. Overblown ad copy is nothing new in the detailing world though. I think this is coming around though as we have big name detailers like Larry Kosilla warning against the "superman" characteristics coatings promise and quality articles by Mike Phillips like "The case against multi-year ceramic paint coatings." I`ll argue that most people around here understand their limitations.

Waxes, sealants, coatings; different options for different situations with none of them being wrong.
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post
    As far as the marketing of coatings, yes. Overblown ad copy is nothing new in the detailing world though. ...
    Heh heh heh....yeah, ad-copy...

Gotta consider the source before you accept something as being, uhm... genuine information.
    Likes Chopper280 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortspark View Post
    Coatings are not for the hobbyist detailer. Those of us who are not professional detailers do this because we love working on our cars. Coatings are for people that don`t really enjoy or have the time to devote to the more frequent waxing, polishing and general caring required of non coated cars. For them coatings are a no brainer. But for those of us who have the time and the mind set to work on our cars, get enjoyment out of that work rather than see it as a chore, I say waxing/sealants/QDs and all the other stuff that goes with traditional care is the way to go. I would go one step further and say the more frequent attention is a form of therapy for some of us, even pride. By their very nature coatings are meant to be relatively maintenance free for a year or more. I would go nuts if I could not experiment with new stuff every couple months or so. Doing that would defeat the purpose of coatings. Forget the shine, durability, ease of application, etc. - it is the actual rubbing on my car that turns me on!
    In your opinion.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator mentioned it, but what turns me off about the application of true coatings is my worry of rushing, missing high spots in those initial application moments, and seeing them days later under different lighting conditions. I only use true coatings on windows and wheels, and this happened in numerous places on my wife’s windshield. I tried to live with it but every sunny day they would be staring you in the eye while driving.

i value the look of my car paint much more than windows or wheels, and I don’t want to find 10 high spots that bug my OCD, so right, wrong or otherwise, I dread coating application, beyond just the prep thing.

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- Well, at least you *tried* on the windshield I lack the requisite confidence to try that and I fear that what you`re experiencing would simply drive me nuts.

Oh, and I am curious about something- how do Glass Coatings do on windshields that are all pitted/scratched/etc.? Does that make things more problematic or not?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    acuRAS82- Well, at least you *tried* on the windshield I lack the requisite confidence to try that and I fear that what you`re experiencing would simply drive me nuts.

Oh, and I am curious about something- how do Glass Coatings do on windshields that are all pitted/scratched/etc.? Does that make things more problematic or not?
    I haven’t noticed any increase in the visibility of pitting or scratches by coating glass, if anything coatings may fill a little making the pitting less noticeable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I haven’t noticed any increase in the visibility of pitting or scratches by coating glass, if anything coatings may fill a little making the pitting less noticeable.
    Ah, interesting!

I was wondering whether the imperfections make for a more challenging application.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Ah, interesting!

I was wondering whether the imperfections make for a more challenging application.
    I’m in agreement with rlmccarty, I didn’t see a difference in imperfections after the coating nor did I notice them hindering the process.

As far as my experience, you and I are similar in our fears, and I was bothered by the high spots for quite awhile until I polished off and tried again. My next fear was that I rubbed so much on the next application that maybe I was removing the coating itself, along with the high spots.

Either way I don’t like the application at all compared to wax/sealants

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortspark View Post
    Coatings are not for the hobbyist detailer. Those of us who are not professional detailers do this because we love working on our cars. Coatings are for people that don`t really enjoy or have the time to devote to the more frequent waxing, polishing and general caring required of non coated cars. For them coatings are a no brainer. But for those of us who have the time and the mind set to work on our cars, get enjoyment out of that work rather than see it as a chore, I say waxing/sealants/QDs and all the other stuff that goes with traditional care is the way to go. I would go one step further and say the more frequent attention is a form of therapy for some of us, even pride. By their very nature coatings are meant to be relatively maintenance free for a year or more. I would go nuts if I could not experiment with new stuff every couple months or so. Doing that would defeat the purpose of coatings. Forget the shine, durability, ease of application, etc. - it is the actual rubbing on my car that turns me on!
    Completely disagree with coatings not being for the hobbyist. Well pretty much don`t agree with a majority of this entire statement. It`s all a mater of personal opinion anyway.

This kind of mentality typically comes from someone who has not even ventured into coatings. Maybe I am wrong in assuming you have not tried one. Some of us that have gravitated towards coatings have thought like this at one point.

There is also the misconception that once a coating is applied, that car care is thrown out the window and it is a set it and forget it mentality. Coatings still need to be cared for. One just has to understand the pros and cons of a coating.

As Dan mentioned as one gets older one prefers to have more time for other things.

I do agree that it is personal preference in the grand scheme of things. If one likes to wax then by all means wax. There is nothing wrong with that or even using a sealant.

I coated my daily driver and the garage car. I would not have it any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Accumulator mentioned it, but what turns me off about the application of true coatings is my worry of rushing, missing high spots in those initial application moments, and seeing them days later under different lighting conditions. I only use true coatings on windows and wheels, and this happened in numerous places on my wife’s windshield. I tried to live with it but every sunny day they would be staring you in the eye while driving.

i value the look of my car paint much more than windows or wheels, and I don’t want to find 10 high spots that bug my OCD, so right, wrong or otherwise, I dread coating application, beyond just the prep thing.
    Coatings much like life is a challenge. Without taking that challenge we get nowhere. What I mean by this is to don`t let others scare you away from trying a coating if you have not tried one at all. Not all coatings are the same. We learn from our mistakes. Do some take a little more effort to apply? Sure they do. Should you be turned off by them? No. The best advice I can give you is to research and learn to filter out the relevant posts from the irrelevant posts.

Like everything technique is important. Once that technique is learned it`s a cake walk.

I have tried many coatings, maybe I should create a thread like Budget and capture my thoughts on the various coatings I have used and in general they are all relatively easy to apply. I have experienced high spots when I first started. As a matter of fact I have left a high spot or two on purpose to see what happens as time goes by on personal vehicles.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Chopper280, Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Let me start off by saying that I have coated several cars. After about 1 panel you know how to look for high spots.
    Personally I prefer sealants and waxes. I like to experiment with different products and I have plenty of time being retired.
    We have 3 cars with sealant or sealant and wax. 1 car is coated with the new Blackfire coating (which is nice).
    To my point.
    After driving in the rain it takes the same wash job to clean all of them. They are all dirty, not filthy but dirty. It takes me the same amount of effort sealant or coated.
    I know someone is going to say I don’t know how to wash a car.
    Oh well, whatever.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

To The Guz: I completely agree that coating application can probably be learned quickly. If I had desire to have coatings on my paint I would jump in knowing that I probably won’t achieve great results at first but that they will come with better technique through experience (similar to polishing). My main reason for not wanting coatings is that I would feel guilty polishing them off after 6 months max. I can’t go so long before wanting to polish and try something new since I’m a hobbyist with only 2 cars and a handful of friends/family that I work on.

To Choppers point, I like playing with all different products, enough that I make time whenever possible, be it 11pm, 6am, or my son’s nap time. I get a certain thrill out of using new things and then watching the results, then tweaking sprays/QDs, then eventually start over with something new.

Post Thanks / Like

I got off on a tangent above, but my point to Guz was that although I’m not a huge fan of coating applications, I would not let that alone keep me from enjoying coatings if I wanted them. It is however a negative to me if I’m comparing coatings vs. wax/sealants

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the reason Coatings were/are so easy for me to apply, was probably because I graduated with Honors from the Zaino School of Thin, Even, Coats...

Well, that and years of wet, block sanding prior to painting, taught me how to absolutely make a straight, even line across a panel with the same amount of downward pressure..
    Then, of course, the priming and painting, where you have to absolutely hold the gun the exact distance across a panel to get even material coverage..

And then, keeping the same amount of pressure with the Makita across a panel, same thing...

If one can get this and really work at getting it right, then the even, thin, coat application of any coating will be pretty much trouble free..
    Also, there cannot be enough stress on having Superior Lighting above and around the vehicle to help you see any oopsies` as you go..

I remember the first time I applied my first Optimum Coating - I was a little nervous for a minute... then I remembered.... It`s just like Zaino .... Thin, Even, Coats... Keep track of the last coat.. .Overlap a little and apply the next one... just like Zaino...

And for sure, coating the wheels of the Bimmers, and all the other vehicles we had = way, way, less wheel cleaning time; the inner wheels, always looked beautiful whenever they were washed.. Again, I only use Carpro Reset on all coated vehicles and have never had an issue with it or the coated vehicle...

A few years back, I was constantly driving back and forth to Texas from California to help take care of my aging Parents.. I would be gone months at a time..
    Sometimes I would barely have time to get the Jeep washed and it might be at one of those touchless car washes at the Union76 stations, etc...

When I finally got to stop this constant driving, my Optimum coated Black Jeep paint was way less than Optimum for sure...
    All those car washes just helped contribute soap gunk that stuck to the coating like glue..

Took a few Reset washes and like magic, the Coating was back, and all was good again...
    And very little paint defects in all that black paint.. The coating took the hit, and when I removed it with Optimum Finish, it was very easy..
    This was at 4+ years with Optimum OptiGuard I believe it was called...
    Dan F
    Likes The Guz, SWETM liked this post

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information