Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Accumulator Made Me Do It

crunchyblack- Yeah, if you overdo the layering those pseudo-holograms can be a problem. Glad yours sorted out OK, when it doesn`t it`s one *big* PIA!

Heh heh, on that "seeing the coverage", I guess I`m a bit odd in that I see it as an interesting exercise; how little can I use while still getting full, even coverage. I have to work *VERY* methodically and carefully to attain that when I can`t see it on the paint, but I can honestly say I don`t find it difficult. But eh...different people etc. etc. Heh heh, at least the FK is easier than doing Klasse Sealant Glaze that thin! Doing a Suburban-size vehicle, jambs and all, with a fraction of an ounce of a nearly clear liquid? Six coats worth? Now *THAT* is a bit of a challenge.

Gotta say that I don`t get the "silver is different from black" thing as IMO clearcoat is clearcoat, just gotta get the inspection lighting right. It *can* be a little challenging on light colors, hence my "gotta be Accumulator-proof" comments regarding the Ice`s potential streaking.

But then again, OTOH, I sure don`t think people oughta go looking for problems they don`t know they have! I`m sure yours looks great, I just hope it stays that way for a while despite the temps in your area.

I gauge durability in a pretty general sense: I try to spot changes. If it looks different, well...that`s an obvious one but I trust nobody`s gonna wait that long Beading in the rain only works if it rains, so in your case I`d probably go by how it behaves during the wash. Not just the beading, but also how readily it sheds dirt. I`d sure want to redo long before it no longer feels slick, and on cars that seldom get rained on I guess my usual cue is a slight change in that beading during the wash. As soon as the beads become larger and less spherical, I reapply.

Post Thanks / Like

15 yrs. he recommended Opti-Coat for my impossibly soft black paint and after chasing after all the scratches was just beginning to see primer.
    Once applied it was a layer of clear coat that was harder than factory. After every was the black Infiniti looked amazin
    So since then I value his opinion and my recent purchase has been FK 1000.

Post Thanks / Like

bcgreen- Hey, you`ve piqued my curiosity! Why did you switch from the coating approach to the FK? Sure hope the latter works out as well as the OptiCoat did on that Infiniti.

BTW, I wish that original OptiCoat were still on the market, it worked well on the wheels I tried it on.

EDIT: 15 years huh? How time flies...I would`ve guessed about half that

Post Thanks / Like

Alright im testing this FK added gloss thing today. Last night i did what i hope will be my last wax coat of the summer. Under the lights at the self serve i did see some halo`ing on my roof i couldnt buff out, which im fine with, the car now has like 4 coats of FK with some ice spray wax sandwiched between so im sure theres some chemical repelling going on between coats. Its the roof and i cant notice it in daylight very easy. Either way whats going on isnt surface level where a microfiber is going to fix it.

I did notice that perhaps the extra gloss i was talking about was pretty close to a fresh FK coat, i think it dulls after a week and topping it off with a detail or spray wax brings back that high gloss.

My FK coat cured over night so ill hit it with a detail spray to get the over night dust layer off in a few hours and see if it adds to the gloss of a fresh coat or just gets the dust off.

After that, its self serve rinse and dry with their power washer (ill do a high pressure soap if needed, that soap is super watered down though) for the rest of summer.

Ill test by how slick the paint feels and if i can start feeling grit on the paint to tell how long the stuffs working. I guess the rinse wash will show beading, ill do that at least once a week. Really dont care about beading when you get 5inches of rain a year. Repelling dust and allowing it to blow off when driving is more important. Ill update later today or tomorrow about if using a detail spray really does add gloss though...not sure which detail spray ill use, either 303 or Ice...both i know are very glossy.

Post Thanks / Like

crunchyblack- If I`m reading that right, you plan t rely on touchless washes throughout summer. IMO that`s not gonna work all that great as I believe you`ll need the mechanical aspect of "regular washing" to keep things truly clean. Yeah, I get by for a while with just a home touchless, but I`m not trying it on a vehicle that anyone (except an Autopian) would consider dirty...I suspect that mine wearing the FK are awfully pampered as Daily Drivers go, at least compared to most people`s.

Sorry to hear about the pseudo-holograms. Glad they don`t bug you, I simply couldn`t drive it until I fixed `em Heh heh, I find it interesting that I`d care about those while you`re apparently more concerned with the level of gloss than I am...different people care about different things!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    crunchyblack- If I`m reading that right, you plan t rely on touchless washes throughout summer. IMO that`s not gonna work all that great as I believe you`ll need the mechanical aspect of "regular washing" to keep things truly clean. Yeah, I get by for a while with just a home touchless, but I`m not trying it on a vehicle that anyone (except an Autopian) would consider dirty...I suspect that mine wearing the FK are awfully pampered as Daily Drivers go, at least compared to most people`s.

Sorry to hear about the pseudo-holograms. Glad they don`t bug you, I simply couldn`t drive it until I fixed `em Heh heh, I find it interesting that I`d care about those while you`re apparently more concerned with the level of gloss than I am...different people care about different things!
    Eh, the glories of apartment living. I have a microfiber mitt, the one with all the yarn dangles like a mop. I use that for agitation if needed. Usually its the rocker panels and lowers, ill use the stratchmaster 5000 brush for windows for the foam.

Really all ive needed since i put on the hi temp wax is a solid pressure wash to get the dust off. My wax pad is a microfiber covered foam circle with the velcro knob, last application last night i had minimal film on the pad after use.

I dont think my car has gotten naturally wet in a few months, and last significant rain was dry by the time i woke up. I battle dust really...oh they also tar spray some of the roads to make them look black, so occasionally tar spots usually behind the wheel on the panels.

Other than the sun being murderous, and dust storms in july/august theres not much on my car other than a talc powder consistency dust to contend with. Thus far FK has held up well, is great with dust, and has survived well over what would wreck a carnuba in terms of heat.

Today i used the ice detailer (not spray wax) to top off my fresh coat of FK. I think i like 303 speed detailer best slightly more added gloss but i did notice the ice detail it made the FK reflection more...sharp and vivid...not much but enough i noticed. Definitely less than the spray wax. im about 99% sure my cool season LSP is going to be the turtle wax ice paste and spray wax, surprised it doesn`t get more love given how cheap it is. Can`t wait to try out the paste wax variant.

Until the monsoons ill be rinse and detail spray maintenance. Once the storms start ill need to agitate especially if the car gets wet then dusty...or i actually drive on a wet road for once and get kick up spray from other cars. Ill probably iron decon once the heat breaks in late september as well.

For now im gonna kick back and watch the FK try to survive longer than one month. Real test is august where it will need to sit in the sun for a week at the airport while i visit family and escape the high temps for a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

crunchyblack- I`ll be looking forward to those updates Your situation does indeed sound extremely severe.

Oh, and just FWIW, and with a nod to "different strokes.."/etc., I utterly despise those muppet/dreadlock/yarn-dangle mitts! Big, thick, strands, and few of `em, aren`t what I want. I want a multitude of thin strands for a variety of reasons. Analogy: toothbrushes- would you rather brush your teeth with a brush that had twenty thick bristles or two hundred thin ones? Apologies if you`re not using the kind of mitt I think you are and I just wasted bandwidth ranting; apologies also if you *are* using what I think you are and I just flamed something you like

Post Thanks / Like

bcgreen- Hey, you`ve piqued my curiosity! Why did you switch from the coating approach to the FK? Sure hope the latter works out as well as the OptiCoat did on that Infiniti.

BTW, I wish that original OptiCoat were still on the market, it worked well on the wheels I tried it on.

EDIT: 15 years huh? How time flies...I would`ve guessed about half that
    I just didn`t think there was another product that was as good the the Opti-coat. Would still be buying if the price hadn`t sky rocketed. And now only the professionals are allowed to purchase.

As we get older the faster time flies.

Post Thanks / Like

bcgreen- That`s the kind of reasoning that has my recently purchased coating sitting on the shelf while I stew in Buyer`s Remorse

As we get older the faster time flies.
    Heh heh, yeah...even for those of us who`ll accept "older" but not "old"

Post Thanks / Like

bcgreen- That`s the kind of reasoning that has my recently purchased coating sitting on the shelf while I stew in Buyer`s Remorse

Heh heh, yeah...even for those of us who`ll accept "older" but not "old"
    I really was amazed how great Opti-Coat was, once applied to the super soft Infiniti G35. Every time I washed the car it looked as if I had just finished doing a 3 day detail on the car- it was so wonderful to look at. I cannot say that about any car I`ve done since then. Loved that product.
    Have you found another coating that compares?
    Sorry but FK doesn`t compare but I still like it together with Collinite.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    Have you found another coating that compares [with the original OptiCoat]?
    Not that I can comment about. I got some 22ple stuff but haven`t tried it yet (kinda experiencing Buyer`s Remorse, not very psyched about trying it).

Sorry but FK doesn`t compare but I still like it together with Collinite.
    I`m doing OK with the FK as I redo them in a kinda-big way when I switch to the winter setup, but I`ll agree it doesn`t last like the OptiCoat did. It did last longer than Collinite for me (by a big margin) and was basically similar to KSG X 6.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information