Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Accumulator Made Me Do It

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    ... Not surprised that the Nanoskin didn`t pick up much, after going *years* without decontaminating the Tahoe, when I finally did clay it there was hardly anything there, really wouldn`t have been necessary as stuff just doesn`t stick to/penetrate the FK for me.

JustJesus- That Malm`s is one of the most overlooked good waxes I can think of. I can only recall two or three Autopians who`ve ever even tried it. It was the first LSP I used on trim, way back in the `80s.
    On the wife`s Kia, I went roughly 6-8 months before I decided to clay it. It was wearing FK at the time. With Accumulator`s posts about Sonus Clay, I bought some and tried it out. Sure enough, what little contamination was on the Kia, the Sonus [ultra fine] clay removed it without disturbing the underlying FK. A very gentle clay, and very gentle technique, along with lots of clay lube....that did the trick.

So Malm`s is trim safe, eh? Good to know. Wow. Not very many Autopians on that list!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=JustJesus;2141290]On the wife`s Kia, I went roughly 6-8 months before I decided to clay it. It was wearing FK ..[and]..what little contamination was on the Kia, the Sonus [ultra fine] clay removed it without disturbing the underlying FK...[quote]

You must`ve indeed used a very good, gentle, technique!

So Malm`s is trim safe, eh? Good to know. Wow. Not very many Autopians on that list!
    First tried it on trim after the Jag`s EVR Trim Dressing ran in the rain (parked outside when it was my daily), worked great. Kept doing it with Souveran, then with 845/KSG/etc. I`d be careful though, I`d wipe-on-wipe-off, and if you use too much it could stain, and it occurs to me that I haven`t used/bought Malm`s for decades, so who knows if it still works OK for this...

And yeah, I vaguely recall somebody else here once saying they used Malm`s, but that was years ago and it seems like nobody uses old-school waxes much any more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FryeBaby View Post
    Surly, I noticed you said your car wasn`t slick and I noticed in your steps you didn`t mention claying it.
    Hiya - nanoskin fine was in place of clay. Prior to re-applying FK it was smooth, but was not slippery. When I`ve just finished a polish it is usually somewhat slippery, but who knows what oils or whatever may be left behind.

For what it`s worth, when I first applied FK last summer it was stripping wash, nanoskin, wash, Menzerna SF4000 polish, Eraser wipedown, FK *2.

Post Thanks / Like

You must`ve indeed used a very good, gentle, technique!
    Slowly but surely! I read your posts, and tried to do similar. Although it may have taken more time than my normal clay method, it saved even more time over having to redo the whole thing (polish/clean, rewax).

And yeah, I vaguely recall somebody else here once saying they used Malm`s, but that was years ago and it seems like nobody uses old-school waxes much any more.
    Old-school waxes? As in M16? hehe. People are moving toward coatings. I still like waxes for some reason. Sealants on some cars, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    ... Although it may have taken more time than my normal clay method, it saved even more time over having to redo the whole thing (polish/clean, rewax)...
    Good perspective Well, as long as you can pull it off (as you indeed did).

Old-school waxes? As in M16? hehe. People are moving toward coatings. I still like waxes for some reason. Sealants on some cars, too.
    Yeah...I was using M16 before switching mostly to Malm`s (for years). I can appreciate waxes looks-wise, and consider some much more durable and protective than some sealants, and might still use a wax on the Jag if I ever get it out of mothballs. Uhm... I mean "when I get it out"

Post Thanks / Like

Add my name to that list... and I couldn`t be more pleased that I did.
    Took the gloss on my silver 2012 Tacoma to a level that I have been chasing for 6 years.
    Had a neighbor stop yesterday and ask me what I had done to the truck and said it had never looked better.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Accumulator has not gotten me to buy FK1000P (yet), as I am still of the Collinite 915 wax camp.
    BUT, for the price of Collinite 915 I could buy BOTH the FK1000P Hi-Temp wax and the Pink wax and find out for myself what all the hubba-bubba is about in this forum over this wax. Like many experiences in life, you will not know until you try it.
    Let`s put it this way: FK1000P is less expensive to buy the Meguiars` OTC Ultimate Paste Wax. (Not considering the shipping cost, of course)

I remember when Finish-Kare used to give out small sample sized tins (3 0z. ??) of both of these waxes when you bought a larger order from them upon request.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

fries- Welcome to Autopia! Glad it`s working out so well for you, and Welcome to the People Compliment My FK1000Ped Vehicle Club too

Lonnie- That 3oz. is about right; mine doesn`t have a net wt. on the label. AFAIK the sample tins were sent out by FK`s one-time distributor "FK1". It`s their logo in largest type on the tin. The label is kinda slap-dash with half the Application Directions being for FK1000P and suddenly switching to references to their Pink Wax halfway through. I got mine when ordering [who knows what], lasted me for a *long* time before I needed to actually buy a full-size tin.

I hadn`t noticed about the cost, that appears to be quite a bargain! Since it hardly ever needs to be reapplied (IMO) that cheaper tin oughta last a lot longer too. All while protecting like no other LSP I`ve ever used.

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie - I had settled on Jescar Power Lock topped with Collinite 845 after trying a lot of other waxes and sealants, figured that was as good as I was going to get.
    Had an issue with the #845 getting "oily" or "greasy" after about a week that required a wipe down again.
    Can say I never tried the Collinite #915, but was wowed by the results I got from the FK1000P (now BWM-101)

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator - Thanks for the welcome and the recommendation.
    In your experience is it better to do a second application of Hi-temp and then top with the Pink? Or just use the Pink as a second coat this week after my weekly wash?

Post Thanks / Like

fries- Heh heh...here`s where Autopian Perfection runs into Accumulator`s Practical Perfectionism

I wouldn`t top it at all because I`d want to be able to add more FK1000P/BigWhiteMarine-101 (heh heh, I`m enough like Floyd that I`ll stick with "FK1000P").

I like to reLSP before it`s really necessary and thus stay ahead of the curve.

I would want the second coat of FK1000P on there no matter what, so I`d get that done first and see what you think of the look (well, unless you already have the Pink).

I honestly don`t know which would be best if you do want to top it with the Pink, but *I* would probably wait until after the next wash. I`ve noticed the FK1000P often looks just a bit different after a day or three, and IMO that means something is happening; I`d want that something over and done with before I added another product to the mix.

EDIT: Now watch Ketch see this post and email/etc. to say I`m off-base! Don`t think I am, but..never know.

Post Thanks / Like

That massive thread here about FK is what caused me to buy it, that and the claims of a high temp sealant which is suitable for phoenix weather.

This product baffles me, it seems mis marketed towards marine supplies, its not marketed at all, has a homely can, super low priced with a lot of product....and it performs so damn well. It seems well known among enthusiasts/pros but something a hobbyest would never pick up due to its looks, not that they could ever find it at a store.

Whats wrong with this company? I bet if they remarketed this stuff with a smaller can that looked all fancy and got it in stores the stuff would be legendary. Why have they sat for an eternity ont his stuff and done nothing with it as far as marketing it as a great hot weather sealant?

Id be pissed at them if i was accumulator and top stock holder tbh. FFS if they sold this stuff in a clean white tin to Chemical Guys, and let them slap a sticker on it, add their own degenerate name to it, sprinkle some cotton candy scent or whatever into it, and market it, this stuff would give give them a good name in the industry beyond over hyped stuff that smells good and disappoints for a higher than normal price.

It`s a really confusing product and company if you ask me, seem ok with and above average product performing poorly in the market. IDC if it ruins the cheapness of the product, i already have a can and im set for the next 50 years of waxing....

Post Thanks / Like

crunchyblack- Maybe Ron Ketcham, who worked there with Floyd Meguiar, will see this and chime in. Ketch would know the real story if anybody does, though I dunno if he`d want to discuss it for obvious reasons (he`s *NOT* some disgruntled ex-employee or anything like that and as an honorable guy I doubt he`ll say much about his past employers).

The FK target demo has always been skewed towards the Pro/"insider" end of the spectrum other than a modest attempt at mainstreaming by their old distributor who marketed it under the "FinishKare1" label. When FK1 went out of business that ended. At least it`s not as hard to find as some other product lines that can only be ordered direct from the makers or "approved sources" (e.g., Leather Doctor, Malm`s).

The part number-like product descriptions where what Floyd liked, and it was his company (I dunno whether it`s privately/publicly held but I suspect the former). FWIW, I myself *like* that as I find most Detailing Product names silly at best and misleading at worst. I also like the "chemical scent" and lack of vibrant coloring (notable exception- FK425). But hey, that`s just me

Finish Kare was Floyd`s baby and he ran it his way. Since his death I don`t know who`s been running it or how.

FK1000P was originally developed as a competitor to the M16 sold by Floyd`s family, which was a jack-of-all-trades LSP for ages. FK1000P`s durability makes it suitable for Marine applications, similar to how Collinite`s 845 Insulator Wax is sometimes marketed (many have found it in boat/etc. shops) and maybe they figure they`ll sell most of it for that use.

With Floyd long gone, I`m just glad FK is still in business, and apparently doing well enough to stay viable. They`ve dialed back their product line dramatically, so I can only guess as to what the future may hold.

No, I`m not stocking up on FK1000P or FK425! I learned my lesson about, uhm...accumulating...large stashes of preferred products when I bought all that Pre-VOC M16 and Collinite 476s that I`m now stuck with. IF FK were to go out of business, I`d pick up two tins of FK1000P and that would easily last me for the rest of this lifetime, with plenty left over to get thrown away when they settle my estate. FWIW, I`m still on my *first* tin of the stuff, not counting the tiny (and dried-out, but it worked just fine) little sample tin that intro`ed me to to it. That big can oughta last most people well over a decade even if they`re doing big vehicles all the time the way I do. (Well, not "all the time" as I hardly ever have to reapply since it lasts so long for me.)

NOW...returning to your concerns about the heat in AZ...I`m *VERY* curious how it`ll work out for you. With the differing experiences of others in hot climes, I just don`t know which way it`ll go. When you report back we`ll have more data, and if it doesn`t work out for you I bet somebody will buy the rest of it.

Thin, *thin*, *THIN* If you can clearly see it on the paint you used many times more than necessary, at least IME. I have to go by feel as I can`t readily see the minute amount that I apply. Fog the surface with your breath when buffing off, which will make for easier buffing and will also let you see the product on the paint. (Gee, wonder how that "fogging" will work in AZ!?!). Yeah, I`m sure you`ve already read all that before, but IMO it`s worth repeating.

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder how many here *have* bought some based on my recommendation.

Even more curious about people who`ve discovered/tried it on their own.

And I`m truly serious about wanting to know about any negative takes on the stuff.
    I bought some this weekend from AG and I know your comments on this product have had an effect on the purchase. Can`t wait to try it!

Post Thanks / Like

Thin, *thin*, *THIN* If you can clearly see it on the paint you used many times more than necessary, at least IME. I have to go by feel as I can`t readily see the minute amount that I apply. Fog the surface with your breath when buffing off, which will make for easier buffing and will also let you see the product on the paint. (Gee, wonder how that "fogging" will work in AZ!?!). Yeah, I`m sure you`ve already read all that before, but IMO it`s worth repeating.
    That there is some interesting back story...

As far as durability in the valley of the sun, its going to be rough to tell. Ill be able to tell water beading in august from the monsoons, but other than that, i have to go more of slickness of feel and water beading from a power washer at a self serve...

I do notice that i can more or less apply and wipe away without much cure time, i dont get much fogging/haze/halos but i have a silver car (2018 cruze) so its only something id see at angles with a light source reflection. I did see some halos after my 3rd coat with a week between, and took detail spray and a microfiber to the whole car and it was gone no issue.

Ive been using FK as my base coat since basically march 1st, and have applied multiple coats with a week or more between, only recently using turtle wax ice spray wax for all the trim bits FK wont work on without staining.

All i can say is that theres no grit stuck to my mirror finish that feels like polished glass (cant feel the micro swirls i have) June/july/August and some of september will be the real test of this stuff, with a potential week long stay at the airport open lot where fallout and heat will be a real issue.

I think this weekend ill sweat out a last coat of FK and leave it be.

Anyone have the idea yet mix in some black light reflectant ink or something into sealants so you can see if its covered still? Its going to be hard to see how this holds up.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information