View Poll Results: Have you ever put wax over sealant on your own car ?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

65 79.27%
  • No

17 20.73%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you wax over sealant ?

Yes, I do. I think waxing a car is important because it prevents car paint from dirt, pollution. And in winters I think it is necessary to wax a car. I do this after every 5 - 6 months and I also enjoy it while doing it.

Post Thanks / Like

inoutcarwash- Welcome to Autopia!

Your post confused me- why would the waxing be important, let alone *necessary* if there`s already a sealant on the paint?

Post Thanks / Like

I put some sealant
    Over my sealant
    When I can no longer see
    My first coat of sealant
    Likes glfnaz, Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    inoutcarwash- Welcome to Autopia!

Your post confused me- why would the waxing be important, let alone *necessary* if there`s already a sealant on the paint?
    Hello Accumulator,
    In my point of view, wax adds a little depth which keeps your car paint longer time and provide deeper shine. And it also adds extra gloss and extra layer on a car, which hides small scratches if car had any on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by inoutcarwash View Post
    Hello Accumulator,
    In my point of view, wax adds a little depth which keeps your car paint longer time and provide deeper shine. And it also adds extra gloss and extra layer on a car, which hides small scratches if car had any on it.
    Thanks for trying to clarify for me! I just don`t follow the "keeps your paint longer time" part or see why it`d be *necessary*. If something already wearing a sealant needs another layer of protection I`d just add more sealant. Once you add wax you can`t add more sealant and have to start over when that`s called for.

So I don`t see it as necessary. Desirable perhaps, yeah...I don`t like how sealants look on some paint compared to waxes.

Sorry if I`m being a jerk.

Post Thanks / Like

Your saying that once you wax your vehicle you can not apply sealant until the car has been "stripped" to remove all the wax?
    Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Never Enuff View Post
    Your saying that once you wax your vehicle you can not apply sealant until the car has been "stripped" to remove all the wax?
    Jay
    At the risk of overgeneralizing...yeah. None of my sealants will bond properly to an underlying (natural) wax. So if I top those sealants with any of my waxes I have to strip the vehicle back to bare paint before I can apply another coat of sealant.

Even though my sealants will bond to the *synthetic* waxes that some products leave behind, those synthetic waxes (which IMO are just another form of "sealant") don`t look like carnaubas/etc. and thus wouldn`t be worth using as toppers. And the ones I use are variations on the AIO/Cleaner-Wax theme and would thus not really be appropriate as toppers anyhow.

Perhaps there are synthetic waxes out there that do look like natural ones; BF`s AFPP might qualify and (the very slick, nice looking) UPP comes to mind but despite being a "sealant" the protection it provides is *so* minimal that I`d never recommend it. But those wouldn`t need topped for looks...maybe for some added protection but then why bother using them in the first place?

I do get the reasons for using a wax, I just don`t value those things as much as the reasons for using a sealant, at least not on most vehicles. IMO it`s an either/or choice; pick one LSP and use it as often as necessary.
    Likes DetailZeus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

All your wax are belong to us.
    Likes Loach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    I am really shocked that there are so many people still using wax, I thought the sealants, and coatings had bout an end to that for the serious car detailers. Don`t get me wrong. I love the look and performance of my P21S 100%, but it only wasted 3 weeks and picked up all kinds of contamination in that time. I just don`t have the time for that anymore.

To each their won, enjoy the wax my friends.
    Kinda like buying a manual car. Today’s automatic transmissions shift faster and smoother thus leaving no physical benefits other than driving experience. Although their is a visual difference also (which looks better could be a whole nother thread) most like the time they spend with their waxes and cars. For the record I’m a sio2 sealant and automatic type of guy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Kinda like buying a manual car. Today’s automatic transmissions shift faster and smoother thus leaving no physical benefits other than driving experience. Although their is a visual difference also (which looks better could be a whole nother thread) most like the time they spend with their waxes and cars. For the record I’m a sio2 sealant and automatic type of guy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have opinions but I`m still finding myself... errr my sealant

One of the benefits of using a sealant is you can top it up with the same stuff. No separate "booster" product required.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

You have to realize that due to the solvents used in waxes, in many cases, when you apply waxes over a sealant you don`t truly layer them. (I think P21s is a wax that can be layered over a sealant). The solvents can remove all or a portion of the pre-existang sealant laid down. Now, some of the newer water based sprays or washes will add a slight layer of gloss and protection on top of a previously applied sealant.
    Likes m54daboll liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    Answer: Ron made me do it.
    Logic: It`s all Ron`s fault.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    That`s a good collection of wax! I just got some of those Dodo Juice waxes in. I also have a fresh shipment of Son1c Wax coming in (even though he stopped making it). What do you think of Wolfgang Fuzion? I`ve been looking at that for awhile.
    Michael Daboll
    Aspire Premier Auto Detailing

-2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo R Spec 6 Speed Manual (Daily Driver Boston)
    -2011 BMW 328i Sedan 6 Speed Auto (Daily Driver San Diego)
    -1981 Datsun 280zx 5 Speed Manual (Autocross/ Track/ Project Car)
    -1991 Cadillac Deville 4 Speed Auto (Ex-Boston Daily Driver turned project due to rust)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    You have to realize that due to the solvents used in waxes, in many cases, when you apply waxes over a sealant you don`t truly layer them. (I think P21s is a wax that can be layered over a sealant). The solvents can remove all or a portion of the pre-existang sealant laid down. Now, some of the newer water based sprays or washes will add a slight layer of gloss and protection on top of a previously applied sealant.
    Not all waxes have solvent in them. Most of them do, but there are still plenty of waxes you can layer on top of sealants with no issue.
    Michael Daboll
    Aspire Premier Auto Detailing

-2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo R Spec 6 Speed Manual (Daily Driver Boston)
    -2011 BMW 328i Sedan 6 Speed Auto (Daily Driver San Diego)
    -1981 Datsun 280zx 5 Speed Manual (Autocross/ Track/ Project Car)
    -1991 Cadillac Deville 4 Speed Auto (Ex-Boston Daily Driver turned project due to rust)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m54daboll View Post
    That`s a good collection of wax! I just got some of those Dodo Juice waxes in. I also have a fresh shipment of Son1c Wax coming in (even though he stopped making it). What do you think of Wolfgang Fuzion? I`ve been looking at that for awhile.
    Fuzion is great. I loaned my jar out to a friend and it came back almost empty. Guess he liked it too, lol.

It was gifted to me so no big deal.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Brandt K.
    Likes m54daboll liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

IMO the "wax`s solvents messing with sealant" will be product-specific. I`d lean towards thinking that any sealant that could be compromised by the carrier solvents in a wax must be one mighty wimpy sealant and I`d want to use something else. No wax is gonna compromise cured KSG or FK1000P, that`s for sure, it`s hard enough to compromise those with solvents that`re made for that job.
    Likes m54daboll, acuRAS82 liked this post

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information