Thread: Victoria wax

Post Thanks / Like

Victoria wax

Finally got around to washing the car and was planning on using the Victoria wax. The Victoria wax says to apply by hand. They don`t recommend using any kind of applicator. They say it changes the mixture percentages because the pad absorbs some of the oils and solvents. Two things, I wonder if that would be true for most waxes, or do they compensate for it with the formula? Does it truly make a difference, and they just want to sound more unique? Well, I refuse to apply by hand. I would not have a clean hand to do anything else with. So, I pulled out a microfiber applicator and sprayed it with a fabric protectant. I thought I`d now give that 24 hr`s to cure. Then I would do a side by side section. One with the treated applicator. The other with a new applicator. Then give the wax 24 hr`s to cure, and see if there`s a difference.

So tomorrow I`ll apply the wax and report back. Friday I`ll report back if I see a difference after it cures.
    Likes jojo69, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Victoria wax

Coleroad:
    One characteristic or "feature" of using your hand is the natural body temperature that warms/heats the wax as you apply it, supposedly providing a more uniform layer because the oils, solvents, and wax are "mixed"/combined by this heating. That`s the theory and your hand can feel the surface it is being applied to, almost "messaging" in the wax. Now, whether your skin on your hands is softer than a foam pad, that`s another story. Mine is not! After detailing, my skin on my hands is "as rough as a cobb" because I do not wear rubber or latex gloves using car-care chemicals. Optimum Power Clean or any degreaser will do that to one`s hands if exposed to those chemicals long enough (like washing an engine compartment by hand with said products).
    By the way, I condition my car-care chemical chapped hands with O`keeffe`s Working Hands Hand Cream. It is one of the few hand creams that really work, especially in the winter when your finger tips end up cracked and splitting (and bleeding) and things like salt or lemon juice can be extremely painful in those cracks when using your hands to prep food for cooking.
    GB detailer
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I thought it was about the heat...so I`d wear gloves.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Their website talks about both the change in solvency and heat.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    Their website talks about both the change in solvency and heat.
    Wow, the "apply by hand" takes me back to the 70`s !
    For sure, you won`t use as much product this way because it won`t all be stuck in a foam pad or other type of applicator..
    If I was ever going to do this again, I would just put on a pair of nitrile gloves, and really save on product that would be absorbed by your skin..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Wow, the "apply by hand" takes me back to the 70`s !..
    If I was ever going to do this again, I would just..
    Heh heh, "operative word "if"...", huh? I can`t imagine actually working at my LSP like that, but then plenty of guys take this stuff a whole lot farther than I do!
    Likes Stokdgs, Goonie75 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard of the practice of applying wax with your bare hands, but I never have seen a wax that requested you apply it by hand. Kinda neat.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I applied it today. It`s 80 out right now so pretty warm. I tried first on the hood with the applicator pad. It felt like I was trying to spread peanut butter. So I gave in and decided I would try to spread it barehanded. While it was a little easier, not by much. It is a wowo product. The wipe off was fairly easy. I only did about half of the little hood on the Buick. I get that it hadn`t had time to really flash completely. I could easily tell where I had applied the Victoria wax. The shine was muted by a lot. Like being back in the 70`s again. A hard to apply lousy looking results. I`d rather get a can of rain dance out and use it. I`m so disappointed, I expected at the minimum a good looking finish. No way even if it did would I put in the effort just to use it. I wiped the hood down three times with perp-sol and layered on a new coat of fusso coat.
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Coleroad- Aw, gee...sorry you wasted all that time and effort

EDIT: And hey, RainDance wasn`t all that awful, especially for those times. My fave aunt kept her MOPAR *really* nice with RainDance after the M7/M16 got to be too much for her. Murder on trim though...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I have heard of the practice of applying wax with your bare hands, but I never have seen a wax that requested you apply it by hand. Kinda neat.
    I have applied DoDo waxes by hand and I find it to be pleasurable and efficient. However, I`m talking pillars and spoiler louvers and similar smaller areas. I also "cut in" by hand sometimes, even with sealants. But, doing an entire car with bare hands would be a chore, especially with my carpel tunnel. The fact that the Victoria wax almost mandates bare hand application is just bizarre.

Post Thanks / Like

I have Victoria Red and had always applied it with a yellow foam applicator. Very easy on and off. Also looked great. Maybe because I loaded the applicator with wax was the reason it went well, dunno. Haven’t used any of my waxes in nearly three years the to coatings.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the Victoria chaos wax. It`s one of their older formulas I believe. We`ll see if waxaddict has any better luck with it. Funny thing is I was worried I was going to like it so much I was going to be sad passing it on to waxaddict.
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post
    Thanks WaxAddict thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Victorias red wax is a great wax and I have had good results with it. That being said I can`t remember the last time I used a wax. Only for barely driven classics. But Victorias red is definitely a under rated budget friendly wax.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Likes Coleroad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Vic`s Red all the way !!
    My Red Nissan daily gets a deeper look to the paint.
    I use a BF black wax app.( THE best I`ve found). Work it so it heats some then wipe it off.
    Wear gloves though.. I did 2 coats of Vic`s red then topped with 1 coat of PA Red Opal, no gloves on... Red hands for a few hours
    Likes Coleroad liked this post

Thread Information