Post Thanks / Like

Coating over a coating?

Hey long time no see. lol...

I have a situation where I applied a 9h coating on one car and the customer wants product b on same car.
    Q uk on second car. Has anyone applied coating over coating? Ya Ya... strip first coating. Might not stick on coating etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating over a coating?

Dunno, have done it within the same product line, ISM over Miyabi, CanCoat over Mohs and such.

When I went from 22ple HPC to Miyabi/ISM I left the 22ple intact in the door jambs and put Miyabi/ISM over it just to see what would happen (nothing bad that I`ve seen) but nothing beyond that.

:shrug:
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Coating over a coating?

Couldn’t imagine it being a problem unless the 9h product you used had tiny ninja qualities that kicked and punched the new coating off. Kinda like other products “not bonding” I have never seen any pool of a product on the floor after it was applied over one that it wasn’t compatible with.

It may not be ideal and it may not last as long as a “bare “ surface. But so much of this is just untested marketing propaganda that until it’s done it’s unknown

On this forum and others...Some people get years out of coatings some get days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I believe CarPro suggests 2 coats of CQUARTZ and I know of others that say only one coat is necessary. I don’t see a problem adding a second coat but I would do a prep wipedown before the second coat to remove any dust that may have settled. Come to think of it, most of these “toppers” are just weak coatings anyway and they don’t have any problems “sticking”.
    Likes nickclark08, RMD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m going to be doing it on a Genesis on which I put the crappy Optimum Gloss coat. I`m going to be putting Feynlab Top Coat over it.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the Feynlab Topcoat similar to CarPro Gliss, Gyeon Skin, and TAC Systems Topcoat 1.0? Seems like more and more coating toppers are hitting the market. I’ve only tried TAC Systems Topcoat 1.0 and it is the slickest, glossiest stuff I have ever used. I always understood why coatings were not slick (lotus effect) so now why are these toppers slick? Just to stop water spotting? Does the self cleaning aspect of coatings go away by using these toppers? Too many questions.
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Is the Feynlab Topcoat similar to CarPro Gliss, Gyeon Skin, and TAC Systems Topcoat 1.0? Seems like more and more coating toppers are hitting the market. I’ve only tried TAC Systems Topcoat 1.0 and it is the slickest, glossiest stuff I have ever used. I always understood why coatings were not slick (lotus effect) so now why are these toppers slick? Just to stop water spotting? Does the self cleaning aspect of coatings go away by using these toppers? Too many questions.
    Ya kinda a catch 22 on slick or not slick.

Thread Information