Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: fk1000p over klasse sg

Accumulator, you asked me about 2 years ago to let you know how I felt about fk1000p after living with it for a while.......2 years later and amazing.

I apply it about 3 times a year and use fk425 after washes and my 2008 dark bronze and tan Subaru Outback looks brand new without the dealer installed swirls. I lurk on the forums and read many posts about the newest and greatest products but can`t imagine how my car could look any better.

I get compliments wherever I go and a few days ago a guy in a fairly new Outback was parked next to me and said that he was happy that Subaru was bringing back the older style, he liked it better??

Thanks Accumulator you were 100% correct.
    Likes lloydrm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

jdover- Thanks for posting that! I`m really glad it`s working out so well for you, it sounds just like my experiences with it.

That`s just *GREAT* about the guy who thought it was a "newer old-look" car!

I gotta say it`s really gratifying to hear my advice was beneficial; you`ve made my day.

Post Thanks / Like

jdover:
    How many miles are on your 2008 Subaru Outback? Do you have any mechanical "problems"? Other than the steering wheel and dash Takata airbags recall, any other factory recalls?? Do you have a lot of salt used on VI Canada roads in the winter?

Have owned (past tense) a 2003 Outback with a 185,000 miles on it, they are indeed a "unique" vehicle for year-round driving. Mine needed a ton of mechanical issues fixed that accumulated over time that I chose not to address because they cost more than the value of the car, so I sold it to my sister. She has fixed some of them, the second set of the much-maligned head gaskets being the major one not fixed yet (mine were replaced at 115,000). The body is rusting out in front of the rear door wheel wells, but that is common in Subby`s of that age (17 years) driven year round in Wisconsin due to the copious amount of salt used for 5-month-long winter de-icing. She knows I took pretty good care of it detailing wise and changed the oil regularly with Mobil 1, but it was time for it to go to a good home, and yes, it is difficult to see my X-Subby I enjoyed so much for so long (15 years).

I used Meguiars M16 and NXT, then Collinite 845 Insulator wax and 476S Super Double Coat wax, and lastly 915 Marque D`Elegance wax. Accumulator has not quite gotten me to try FK1000p. Recently, I did buy Klasse All-In-One because it has wide application on so many areas of a vehicle for detailing, especially under the hood and door/rear hatch jams, and interior hard plastic dash panels. The best application is on after-market clear-coated chromed rims or OEM clear-coated aluminum rims.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie- I have just over 10000km which translates to about 62000 miles with absolutely no mechanical problems at all other than the airbag recall. I just got a second recall for the airbags since it seems that the original defective ones were replaced with the same defective airbags????

I am lucky to live on Vancouver Island where the climate is moderate and a salt brine is applied to the roads maybe 2 or 3 times during the winter, it rarely gets below 32F.

I stay on top of regular maintenance, change the oil every six months and also have replaced the timing belt because of its age. Also replaced tires, battery, brakes and rear struts but I think those are normal maintenance. I would certainly buy another Subaru but since I am 74 years old I think this one will outlive me.

You might want to give in to Accumulator and try FK1000p because I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, I`m envious of you Subie owners who don`t get bad ones! Both of mine (bought new and Autopian-pampered) were absolute, utter POS that I`d *REALLY* wanted to love, but simply couldn`t. When they weren`t in the shop (endlessly..even sold the WRX with a CEL lit, the dealer/rep said they couldn`t...I kinda heard "wouldn`t" the way they came across... clear it), they never drove well in bad weather despite being outfitted with the *exact same* tires as the Audis (even the size/purchase date was the same). We`d actually stop en route somewhere, turn around and go back to get a different vehicle to drive instead!

Don`t get me wrong...I think Subaru must make good vehicles. And I really like some of the older ones. But my wife and I have agreed that we`d be idiots to own another after what we went through with both of ours.

(No, we`re not gonna Lemon-Law such stuff. For us, life`s too short to spend on that.)

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie- A quick application of FK1000P over top that KAIO will keep those areas nice for a long, long time

Sorry, couldn`t resist But note that I just applied some 845 to some areas of the `93 Audi last week, and yeah..Collinite makes good stuff too.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Accumulator you have taken away my privacy. After 3 days I put a second coat of Finish Kare 1000p on my lowly old Subaru and once again I was sitting in my car waiting for my wife in the supermarket, right at the back of the parking lot away from other cars, and two people came up to me admiring my car and wanting to know how I kept it looking so good, blah, blah, blah. All I wanted to do was play on my iphone........It`s all your fault!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Be sure to tell folks about this forum when they ask about your car!
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

jdover- Heh heh, you`re almost starting to sound like Yours Truly! Yes indeed...keep repeating: "aw man, this is just my Daily, but OK...be nice and thank the friendly [individual].."

But seriously, it really *is* something, huh?!? That FK really gets people`s attention.

And this discussion brings to mind a certain blue Forester (the original Turbo model) that I see at Denny`s now and then; I`m always complimenting the (even older than me) owner on how nice it is...about as Autopian as I see IRL, nicer than a lot of "concours" cars (scare-quotes richly deserved).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Be sure to tell folks about this forum when they ask about your car!
    Note that...sigh...*NOBODY* ever joins here and says "I know [Accumulator] IRL, and he told me about this site". I *do* tell `em, but I suspect they think it`s a place for "people who are as crazy as ol` [Accumulator]", since I`m somehow considered extreme just for, basically, washing my vehicles properly and waxing them now and then. Sheesh...

Post Thanks / Like

Am I hallucinating or is it true that after I apply a cote of FK1000p it looks great and then when I go into my garage the next day it is WOW!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdover View Post
    Am I hallucinating or is it true that after I apply a cote of FK1000p it looks great and then when I go into my garage the next day it is WOW!
    Heh heh...so you noticed that, huh? You`re not imagining things, it does change (IMO for the better) as it cures. It`s easy to forget that it does that, maybe because it`s a paste that they call a "wax" even though it`s really a sealant (and sealants generally do "cure" rather than just "flash off"/dry). Or at least that`s *my* take on it...Ron Ketcham would know better.

Post Thanks / Like

As posted elsewhere, I am also a committed FK1000p user for 10 years or so, learned from Accumulator. Lasts on my car from October to April/may driving in Northeastern winter. When I can in winter I give it a thorough rinsing, body and especially underneath.

Accumulator, may I please ask... I read that you put KAIO or ZAIO on the bare paint after polishing before 1000p. Do you do so for appearance? Extra endurance for 1000p? Years ago I put Danase Wet Glaze on the bare paint, then added 1000p, loved the look (I still have some DWG LOL). Last 7 years or so I have just been applying 1000p to the bare paint after polishing (gentle car soap washing after polishing). I polish maybe every 2-3 years. For me its a matter of time. I live in an apartment in the city, car parked in an underground garage 50 blocks uptown, no where to wash there. I drive to a car wash out of the city to use a manual wash bay, wash, polish sealant et al. Then drive back to the city. I am helping a friend learn the Accumulator Way on his new CR-V, we drive to the car wash to do his car also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STSInNYC View Post
    Accumulator, may I please ask... I read that you put KAIO or ZAIO on the bare paint after polishing before 1000p. Do you do so for appearance? Extra endurance for 1000p?
    I hardly *ever* do any correction, so it`s mostly just as a Paint Cleaner.

When doing correction on my current vehicles, my Finishing Polish is almost always one of the old (discontinued) 1Z Pro products that leaves synthetic wax behind. And since those products are *SO* gentle (no more aggressive than ZAIO, probably less so but you can`t tell on my paints) that I`ll often use them instead of the (real) AIOs.

Also, I just like how that penultimate step is so utterly *EASY*, absolutely Accumulator-proof and with zero need for stripping of oils/etc. That`s just me though, and as you`ve found the FK isn`t finicky about what`s done to prep for it.

Years ago I put Danase Wet Glaze on the bare paint, then added 1000p, loved the look (I still have some DWG LOL)...
    Gee, I think I still have an unopened bottle of that somewhere, wonder if it`s still any good...

Last 7 years or so I have just been applying 1000p to the bare paint after polishing (gentle car soap washing after polishing)...
    That wouldn`t strip the polishing oils of anything I use (where that`d be a concern). It obviously works for you though, and that`s what counts.

I polish maybe every 2-3 years. For me its a matter of time.
    At least that`s a lot less frequently than some people do it! And not bad at all IMO...being in NYC has gotta be tough on any vehicle!

I live in an apartment in the city, car parked in an underground garage 50 blocks uptown, no where to wash there. I drive to a car wash out of the city to use a manual wash bay, wash, polish sealant et al. Then drive back to the city. I am helping a friend learn the Accumulator Way on his new CR-V, we drive to the car wash to do his car also.
    Gee, you`re really going above-and-beyond, that sounds great...if, uhm...user-intensive! And IMO your friend is in good hands.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using regular polishes, for a while Meguiar`s Paint Cleaner then more recently Mothers Gold Pure Polish, wiping off, then gentle soap washing before applying 1000p. Then another layer of 1000p in a month or so (the car is in the underground garage 90+% of the time, not much sun and weather exposure). Does the Mothers polish leave oils on the paint? Jim at Mother`s says it does not leave anything on the paint. If so I should add the AIO step, Zaino or Klasse or FK 215 or another, looking for ease/speed of use.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information