Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wax & Sealant Longevity Chart

Does anybody know of any charts or spreadsheets that list typical longevity of various waxes and sealants?
    I do realize that many factors will affect how long they last, but it would give a general guideline of what to typically expect.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wax & Sealant Longevity Chart

I’m interested in this thread, I’ve never seen charts that list this but I’lll bet there are a lot of opinions. A product’s durability is such a “Your Mileage May Vary” type thing. That said, I’m the last person in the world to give valuable input on how long a product might last. I do have opinions on some products that just don’t seem to have it. Oddly, almost every time I make a comment along these lines someone tells me it’s either a problem with my prep work or lack thereof or how I’ve applied the product incorrectly. These type of comments just annoy me, I believe that I can prep a car with some of the best (it may take me longer) and I can read and follow a product’s instructions as well as anyone. I usually know when I’ve done something incorrectly.

I honestly never wait to see how long a product might last. I still get a sense of satisfacton when completing a full detail and I like doing it often. I find myself putting something on at least monthly and sometimes more frequently. I’ll be interested in seeing others comments in this thread.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Thanks tropicsteve thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll tell you how long they last... until I top it the next day, lol

but seriously there are way way way too many variables here to provide anything sufficient

come to think of it I`ve always wondered how the manufacturer figures this out.. I mean where is this data? I want to dig into it

Show Me Tha DAAAAATAAA (jerry Maguire) haha

Brandt K.
    Likes trashmanssd, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    I`ll tell you how long they last... until I top it the next day, lol

but seriously there are way way way too many variables here to provide anything sufficient

come to think of it I`ve always wondered how the manufacturer figures this out.. I mean where is this data? I want to dig into it

Show Me Tha DAAAAATAAA (jerry Maguire) haha
    Lol, daily waxing might indicate an obsession Wax & Sealant Longevity Chart

I know there are many many variables, but I believe you can get a general idea. Example - a carnauba wax that lists 4-6 weeks of protection will NOT be made to last 9 months with even the best care and proper prep.

Likes 512detail, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    I’m interested in this thread, I’ve never seen charts that list this but I’lll bet there are a lot of opinions. A products durability is such a “Your Mileage May Vary” type thing. That said, I’m the last person in the world to give valuable input on how long a product might last. I do have opinions on some products that just don’t seem to have it. Oddly, almost every time I make a comment along these lines someone tells me it’s either about my prep work or lack thereof or how I’ve applied the product incorrectly. Those type of comments just annoy me, I believe that I can prep a car with some of the best (it may take me longer) and I can read and follow a product’s instructions as well as anyone.

I honestly never wait to see how long a product might last. I still get that sense of satisfacton of completing a full detail. I find myself putting something on at least monthly and sometimes more frequently. I’ll be interested in seeing others comments in this thread.
    I agree, it`s annoying when people go right to bad prep. I think that if it sits in the garage or not, Temps, sun (location), etc. has the most to do with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VETLAG View Post
    Lol, daily waxing might indicate an obsession Wax & Sealant Longevity Chart

I never said I didn`t have a problem

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post

I never said I didn`t have a problem
    Hahaha I love it!!!

Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

512detail is the master waxwstr lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VETLAG View Post
    Lol, daily waxing might indicate an obsession..
    Seriously....

I know there are many many variables, but I believe you can get a general idea. Example - a carnauba wax that lists 4-6 weeks of protection will NOT be made to last 9 months with even the best care and proper prep..
    Ya know how I`m always saying how my Souveran needs redone after every other wash? Well, OTOH, with the Jag stored indoors, in relatively climate-controlled conditions (seldom over 90°F), the same Souveran was just fine after years. Doesn`t seem to degrade at all, even if I do usually refresh it anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Seriously....

Ya know how I`m always saying how my Souveran needs redone after every other wash? Well, OTOH, with the Jag stored indoors, in relatively climate-controlled conditions (seldom over 90°F), the same Souveran was just fine after years. Doesn`t seem to degrade at all, even if I do usually refresh it anyhow.
    Ok, you got me there... I meant on a daily driver Wax & Sealant Longevity Chart

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to get any real numbers, especially around here. Most Autopians park their car in a garage. If you park in a garage, you can`t give an accurate number. I`ve had stuff last YEARS on cars that were parked in a garage but still driven 5k a year. Then there is environment and washing technique. Prep plays somewhat into it, some stuff just does not bond well to other stuff. I had FK1000P fail on me in less than a month when I applied it over Last Touch QD. I think the best we can really do is compare how long a product lasts relative to another, in your personal situation. For me the longest lasting stuff other than a coating is Collinite*. I`ve had stuff bead water for longer than Collinite, but it was just water beading, no real protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to show how different experiences can be, I have ~4 month old FK on my car topped with a light coat of Mckees Extender spray wax about 2-3 weeks ago. Beading was still good on the FK, and the car blew itself dry on the way to work this morning after exhibiting great beading behavior after the rain washed the dust/dirt off. Then that begs the question... was it really the FK? or was it the 2-3 week old spray wax? or a combo of the two?

However, FK on my wife`s car wouldn`t last a month. Having better luck with McKees Hydro Blue on that one.

No easy answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Hard to get any real numbers, especially around here. Most Autopians park their car in a garage. If you park in a garage, you can`t give an accurate number. I`ve had stuff last YEARS on cars that were parked in a garage but still driven 5k a year. Then there is environment and washing technique. Prep plays somewhat into it, some stuff just does not bond well to other stuff. I had FK1000P fail on me in less than a month when I applied it over Last Touch QD. I think the best we can really do is compare how long a product lasts relative to another, in your personal situation. For me the longest lasting stuff other than a coating is Collinite*. I`ve had stuff bead water for longer than Collinite, but it was just water beading, no real protection.

Post Thanks / Like

In your case I`d say the extender, but you bring up a great point, some people post durations while using an extending product on top. I can get a couple of months out of OCW by itself. Same thing irks me about coatings and the "extender" sprays. Sorry, not interested in your coating if you require that.
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dan, just to clarify - I was responding to the OP while quoting your post as a counter-point. I re-read my post and it sounded like I was maybe trying to debate you. No such thing - I was really trying to prove your point on a million different factors being involved in longevity.

Sorry if it came off different.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, I think the extender spray waxes/sealants we use play a huge role. That`s actually why I`m watching the Sealant and AOI tests that Cruz and RippyD have going, I`m curious how long they last with no added sprays.

Again, I know that there`s no guarantee that 1 person will achieve exactly the same length of time as another. I just started this looking for a "general" guideline like "xxx wax typically only lasts 1 - 2 months but produces a deep gloss" and "zzz sealant typically lasts 6 - 9 months but doesn`t have as deep of a gloss/wet look" etc...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information