Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wax & Sealant Longevity Chart

Since we`re discussing it, I`ve been using some kind of leaves-stuff-behind Drying Aid for the last few years, so to some extent that undoubtedly factors in to *some of* my durability claims for certain products (I never used Drying Aids with KSG and did not initially use them with FK1000P, used them for maybe 5% of the times I used Collinite).

But those Drying Aids, used by themselves, don`t last long, and with LSPs that I`ve used both with/without the Drying Aids, I`ve often thought that the *look* benefited more than the durability or other characteristics.

No Drying Aid (or other LSP) I`ve ever used can resist etching like FK1000P/KSGx6 so I don`t consider the Drying Aids as contributing to any real protection as I define it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickclark08 View Post
    Dan, just to clarify - I was responding to the OP while quoting your post as a counter-point. I re-read my post and it sounded like I was maybe trying to debate you. No such thing - I was really trying to prove your point on a million different factors being involved in longevity.

Sorry if it came off different.
    Not at all, I was just piling on to my frustration with some people`s tests. You`re absolutely right, there are so many factors involved and few controls.

Post Thanks / Like

When I lived at 7,000 feet had to park my truck outside due to lack of garage space. I tried just about every wax on the market and none lasted more than 3 months. But one of my cars that spent time in the garage when it was not being driven still beaded water a year later.
    IMO the sun (UV rays), or lack of it, is the most important factor to wax longevity.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, there are way too many variables to give exact numbers ... but also realize there is a difference between a wax`s shine vs it`s protection.

Waxes will vary as to their content and of what "makes" the shine .. the natural oils in the carnauba will fade and can hasten depending on the

environment the vehicle is parked or driven under.

You will lose your "look" but the protection will remain quite a bit longer until you wash it many times or polish it off .. it does not evaporate into thin air.

years ago i waxed my grandfather`s Buick , he became ill and stopped driving ... the car sat outside under tree for over a year and when washed it looked as good as it did initially.

Washing , maintenance with drying aids , or QD`s .. are ALL abrasive to the LSP. and will reduce longevity.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com
    Likes JHL88 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This Guy in England has some interesting comparisons between waxes and products, whilst not a chart as such he has done some good youtube videos, not sure whether many on here have come across him, he is not for profit nor tied to manufacturers as link below -

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...nsic+detailing

Post Thanks / Like

I think that there is a detailer interpretation between what someone considers a wax and what is a sealant and what is a hybrid-combination of the two. In effect, ALL waxes are a combination of chemicals that allow them to be "pliable" and some are combined with sealant-like chemicals to add environmental protection and longevity to them. Two waxes stand out in this category to me: Collinite 476S and Finish-Kare`s FK1000P Hi-Temp wax. These two (hybrid) waxes are Autopia forum favorites and used by many for winter-driven vehicles because of their protection and longevity characteristics and the fact that they are easy to apply and relatively inexpensive as last-step products (LSPs) go.

One variable that seems to go unnoticed on longevity is the type of paint and the color of the paint on a vehicle. A single-stage paint is really bare paint that will fade over time because of its exposure to UV rays. A dark-colored paint will generate more heat that is detrimental to the life-expectancy (longevity) of a wax. Most manufacturers use water-based paints for assembly-line production (Original Equipment of Manufacturer or OEM paint) because of environmental emission compliancy laws that are "different" than custom paint shops that may use solvent-based paints. An old lacquer finish is much different than a modern acrylic paint. My point is that paint type and color is another variable in LSP (sealant, wax, or coating) longevity.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

My `85 Jag (ss lacquer) spends years and years stored indoors. Even though I use Souveran on it, it stays nicely waxed, which surprises me given the general nature of old-school lacquer *NOT* because it`s merely wearing a Beauty Wax.

I`d be utterly astounded if my FK1000P`ed vehicles didn`t stay just-waxed through years of indoor storage.

Wonder how the S8 will clean up..it`s been mothballed for over two years, indoors, with UPP on it. Won`t surprise me if that one needs completely redone, guess that`d be an excuse to FK it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information