Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does a sealant really offer any paint protection for a car always outside?

Quote Originally Posted by pwaug View Post
    Dan--are DG501 and ZAIO really true AIO`s since it`s my understanding they don`t include abrasives like HD Speed or McKees 360 as examples? So wouldn`t 501 and ZAIO be considered cleaner waxes?
    I`ll jump in here regarding the ZAIO. It *does* contain mild abrasives, but they`re kinda, uhm...funny...in that although they`re too mild to do any kind of correction on any of my paints, when I use ZAIO on exterior plastics (the same ones I use Finishing Polishes and other AIOs on with zero problems) it micro-mars them something awful! Like, I have to get out a genuine Polish and correct what the ZAIO did! Really surprised me, heh heh I kept trying it on other plastics because I thought it was so anomalous, but eh...messed `em all up every time (at least compared to my other choices for such plastics).

IMO the whole "cleaner-wax"/"AIO"/etc. terminology ends up being, uhm...subjective in that those words can basically mean whatever we want `em to. Some actual Cleaner-Waxes do/did contain what I consider "regular abrasives" and to me the only real diff between Cleaner-Waxes and AIOs is that the latter have synthetic LSP stuff while *I* think of Cleaner-Waxes as having (carnauba-type) waxes instead. And note that the makers use such terms however they want anyhow, with zero consistency nor, sometimes, apparent rhyme or reason.

Dan- Wonder why ZAIO doesn`t clear up anything for me?!? Not like *all* my paints are hard, though none of `em are Stupid Soft either.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if there isn`t some batch variation going on? For me it really perks up hard German paints and works even better on softer paint. Could be pads too, I get better luck with megs yellow than lake white.

Post Thanks / Like

Huh...maybe I did somehow get an odd batch; if not for some pigment transfer if I use it on single stage or basecoat, and the way it marred up my plastics, I woulda said that the ZAIO is one of those "functionally non-abrasive" ones where it might contain "abrasives" but rather than being enough to actually *abrade* anything they just make it easier to buff the stuff off once it`s dried.

Anyhoo...I really do like it as a prep for FK1000P, so much so that I plan to always have some on the shelf. But then I plan to always have Klasse`s AIO around too..

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I can say that the Zaino line wasn`t designed for single stage paint. They did have a particular product just for single stage years ago but I`m not sure if it`s still made. I also wouldn`t use ZAIO on bare plastics. I`d try their tire dressing instead.

Post Thanks / Like

wannafbody- Hey, great to see you posting here!

I simply love their (old version of) Z16 for tires, saving up my last bottles of it for the good cars. BUT I`d never use any kind of dressing on exterior plastics. Not ever..just prefer the LSP-based approach every time. Sometimes the Klasse Twins, sometimes KAIO topped with FK1000P or some other straight wax (Souveran is nice), maybe Ultima`s UTTG+, or even just a spray wax. But it`s always some kind of LSP or Trim Sealant these days.

Only Slime product I use for anything but tires is Autoglym Bumper Care on the Tahoe`s side-steps/running boards, put it on both the aluminum parts and the plastic steps. I don`t even like doing that but it`s the only thing that makes/keeps the utterly compromised surfaces looking nice. At least it`s rain-proof, dries "clean and dry", and lasts until the next wash (which might be a long, long time).

Kinda funny how many surfaces I`m using that Ultima TTG+ on...never used it on tires though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information