Post Thanks / Like

Wax to prevent dust accumulation

The last 2 miles to my house is on a dusty dirt road. Needless to say, keeping a car clean is difficult. It actually stays cleaner in the winter with snow on the ground.

This could be hoping for too much but is there a wax that I could put on my cars that would repel dust? I use a cordless leaf blower to get the heavy accumulations of dust off when I get home but there is still dust. Also, any tire treatments available to do the same thing?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wax to prevent dust accumulation

You`ll either want a coating or something that contains absolutely no oils like KSG or FK1000P. A micron thick coat of wax or whatever isn`t going to repel anything except in someone`s dreams. A "dry" sealant or coating will not leave the dust anything to stick to. Also avoid QDs as most are oil/silicone rich.

Post Thanks / Like

Finish Kare`s FK1000P Hi-Temp (hybrid) wax and their Anti-static wipe spray detailer are about the only car-care chemicals I know of that have these anti-static properties.
    Waxing with any carnauba wax is like a dust magnet.

I could be facetious and suggest moving, but a more-friendly and agreeable suggestion would be to just live with it and develop a car-friendly wash routine. Dirt and sand, depending on the mineral make-up in your particular locale, will determine the abrasiveness of that debris and the amount of swirls you may induce by washing, despite using Autopian-approved techniques and washing equipment. A low-pressure pre-wash may be a good start just to remove embedded dirt and sand, especially in wheel wheels. If you live in an area that has some of clay (like Georgia or Vermont) you may need to invest in a motor-driven high- pressure washer. Removing clay "clumps" from tire rims is an absolute must so not to cause vibrating the car to pieces at highway speeds due to wheel imbalance! I only say this because in Northeast Wisconsin, sleet or wet snow followed by an Artic sub-zero cold front will do the same thing. Yes, I`ve chiseled/hammered off ice chunks. Not fun when it`s -15°F actual ambient temperature. Which is WHY rims need to waxed with something for winter use (my choice is Collinite 845 Insulator Wax; most would use Finish Kare`s FK1000P Hi-Temp Wax). Slushy snow does not stick (as much)!
    GB detailer
    Likes Civicclutch, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Thanks Civicclutch thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

krivboom- Welcome to Autopia!

While I never really experienced the presumed anti-static effect from FK425, I *do* think that FK1000P (and to a lesser extent Klasse Sealant Glaze) attracts/retains less dust than most of my other LSPs and that using Garry Dean`s Infinite use Detailing Juice ("IUDJ") as my Drying Aid might help a little too (moreso than I think the Fk425 does for some reason).

Note that the FK425 *does* definitely does NOT retain dust/dirt the way many QDs do.

And yeah, I`d use one of those on it, probably the FK1000P as it requires fewer coats (to be effective long-term) than the KSG.

Never had great results trying to blow dust off, though the compressor (at >100psi) does better than the leaf blower for my AirWand.

Post Thanks / Like

There is some product out there that claims to "repel" dust, etc. I own it, I just can remember which product it is. It did offer some minor benefit, but not a silver bullet.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

Kriv, one other thing, would using an electric blower to blow the dust off buy you anything? I do that sometimes and it`s certainly a benefit.
    Cars: bringing people together

Thread Information