Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Meg`s #16 Prices !

I am kicking myself now for not buying up the several boxes that were available to me back in 2004 thinking that the dozen or so tins that I have was enough ...LoL
    About 4-5 years back I thought they were crazy selling at $49.99usd a tin on eBay, today I barely see one or two sellers on eBay selling for $90usd+ !
    Meguiars #16 Paste wax | eBay

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meg`s #16 Prices !

I have a pretty much brand new can sitting on my shelf.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p

Post Thanks / Like

I can not understand who would spend so much money on M16.
    Is it that much better than other waxes like Collinite 915 476 etc?
    Besides, I believe M16 is still available at my Meguiars distributor.
    Hello!
    My name is Dennis!

Post Thanks / Like

M16 Professional Paste Wax is very much an old-school hard paste wax. it`s sale (and I believe production) in the USA was stopped by EPA VOC (volatile organic compounds) non-compliance regulations (Thanks to Senator/VP Al Gore`s environmental legislation) in about 2005.
    It does provide an very "nice" glowing carnauba shine for the early 2000`s price of about $12.00 per a tin. I like it for single stage paints, but alas, my remaining tin is almost gone. A tin (11 oz/312 gm) will do at least 20 cars, even for a novice who applies it like putty, and if you are more "judicious" in it application, I am sure you could get 30 cars out of. It comes off pretty easy as long as you do not wait forever to let it dry or apply it the sun (a big no-no). It has a distinct odor, which everyone who has used it describes it as a light blue Crayola crayon. Longevity is about 2-3 months, depending on environmental conditions where the vehicle is. Yes, it does have that characteristic carnauba water beading, although not as "tight" as Collinite 467S.

Is it worth having today or adding it to one`s collection for about $30 a tin IF you can get someone to part with it?? I like Collinite 915 if I am going to wax a vehicle; lasts longer and has that characteristic tight water beading that EVERYONE thinks means your paint is protected (don`t even go there!;, that`s another thread topic that has been discussed ad nauseam in this forum) If a person has a collector`s 70`s or 80`s vehicle with single stage paint and I wanted an era-correct look to it for a car show, then yes, I would definitely have some M16 in my arsenal.

One other application for M16 was lacquer finishes on guitars. Do not laugh!. It made any guitar, electric or acoustic, painted or cleared with lacquer shine like the sun. It`s great for that application alone to have in your wax stash! (Come to think of it, that`s how Jescar got started, They reformulate Menzerna polishes for use on guitar finishes)
    GB detailer
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 tins, never use em. I coat everything or hit it PA high gloss or cosmic, easier, stronger and better looking.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PPLd View Post
    I can not understand who would spend so much money on M16.
    Is it that much better than other waxes like Collinite 915 476 etc?
    Besides, I believe M16 is still available at my Meguiars distributor.
    It`s not about if the product is better and worse than the current offerings. From my experience it is just as good as Collinite 476S and little harder to apply and take off with a warmer look. The appeal of this product is it`s American heritage, imagine someone who was growing up in the 50`s and 60`s watching it`s owner waxing his muscle car with a tin of Meg`s #16 to the tunes of The Beach Boys. To be fair you cannot say a vintage muscle car is better or worse than today`s high tech offerings can you ?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it`s time for me to relist mine on ebay. Never got much traction before...I think the last tin I sold was to JustJesus...can`t recall right offhand what I charged him for it. Can`t remember what I paid for it either..bought a case before the VOC regs kicked in.

Right for you?

Eh, who knows...IMO it`s a rather "bright, reflective" wax that has "limited depth and jetting". But that sort of thing is so subjective... Until it ages a bit it *DOES* do the self-cleaning in rain thing really well, and it`s still the Real LSP I use on my wife`s Audi when not just OCWing it. But that`s partly just familiarity, I`ve been around M16 literally my whole life, my mother and her sister were using it before I was born.

Thin THIN *THIN* and don`t miss any areas when buffing off the residue or you`ll REALLY regret it. Keep it off trim. One tin oughta last most anybody over a decade. Applies nicely via machine, and a tiny spritz of certain QDs (e.g. GG SpeedShine) used in what I term a "pseudo-spitshine" method can yield a little gloss upgrade and even more spherical beading.
    Likes danlc95 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have half a tin left and I cherish more than any detailing thing I have and I don`t know why. I guess its like having a Babe Ruth rookie card, rare, not everyone has it and cool to show off if you do! same thing goes for my Batch 24 I believe, Midnight Sun from Way back
    The name`s Chris! Hi! - Chris` Auto Detailing, Pasadena, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EdLancer View Post
    From my experience it is just as good as Collinite 476S and little harder to apply and take off with a warmer look..
    SEE how that subjective thing works out?!? I never thought of it as a "warm" look myself, and/but my 476S lasts longer and protects better. Sure not slamming the M16 (heh heh, especially since I`d like to sell mine), just relating my take on it.

Back in the days of all paint being ss, M16 was simply *NOT* the top choice for colors like black...stuff that was even harder to use, and I mean a *LOT* harder, won out in the looks dept. on dark colors.

Heh heh, we think of such paste waxes as being a bit of a PIA to use, but my mother/aunt liked M16 because they found it so *easy* to use compared to other waxes...how times change.

Post Thanks / Like

I have three cans, but haven`t used then yet. I usually use M26, or Zymol Creame for wax.

That`s only for the family cars. I use sealants on customer cars unless a hand applied paste wax (m26) is requested.

Post Thanks / Like

If somebody wants a tin cheap, send me a PM. Nothing wrong with it, I believe I`ve only done one car. I went a little crazy accumulating waxes and sealants a few years ago, having over 30 tins and bottles on my shelves. My El Camino can only use up so much wax and I`ve gone with sealants or coatings on the newer DD`s. It`s time to thin the herd a bit.

Bill
    Likes NLove liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I love posting this pic! I got a bunch when they were on eBay for $5 like 10 years ago.

$90 a tin, you say?

Likes Ronkh, NLove liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

craigdt- Heh heh, refrigerated no less

Post Thanks / Like

$90 if you just want to list it for that and not sell it. I guess you won`t get $90 for it if you don`t try.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    $90 if you just want to list it for that and not sell it. I guess you won`t get $90 for it if you don`t try.
    The sold well for $50 about 5 years ago, I made a mint ! ...heh
    These type of people will buy it no sweat !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information