Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

sealant/coating??

good morning!

I just got a new black car. I, for better or worse, got it "new car" detailed

Professional Detailing packages for Massachuesetts and New Hampshire cost $350

car looks very nice. I asked him what he did. he said an "entry level" sealant or coating, likely last 6 months or more. in new England, hot summers, and lots of salt in the winters. pretty tough here.

I said why not use a "top level" sealant. he said that costs $1200. wow.

from my reading, I think I buy the concept that waxes DO NOT LAST. he said do NOT use a car wash that touches the car, only hand wash and touch free washes. I also read, that touch free washes use harsh chemicals that can strip waxes.

OK- I want this black car to look GREAT for 3 years, at which point I get another car. car is garaged at work and at home, drive 10,000 miles a year.

1. should I get the $350 detail twice a year?
    2. how often should I hand wash.
    3. should I get the $1200 sealant? he says then they touch it up for $80 about once a year.

I would welcome ANY hints and advice! I love black cars, but they show every swirl and pollen and salt and dirt!! stupid me!! car has no swirls yet.

thank you
    bob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: sealant/coating??

to follow up. I AM absolutely willing to do the "sealant/coating" myself in my garage. thank you .bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobwax View Post
    to follow up. I AM absolutely willing to do the "sealant/coating" myself in my garage. thank you .bob

Bobwax, really not sure what your asking. Your first post implies that you got it detailed for $350, or are you asking if you should?

Post Thanks / Like

thank you! I DID get it detailed for $350. now I want to know how often, and WHAT to do. totally willing to do sealant/coating in my garage. I DO have a random orbital

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Out of curiosity, where are you in the area?

What exactly did he use as the top layer? Coating or Synthetic Wax? That will really decide. If he used a Coating, you will have to go back more frequently unless you get the equipment. If he used a Synthetic Wax (FK1000p is my choice), then you will be able to reapply say every 5 months(ish).

Do research on two bucket method, wash mitts, Meguire`s Gold Class Wash, Waffle Weave Microfiber, Electric Leaf Blower for after rinse but prior to towel...

Post Thanks / Like

I would buy a DA polisher, polish twice a year (spring/fall), handwash when weather appropriate and use a sealant 3-4 times a year.

You can buy a great Griots Garage or Porter Cable DA polisher, all the pads, polishes, sealants and towels all for under $350. If you take your time and watch some of Mike Phillip`s "how to" videos your car will look new for three years.
    Likes Van185, VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

thank you! I DID get it detailed for $350. now I want to know how often, and WHAT to do. totally willing to do sealant/coating in my garage. I DO have a random orbital

thanks
    missed the part about you having a DA polisher. This is a "DIY type forum", go for it

My favorite sealant is Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant:

Link
    BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection, paint sealant, synthetic sealant, blackfire sealant

Post Thanks / Like

good morning!

I just got a new black car. I, for better or worse, got it "new car" detailed

Professional Detailing packages for Massachuesetts and New Hampshire cost $350

car looks very nice. I asked him what he did. he said an "entry level" sealant or coating, likely last 6 months or more. in new England, hot summers, and lots of salt in the winters. pretty tough here.

I said why not use a "top level" sealant. he said that costs $1200. wow.

from my reading, I think I buy the concept that waxes DO NOT LAST. he said do NOT use a car wash that touches the car, only hand wash and touch free washes. I also read, that touch free washes use harsh chemicals that can strip waxes.

OK- I want this black car to look GREAT for 3 years, at which point I get another car. car is garaged at work and at home, drive 10,000 miles a year.

1. should I get the $350 detail twice a year?
    2. how often should I hand wash.
    3. should I get the $1200 sealant? he says then they touch it up for $80 about once a year.

I would welcome ANY hints and advice! I love black cars, but they show every swirl and pollen and salt and dirt!! stupid me!! car has no swirls yet.

thank you
    bob
    First off, Jim`s no slouch.... I would ask him what product he used to seal/coat your car, and from there I *may* (or may not depending on what it was) go with the "same family" of products to care for it, till it`s ready to be done again.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    First off, Jim`s no slouch....
    That`s one firm expression of approval from somebody I`d deem credible. Glad to hear it. Yeah, first step would be to talk with him about it (in detail, no pun intended ).

Bobwax- IMO washing it without marring the paint will be the big challenge. If you mar the paint you`ll be having it Pro Detailed sooner rather than later.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks all! I am familiar, at least to a degree with polishing, etc. I DO have 2 buckets with grit guards, and I think can do a pretty safe 2 bucket wash. I can get the meguiars gold class wash you recommended. I bought a wash mitt that Jims auto said is quite safe, and a synthetic chamois likewise. he said NOT to dry too hard, or dry a surface already dry, just blot up if there is a puddle of water on the car. rubbing a dry car is bad, he says.

I may say he really is nice and seems to know his stuff.
    I feel comfortable WASHING and DRYING but not comfortable POLISHING a black car. I really want this car to look nice. it is garaged at home, and at work. I DO drive it all year, tough winters here!

if you polish the car, does that remove the sealant/coating? seems like it would.

thanks guys! keep the ideas coming. bob

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to keep it nice take it to your guy twice a year and let him do his magic. If you are a DIY guy read through some stuff here and Autogeek and start learning. You already have a RO polisher. Ask your Detailer to help you learn if he has time.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

thanks all! I am familiar, at least to a degree with polishing, etc. I DO have 2 buckets with grit guards, and I think can do a pretty safe 2 bucket wash. I can get the meguiars gold class wash you recommended. I bought a wash mitt that Jims auto said is quite safe, and a synthetic chamois likewise. he said NOT to dry too hard, or dry a surface already dry, just blot up if there is a puddle of water on the car. rubbing a dry car is bad, he says.

I may say he really is nice and seems to know his stuff.
    I feel comfortable WASHING and DRYING but not comfortable POLISHING a black car. I really want this car to look nice. it is garaged at home, and at work. I DO drive it all year, tough winters here!

if you polish the car, does that remove the sealant/coating? seems like it would.

thanks guys! keep the ideas coming. bob

If you do a good 2 bucket, electric leaf blower, then blot, you should not be needing to polish the car any more than once every 1-2 years IMO, but life happens and I have a garage. I`m not sure if I`m capable of just blotting.... I`ll have to try.

But I don`t know if he used a coating or synthetic wax. I use a synthetic wax (fk1000p) that I can do when needed, and quickly, and lasts 5-6 months. I plan on not polishing the car frequently, rather use Poor Boys Black Hole Glaze and top with FK1000p when needed.

There`s only so much clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like

I am no pro by any means but I seen the words "synthetic chamois". If you are referring to something like The Absorber don`t use it. I had one for years but it was used on lighter colored vehicle that I owned and the marring it left wasn`t noticeable on them but when I bought my black car I used it and think it added marring. I know they are meant to be laid on the paint or car and dragged across while they soak up the water but the one I had seemed to drag with a lot of resistance when trying to soak up the water. I bought some waffle weave towels and they are a big improvement.

My only other recommendation is don`t use a duster. I bought and used a California Duster, the cheaper version with the plastic handle, and for the life of me I couldn`t figure out what was causing the tiny swirls mark or micro marring. I was dusting the car when I come home from work and noticed the way I was wiping the dust off with it left the same pattern as the marring. I stopped dusting and what an improvement. I haven`t polished my car in 3 years now, it could have used it last fall but weather got cold my free weekends. I will get to it one of the upcoming weekends and possibly even this weekend.

Hope this helps.
    Dean.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

thanks skibik! will stick to my waffle weave. it seems like a black car is another animal entirely! when they are swirl free and shined up, they look great! I think my goal is to do as little to the paint as possible.bob

Post Thanks / Like

Jim used an entry level coating which he said is still a very good coating. I really think he is an old pro.

bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information