Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: sealant/coating??

Quote Originally Posted by Bobwax View Post
    thanks skibik! will stick to my waffle weave. it seems like a black car is another animal entirely! when they are swirl free and shined up, they look great! I think my goal is to do as little to the paint as possible.bob
    You`re Welcome. I never owned black before and was told by some how hard they are to keep clean. My intentions weren`t to buy black but when I traveled 360 miles to look at another car that wasn`t available at that dealer I traveled over to the dealer that had this black Camaro and after some dealing and thoughts running through my head about black I thought "how bad could it be"? Well as they say hindsight is 20/20! Sure looks great when they get washed stays somewhat clean parked in the garage but 15 minutes at my work place with spotter semi`s moving trailers around stirring up the dust off the pavement it looks lousy by 9 am break. I have vowed the words "I will never buy black again".

Good luck with the vehicle.
    Dean.
    Likes trashmanssd, VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skibik View Post
    I have vowed the words "I will never buy black again".

Good luck with the vehicle.
    That`s what I said too after owning two previous black cars, and now here I am with another black Camaro. I just learned to repeat the phrase "It`s JUST a Daily Driver, It`s JUST a Daily Driver ... "
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Likes Tc99m, trashmanssd, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Thanks trashmanssd, VitreousHumor thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Bobwax,
    First off, you said you got a coating ? That`s sounds like you found what you needed.
    Second, I have a new black Malibu, that has been just a blast detailing, and learning as I go.
    The paint gets swirls just driving it ! Things I learned with this black paint I never would
    have understood on any other color.
    Third, If you do try to DIY. Shop for the best products you can afford and research everything.
    I `ve only been in for a couple years and all my beginner`s products are gone, won`t use them.
    I found the big name brands are trusted for a reason.
    Rupes
    Flex
    Griot`s
    Poorboy`s world
    Polish Angel
    Blackfire
    Pinnacle
    Wolfgang
    Scholl Concepts
    Carpro
    Dodo juice
    Waxaddict
    I`m sure others could add more, but these are some favorites
    of mine. Good luck and keep a postin`

Likes VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mary, don, and skibik!

BLACK CARS RULE!!!! i love it. my wife thinks i am nuts, (nothing new) for constantly washing it in my garage. my friend especially is ragging me about washing it! when clean, it looks GREAT. my plan so far, NO car washes, ever. hand wash in my garage, optimum no rinse. and blot carefully with waffle weave towels. i will have the pro apply the coating as needed. he said that a lot of the damage on black cars can be traced to
    1. car washes of ANY type.
    2. vigorous drying with a towel over areas already dry. do not dry a dry car. he really emphasized this. improper washing and drying are WORSE than doing nothing.

black cars rule! my first black one ever, i love it. this will get tough in winter, lots of snow and salt on roads here.

best regards, Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Bobwax, I have an `entry level` coating on my cars. I`ve had great results using Gyeon Cure as a Sio2 maintenance product. Simple to use. 10 minutes of time after a wash. Can even be used as a drying aid. It keeps the coating fresh.
    Likes Ronkh, VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

thank you glfnaz! i will look Gyeon Cure! have a great day! bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobwax View Post
    this will get tough in winter, lots of snow and salt on roads here.

best regards, Bob
    The "tough" part of having a black car in winter is knowing when NOT to wash the car (which is more often to occur that chances TO wash the car). Your best friend will be the pressure washers at the self-service car washes (hose it down good to get the major junk off, then leave it alone).
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

thanks all! I only hand washed my car since the summer. had Jims auto detail it Monday. he did a careful hand wash, found that the coating was good, and applied a "gloss enhancer" whatever that is. CAR LOOKS AMAZING.

he said come back in spring, and they will see what it needs next. so far, I would say a coating is WAY better than any wax I ever tried.

have a great thanksgiving and eat too much!
    best,
    bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    The "tough" part of having a black car in winter is knowing when NOT to wash the car (which is more often to occur that chances TO wash the car). Your best friend will be the pressure washers at the self-service car washes (hose it down good to get the major junk off, then leave it alone).
    Pretty much what he said. In NE Ohio, just have to accept that during winter your car will, for the most part, not look great if daily driver. My daily driver is black, 70 mile round-trip commute each day and even thought it`s coated to the gills, it`s not gonna look good during winter; salt, brine, road spray...just nothing you can do about it.

That said, the coating is still gonna be doing it`s job under all the grime. If we don`t get a reasonably nice day where I can hand wash in a given month, I will roll it through the local touchless, soap and rinse only, just to get some of the nastiness off it. Tough to resist the urge to `clean it up` during the nasty months but better dirty than scratched and coating makes for pretty easy cleanup in the Spring.

How to maintain coated car vid just showed up in a feed yesterday:
    https://youtu.be/gTZF1nHoAIg

Post Thanks / Like

THANK YOU budget plan! I am from NE ohio, we get pretty good winters here in Mass., also!
    have a great thanksgiving! bob
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information