Post Thanks / Like

Question about FK1000P name

I`m a bit puzzled and maybe one of y`all can enlighten me.

This is FK 1000P
    Question about FK1000P name-img_1315.jpg

This is FK BWM101
    Question about FK1000P name-img_1316.gif

Why the name swap?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about FK1000P name

FK1000P was created as a mold release product for manufacturing processes before someone had the bright idea to use it as a synthetic car wax. It`s the same stuff in a different tin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by `PRND[S
    ;2111235`]FK1000P was created as a mold release product for manufacturing processes before someone had the bright idea to use it as a synthetic car wax. It`s the same stuff in a different tin.
    I`m familiar with the mold release 1000P and the boat wax BWM101 it`s just strange than the entire auto detailing world uses the wrong name for a product.

I called Finish Kare a few minutes ago and asked them if they had any idea why the names were mixed up. They had no idea.
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

IIRC, FK1000P was developed specifically as a competitor to M16, the Black Sheep of the Family`s way of sticking it to them. IIRC, it was possibly M16 that was originally developed as an early version of Meg`s Mold Release Wax before it was marketed as a Car Wax in the late `50s.

For the straight story, I`m certain that Ketch would know whether I`m misremembering about the FK (he worked with Floyd and is probably where I heard about the M16 competitor bit), and Mike would probably know about the M16.
    Likes Boden liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Boden- Sounds like there`s been a passing of generations at FK, used to be plenty of people there who worked directly with Floyd...who certainly, uhm....went his own way all through his life.

For one thing, Floyd *LOVED* the "part number" product designations, and *hated* the idea of names like "Great White"/etc.
    Likes Boden liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Boden- Sounds like there`s been a passing of generations at FK, used to be plenty of people there who worked directly with Floyd...who certainly, uhm....went his own way all through his life.

For one thing, Floyd *LOVED* the "part number" product designations, and *hated* the idea of names like "Great White"/etc.
    I`m sure that`s an interesting story about competing products. I would love to hear that story.

I`m curious why in the auto "world" BWM101 is called 1000P? It took me a while to notice. In the boat world BWM101 aka hi-temp paste wax is called by the correct name. In the mold making world 1000P aka hi-low is also correctly used.

Just seems strange that the mistake is so ````genized across car people.

edit: the forum is screwing up the word ````genized.

As in ````genized milk

Post Thanks / Like

Boden- Short version: Floyd Meguiar was the Black Sheep of the Meguiar family and was gonna show `em a thing or two. Which, in his mind at least, he did.

Heh heh, IMO there isn`t really a "correct"/not name for the stuff, it`s called whatever whomever is calling it in whatever context. Ya could go nuts trying to formalize it

Floyd liked "FK1000p" and that what he wanted it called, regardless of the application. E.g., that "Big White, Marine" was a marketing idea that took hold a lot more firmly once he passed. I got the feeling FK thought they`d sell a lot more of it for boats than they were selling for cars.

Eh...I never really quizzed Ron K. about the whole thing, and I generally didn`t broach the subject of FK/Meguiar rivalry as Ron was at AutoInt/ValuGard by the time I got to know him... and I try to avoid such stuff anyhow. Floyd was a, uhm...different...sort of guy from what I gather and much as I tend to esteem him I take it he wasn`t the easiest boss to get along with.

Who knows, maybe Ron`ll see this thread...he doesn`t post here any more but does occasionally take a peek. I`m not gonna bug him about it, if only because I feel guilty about not keeping in touch better
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Thanks Boden thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Forum automatically blocks the first four letters of that word (even when used in a "normal" word) for slur prevention.

Quote Originally Posted by Boden View Post
    I`m sure that`s an interesting story about competing products. I would love to hear that story.

I`m curious why in the auto "world" BWM101 is called 1000P? It took me a while to notice. In the boat world BWM101 aka hi-temp paste wax is called by the correct name. In the mold making world 1000P aka hi-low is also correctly used.

Just seems strange that the mistake is so ````genized across car people.

edit: the forum is screwing up the word ````genized.

As in ````genized milk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickclark08 View Post
    Forum automatically blocks the first four letters of that word (even when used in a "normal" word) for slur prevention.
    Get me going about that kind of PC [stuff], and yeah I have plenty of G.A.Y. friends and acquaintances who think I`m at least sensitive enough to the feelings of others ("at least" because I sure do err on the side of bleeding-heart caution). There oughta be a simple "IF [other characters] follow THEN not-slur" type test in the code for such stuff...

Thread Information