Page 1 of 26 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

FK1000p Beginner questions

The product description says this has UV protection, considering how thin asian factory clear coats are along with giving the top
    a cut & polish with D/A. Would the FK1000p UV protection help much? Or is it just an exaggeration? Some reviews say this stuff is like an extra clear coat.

After reading a couple of online reviews, I`m trying to decide whether one coat is all thats needed or if 2-3 is really better?
    More coats sound like longer lasting protecive film, but not really sure if this is true.

And is letting the haze sit on the paint over night then buffing off of any real benefit vs just buffing off shortly after it hazes over?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FK1000p Beginner questions

One is good, three is surely better

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator should be along in 3... 2... 1...

Post Thanks / Like

It`s pretty awesome stuff, short of a coating. Self cleaning, durability, and protection against bug and bird etching are its strong suits.

Accumulator should post shortly, but here`s my short take:

make sure your paint surface is prepped (clayed and polished as needed). I apply one coat (THIN is key with FK). Wait for it to haze where you get a clean finger swipe, but I wouldn`t leave it on there overnight. ~15 minutes should be plenty depending on temp and humidity (don`t do this in sunlight).

The second coat coat is worth it, and does add more durability in my experience. FK needs some cure time (24 hours), so you can wait a day, then put the second coat on the next day if you would like. What I do is just wait a week until my next wash and then do the 2nd coat at that time.

Hope this helps.
    Likes Boden liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boden View Post
    Accumulator should be along in 3... 2... 1...

You guys also forget that I push this stuff as well, short of a coating, there is nothing like it. UV protection, pretty chemical resistant, long lasting, inexpensive, bird bomb resistant, easy to clean, mineral deposit resistant.

OP, multiple coats at a time aren`t really needed. Apply one coat after decon or polish, drive the car for a week and put another coat on, if you want. There is not much sense in waiting short times between multiple coats. You *can* leave FK1000P on the paint over night, but make sure that you have a lot of MF`s on hand, because you will need them all to buff the finish to a *psuedo-hologram* free shine.
    Likes nickclark08, Boden liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    You guys also forget that I push this stuff as well, short of a coating, there is nothing like it. UV protection, pretty chemical resistant, long lasting, inexpensive, bird bomb resistant, easy to clean, mineral deposit resistant.

OP, multiple coats at a time aren`t really needed. Apply one coat after decon or polish, drive the car for a week and put another coat on, if you want. There is not much sense in waiting short times between multiple coats. You *can* leave FK1000P on the paint over night, but make sure that you have a lot of MF`s on hand, because you will need them all to buff the finish to a *psuedo-hologram* free shine.
    I agree, I`ve used FK BWM101 on my boat for years.

Post Thanks / Like

Manix- Numerous comparisons always yielded the same results for me: More layers are definitely better for both durability and etching resistance and it wasn`t a subtle diff by a long shot. Just don`t layer it *too soon* lest your risk (just a risk, but it`s a biggie) pseudo-holograms from Solvent Action.

Or at least refresh the single application long before it really dies.

Note that waxes used for Mold Release applications pretty much *have to* layer.

The nice thing is that FK1000P is OK with fewer layers than something like KSG.

(IF anybody has had differing experiences regarding the benefit/not of multiple applications of FK1000P I`d like to hear about `em, especially the testing protocol. NO, no...not challenging/arguing/etc. just very curious. YMMV always applies with this stuff IMO.)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all.
    I will just add a couple of coats, one per week after a wash.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how 1000p would work over essence. This could be a killer combo.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Pics!!

Quote Originally Posted by Manix View Post
    Thanks all.
    I will just add a couple of coats, one per week after a wash.

Post Thanks / Like

I *think* Brandt (512 Detail) did this a while back... might be mistaken on the person but I know there`s a thread around here somewhere. Good results from what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by OneQuickGT1 View Post
    I wonder how 1000p would work over essence. This could be a killer combo.
    Likes VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at all those "Accumulator oughta...." posts makes me a bit, but I don`t mind fanboying something that works so well for me.

IME FK1000P is, perhaps surprisingly, quite compatible with all sorts of underlying products.
    Likes Boden, VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`d take it more as a compliment and testament to you being the resident authority (or at least the most vocal ) on FK1000p

Post Thanks / Like

I am by no means an expert on this stuff but I have used it over the last 4 to 5 years on my Camaro(actually I haven`t used it in the last year). I thought I read when I first used it that waiting more than a few hours between coats was all that was needed. When I used it I have done mainly 2 coats a day apart, too much work to get 2 coats on and off in one day. I did try 3 coats one year but think the that coat was a waste of time as it didn`t seem to improve anything. My thoughts on 2 coats is for coverage purposes, to make sure the entire car has been covered and no spots were missed which is highly doubtful when I finished the first coat but peace of mind. I have always had a rough time time getting it off but found that I likely been putting it on too thick and waiting too long before removing. Just my thoughts.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Looking at all those "Accumulator oughta...." posts makes me a bit, but I don`t mind fanboying something that works so well for me.

IME FK1000P is, perhaps surprisingly, quite compatible with all sorts of underlying products.
    I`ve often wondered how it would work on top of PB black hole or white diamond.
    Thanks VitreousHumor thanked for this post

Page 1 of 26 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information