Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FK1000p Beginner questions

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Ochnob- Glad it went well and that you`re so happy with it! Yes indeed, it`s great on silver.

Are you planning to use a Drying Aid to maintain it?
    Im in kind of a delema there with drying aids. I have a bunch. Not sure which one would be best. Don’t have any FK spray detailer.

i only have a small bit of Sonax BSD left. I know that works with FK but my wife’s van has a ton of surface area an that would only last one time

I have a bunch of “Blue Juice”. Carpro Ech2o mixed with Reload. Don’t think that pairs well. That’s leftover from my Coatings failed journey. Just was never really satisfied with coatings. I have come full circle back to WDGS, Collinite 845, Sonax PNS (one of my favorites), and Sonax Speed Protect (remarkable scratch resistant finish) and now FK1000p to round out my collection.

I have a gallon of P&S Beadmaker. Love the stuff. I have that on my Volvo DD thats outside 24/7. (I know... the Volvo is outside while the wife’s van and the kids bikes get the garage... welcome to married life.. and it gives me the excuse to constantly wash it....lol). Beadmaker is great stuff but it really is almost a sealant of its own. Right now I don’t want to hide the FK. Maybe in the future I might try it but I want to enjoy the FK on its own for now. Beadmaker is a really slick finish.

I also have a gallon of McKee’s Extender Spray Wax. Nice product. Doesn’t streak even in sunlight on a hot panel. Good for windows too. Leaves a nice slick result without changing the characteristics of the underlying product. Fairly good water beading but not in the BSD category, but not many are. I am leaning towards the McKee’s so I don’t change the FK characteristics and I have to use it. It’s been sitting around since last Xmas...lol.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Ochnob- Sounds like you already have lots of stuff to use up, but FWIW I`m doing great just using Garry Dean`s IUDJ as my Drying Aid on FK1000P. Zero downside, period and quite cheap (I mix 2 oz. IUDJ + 1 gallon distilled water). NEVER woulda thunk it in a million years, but trying it sold me. Doubt I`ll bother buying more FK425/FK146 let alone any other QDs.
    Thanks Ochnob thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Accumulator, I am a NEWB to forums. I just wanted to chime in and thank you for all of the tips on using FK1000p. I am not a professional detailer, but developed and OCD eye as a young adult working in my grandfathers body shop. In the past I have typically used traditional carnauba based waxes from 3M, Megs, and more recently chemical guys. Living in Texas I have always found myself reapplying every 3 months and looking for a product with extended protection. Anyways, I purchased a tin or tub of the FK1000p and completed my journey this past weekend on my daily driving charcoal gray charger and I have to say overall I am really pleased with the results thus far. The car paint feels and looks very wet, not as rich or deep as a carnauba but boy does metallic in the paint pop. Now its time for the durability test.

Post Thanks / Like

How is FK in regards to dust attraction?

Post Thanks / Like

JRuss- Welcome to Autopia! Thanks, nice to hear my endless posting about this stuff is of benefit to somebody

Yeah, your take on it`s look is what I`d expect, and that`s not the worst color to use it on (and it`s a good color for a Charger IMO too). With the heat/etc. you`re dealing with, I`ll be interested to hear how the durability works out for you.

How is FK in regards to dust attraction?
    IME it`s better than waxes, not quite as good as some "dry" sealants. But the dust doesn`t adhere the way it does to some LSPs so overall I`d rate it pretty good. But oh man does this sound like one of those unpredictable !YMMV! situations in the making.

The Crown Vic was freshly LSPed with it ages (years) ago, but I stashed it in the back of the shop to drive the `93 Audi more and never got it back out. This year I figured it really needed a little (very little, but it was something) exercise so I took it out without washing it. Covered with "garage dust" and looked hideous. A few hours of spirited use later most of the dust had blown off and it looked almost-OK (but sure not Autopian..). I was simply astounded, never expected that in a million years. No, not saying it`ll work like that for anybody else, but !oh man!...it still looks pretty decent months later too.

I`m tempted (but just tempted) to say "don`t worry about dust attraction/retention with this stuff", but I just know it`d come back to bite me..so if you try it and form an opinion about that, I`d sure appreciate knowing about it.

Heh heh, yeah...I keep hedging my bets with the !YMMV! disclaimers, but you *just don`t know* until you try some things for yourself and I don`t want to give people unrealistic expectations.

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Accumulator. Speaking of colors, I had read in this thread that some of the darker colors you didnt prefer the FK on and mentioned that RED was one of those colors you didnt like it on. Have you had a personal experience with this? I ask mainly because I would like to detail my wifes maroon Tahoe. Its a new chevrolet tri-coat maroon ( typically dont like reds but love this color ). I battle love bugs debri, even with a new coat of wax every 2-3 months. Between the routine washing and waxing it has become a love/hate relationship! Do you have any suggestions or should I just test the FK? TIA.

Post Thanks / Like

JRuss- No, I`ve never tried it on reds (gee, how long has it been since I had/did a red vehicle?!? Decades ). When it comes to dark colors, I always 1) thought "this will look awful, way too sealanty.." but after I got used to the look I liked it just fine (e.g. the dark blue pearl-type metallic on my oldest Audi), 2) oughta point out that *nothing* I`ve ever used on any vehicle has elicited so many compliments from complete strangers like FK1000P on those exact same dark colors. Nobody ever did that over the Collinite, let alone Souveran, that I thought looked better, but with the FK it happens so often it`s kinda weird...if only because those are my beaters!

I`ll go out on a limb and say that yeah...you oughta just try it. And don`t go too far with your first impressions, live with it for a while if it`s not to your taste. You can always top it with something if you just can`t stand it and at least it oughta be better protected than it is now. Not that I know from Love Bugs...

Heh heh, if you reapplied the FK1000P every few months like your current wax (and wash right) you might go as long between decontaminating/claying and polishing/paint cleaning as I do!

Ya know..the more I think about it, I bet I`d like how it`ll look on that paint. See what you think and if you get a chance post back, I`d love to hear your take on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Accumulator, Thank you. I was really leaning toward trying it anyway. Love bugs is what we have always called them, the enzymes will quickly etch modern clear coat cars. I typically have to wash both of my vehicles weekly just to be safe and depending on the time of year I might spray the front end off two times in between.

Just curious, do you typically polish before you apply and if so what polish has given you "best" look?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRuss View Post
    Just curious, do you typically polish before you apply and if so what polish has given you "best" look?
    No, I don`t polish before I apply it unless there`s marring to correct, and that doesn`t happen often. I haven`t done a full-vehicle polishing for years (and I don`t mean just three or four).

But FWIW, I do my serious correction with M101, less-serious with HD Cut (I might switch to Griot`s stuff if I ever use those up), and I almost always Finish Polish with HD Polish (haven`t tried the new "Polish+" version as it takes me forever to use it up). I *UTTERLY DESPISE* M205 and I won`t use Menzerna either. And there`s my Abrasive Products answer in a nutshell

The closest I come to using an abrasive regularly is my now-and-then use of some old 1Z products (Pro-Line Metallic Polish and WaxPolishSoft) that are *almost* nonabrasive on my paints (they are functionally nonabrasive in the sense that they won`t take out even the lightest marring), and ZAIO which is also too mild to do any cutting. Maybe some KAIO which is always functionally nonabrasive for me, on everything.

So far I`ve never had any problems with FK1000P going over products like the 1Z/AIOs that leave stuff behind.

I hardly ever even clay/etc. before redoing the FK1000P (though I spot-clay as needed at every wash). I get a vehicle as good as I can get it once, and then I just try to keep it that way. Yeah, kinda challenging, but it works for me.

Heh heh, you`re washing as often as I once did Now I don`t wash for incredibly long stretches at a time, well...except for my wife`s car, which gets used a lot, and even that doesn`t get done weekly.

It sounds like your Love Bugs will be a real Acid Test for the Fk1000P. Sure hope it works OK for you, looking forward to hearing about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the reply. No real marring or defect to contend with at all on her Tahoe so no real reason to add the additional step. Oh yeah the love bugs will be a true test. It is common to see the etching take place if left on over 24hrs or so. I have taken on a couple of projects for friends who didnt pay attention and let them bake on for a couple of weeks and large sections of the clear coat looked milky when cleaned!

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes, better get two coats on the Tahoe then. Nice that you don`t have to correct it, doing mine took forever.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Yikes, better get two coats on the Tahoe then. Nice that you don`t have to correct it, doing mine took forever.
    Two coats is good.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah being that I really dont have any polishing I will probably tackle complete two coats this weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator.... I think the FK guys should bring you to the next annual company meeting. You have sold more FK1000p for them than any human alive.

On a side note, I am really enjoying FK on my wife’s Silver metallic van. It’s been a couple weeks and plan on adding the second coat for winter this weekend if the weather holds out. It’s rained a bunch here over the last couple weeks with the hurricanes and even with one coat of FK I am really impressed by its self cleaning abilities.

Accumulator.... thanks again for all your input.

Post Thanks / Like

To give credit where it`s really due- It was Ron "Grumpy" Ketcham, who worked at FK for ages under Floyd Meguiar, who insisted that I try the FK1000P, and that`s what started all this. I blew him off about it for ages before finally giving in and trying it, and well...that was that. Ketch is a genuine fount of wisdom with invaluable connections to the major automakers; he knows what`s (really) what about topics where other (supposed) experts only pretend to know, and I`ve learned a lot from him (he and I don`t always agree, but hey I don`t *always* agree with anybody ). Heh heh, yeah...I`ve posted that before, and I`ll undoubtedly post it again.

Ochnob- You`re quite welcome, and *I* appreciate your feedback. Glad it`s working out so well for you. With something that size I bet you`ll appreciate its durability. Yeah, get another coat on there when you can, and watch for "wear/exposure" areas that might benefit from more frequent reapplications than the rest of it might need.

I`ve never had a problem doing, say...the lowermost part of a quarter panel/fender behind the wheels while *not* doing anything else. It`s not like "the part without the added coat looks really different" or anything like that, so don`t worry about having a uniform number of coats on the whole thing, although a diff in the beading might be a bit of a giveaway if anybody`s really paying attention.

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread Information