Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

GTA-ish (North of Toronto but close enough to see the smog)
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: FK1000p Beginner questions

Finished buffing
    Three edge less eagles took everything off and then went over the whole car again with a double-soft just in case I missed anything. Roughly an hour to buff the vehicle (KIA Sorento, 7 seater, so a medium size)
    I re-applied a coat to the hood as that`s where I started and based on how it felt I think I went too thin at first.

Honestly, it went on and off really nice with limited drama but lots of rag flipping and shaking.

After seeing how nice it went on, I`m tempted to use the cyclo with red or black pads for the second coat as it`s hard to get at the middle of the roof on this car and there`s a lot of roof there (end up moving my platform 4 times per side) The hood is also quite an expanse and the cyclo running slow is basically a one handed operation for spreading waxes

Anyway, we`ll see how well this stuff works as they`re starting to build a new subdivision in behind my place and right now it`s bulldozers and scrapers running around the field everyday tossing clouds of dust into the air.
    M

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    You meant Collinite 845, right? Their Insulator Wax? If so, then you could use that but I wouldn`t be all *that* worried about the FK1000P and the trim, just buff any off promptly. I myself would probably worry more about getting some 845 on areas that I planned to FK.

I would *NEVER* put the tire gel on exterior trim under any circumstances whatsoever, but that`s just me.

I just don`t see the FK1000P/trim issue as being that big a deal, remember that I`ve *used* it on trim, although I do put it in the "don`t try this at home, kids!" category.

And this is probably where I oughta repeat my "fog the surface with your breath during the final buff"

I bet it`ll go fine!
    Well,got my FK1000p yesterday afternoon. I did a quick RW with D114 and went at it.

I cut in about 4" from the glass and trim. I also hand-applied on the roof,rocker panels, front fascia,and rear. The rest by Cyclo,using the white finishing pads.

Incredibly easy on/off. I put it on too thick on the hood,(put too much on the pads). I just let it sit longer and buffed out the rest of the car before the hood. A little dusting, but came right off.

And I thought a little 476s went a long way! This tin will last me my whole life.

I thought you said "FROG the surface with your breath during the final buff". That didn`t work for me.

I just couldn`t get the little guy to sit still.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    Well,got my FK1000p yesterday afternoon. I did a quick RW with D114 and went at it...[and it went OK]...
    Ah, good! With that 4" cut-in you were plenty safe and I`m glad to hear it`s Cyclo-friendly.
    And I thought a little 476s went a long way! This tin will last me my whole life.
    That`s no hyperbole, folks. Although I *am* working towards the bottom of my tin so I guess I`ll go through one more.

I thought you said "FROG the surface with your breath during the final buff". That didn`t work for me.

Heh heh, good one...says the guy who loves the little tree frogs that hang out on his kitchen window.

Post Thanks / Like

Well,got my FK1000p yesterday afternoon. I did a quick RW with D114 and went at it...[and it went OK]...
    Ah, good! With that 4" cut-in you were plenty safe and I`m glad to hear it`s Cyclo-friendly. Is that a variable speed Cyclo or the older single-speed Model 5?
    That`s no hyperbole, folks. Although I *am* working towards the bottom of my tin so I guess I`ll go through one more.

Heh heh, good one...says the guy who loves the little tree frogs that hang out on his kitchen window.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooser
    Honestly, it went on and off really nice with limited drama but lots of rag flipping and shaking...
    Ah, another good first experience! Heh heh, when I read "lots of rag flipping and shaking.." I think "even with the thickest application ever!" Just teasin` but I will say that I don`t have to do that no matter how big the vehicle.

Ah, another Cyclo user too! So yours is the variable speed model?

I sympathize with having to move the platform! I did that for a while before going nuts and buying a scad of `em.

I too am eagerly awaiting news about how it works out over time. Yeah, get another coat on there and you oughta be good for a long, long time even with the construction.

Post Thanks / Like

Well,

I found some ambition this morning and RW’d my other car. Then slapped some FK1000p on it and the wheels.

No issues. However,the flies and mosquitos love the scent. I had a fly and a mosquito both land in the open tin.

I’ll wait until next week to apply another coat.

I have one of the first variable-speed Cyclos. It does have the short cord,though.

Post Thanks / Like

... Ah, another Cyclo user too! So yours is the variable speed model?

I sympathize with having to move the platform! I did that for a while before going nuts and buying a scad of `em.
    Yeah it`s a variable speed one (got it just after Rupes bought them by the looks of the box it came in a few years back). It`s still my favorite to use if I`m not in a hurry, if for no other reason than it`s almost fun to use.
    M

Post Thanks / Like

Older & Mooser- I always dismissed the variable speed feature as a solution in search of a problem, but maybe that was short sighted.

Did you guys apply at full speed or dial it down?

Ever try doing the buff-off with MF bonnets on the Cyclo? I do kinda like that, even if I don`t bother doing it very often.

Older- Huh, never noticed the bug attraction, but then I`m working indoors too. And yeah, both of my Cyclos have the short cord, I`ve never even seen one with a longer one.

Mooser- Yeah, running a Cyclo is about as close as I come to enjoying such stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally for application I smear it it around the section a little (W pattern) then turn it on about 1 and make a pass to spread and make sure it`s not gonna fling, and then dial it up to full on a horizontal or about 1 shy for a vertical surface seems about right for me and M101/M105. Basically the same for polish but I can run full on all surfaces
    Other than the initial spreading I would agree it doesn`t get dialed down much

If I`m spreading wax or glaze (M26, white diamond, black hole, or other liquid types) I usually go about 3-4 where it just smooths out and run it there
    M

Post Thanks / Like

Mooser- Ah, OK..that makes sense. Maybe my "minimal product at all times" mindset blinded me to how useful the lower speeds would be for the initial spreading.

Gee, I might not`ve used the Cyclo with a liquid wax since..oh man I don`t *know* when..back when I was using Malm`s for my LSP and that was over 20 years ago! Sure was quick and easy though, at least on vehicles that I could LSP via Cyclo (which doesn`t include the Jag).

Post Thanks / Like

Mooser:

Yep - thin, thin, thin. In my limited FK experience, I have only ever needed a single MF removal towel for my sedan. It comes off with no visible residue either (but I can smell it on the cloth). Applied Accumulator-thin, it`s never marked trim that I`ve touched with the applicator, and I`ve never had a lick of trouble removing it.

Maybe I`m lucky (but I`m usually not). I`ll have to try to get my second coat of my second application done this weekend.

My more complete observations after switching to FK last fall are in the "Accumulator made me do it" thread. I`m coming from nearly two decades of P21S Concours wax as my "go to" on German paints.

Post Thanks / Like

Older & Mooser- I always dismissed the variable speed feature as a solution in search of a problem, but maybe that was short sighted.

Did you guys apply at full speed or dial it down?

Ever try doing the buff-off with MF bonnets on the Cyclo? I do kinda like that, even if I don`t bother doing it very often.

Older- Huh, never noticed the bug attraction, but then I`m working indoors too. And yeah, both of my Cyclos have the short cord, I`ve never even seen one with a longer one.

Mooser- Yeah, running a Cyclo is about as close as I come to enjoying such stuff.
    I had to go out and look at the speed setting. Apparently,I just leave it on 5 and let it do it`s thing. I don`t remember the last time I changed the speed setting.

I`ve never tried removal with the Cyclo. Interesting,though. I wonder how many bonnets you would need.

They make a 10 foot cord. I`ll pass on that. If they made a 25 foot cord,I`d replace mine,(the cord,not the machine).

Post Thanks / Like

Surly- Heh heh, I`m somehow not surprised that you just leave it set on the speed of the older ones. That`s what I figured I`d do

Eh, don`t let me spend your money regarding the buffing off via Cyclo...it`s probably just something I kinda like doing. Still have to do a little by hand anyhow, whether you 1) get it off mostly by hand and then just give it a final going-over by machine, or 2) do the IMO more practical thing and get ~95% off by Cyclo and then finish by hand.

Ah, a 10` cord, that`sl better than the short little things that mine have. I figured it was some kind of "using the right gauge cord is up to the user, so don`t blame us" thing along with the obvious cost-savings.

Post Thanks / Like

Surly- Heh heh, I`m somehow not surprised that you just leave it set on the speed of the older ones. That`s what I figured I`d do

Eh, don`t let me spend your money regarding the buffing off via Cyclo...it`s probably just something I kinda like doing. Still have to do a little by hand anyhow, whether you 1) get it off mostly by hand and then just give it a final going-over by machine, or 2) do the IMO more practical thing and get ~95% off by Cyclo and then finish by hand.

Ah, a 10` cord, that`sl better than the short little things that mine have. I figured it was some kind of "using the right gauge cord is up to the user, so don`t blame us" thing along with the obvious cost-savings.
    They wouldn`t even sell me the 10` cord. They referred me to Autog..k to buy a new machine. Yeah,thanks.

Cyclo`s traditional exemplary customer service appears to be a thing of the past. I wonder if Rupes bought them for their patents or designs and will eventually just close Cyclo`s doors.

Post Thanks / Like

They wouldn`t even sell me the 10` cord. They referred me to Autog..k to buy a new machine. Yeah,thanks.

Cyclo`s traditional exemplary customer service appears to be a thing of the past. I wonder if Rupes bought them for their patents or designs and will eventually just close Cyclo`s doors.
    Wow, that`s a real surprise! My latest CS experience with them (post-Rupes) could not have gone better.

Post Thanks / Like

IME FK1000P is, perhaps surprisingly, quite compatible with all sorts of underlying products.
    In my case the underlying product was FK1000P,which it Was not compatible with, due to pseudo holograms.

I`ve dealt with a multitude of different waxes, sealants and coatings.

Never had anything do something like that previously nor since, since I`ve back shelved FK1000P.

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread Information