Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FK1000p Beginner questions

I`ll soon be applying the FK1000P to my new Edge, and have a question about how heat and humidity affect the drying time of the product. We`re going to be seeing 100+ degree days here soon, and the humidity here in the summer is pretty high, too. Would high temps like this increase the drying time, or decrease it? (I`ll be applying in the garage, but it`s only marginally cooler there than in the driveway).

Post Thanks / Like

OzzieMike- Gee, I don`t know! Never applied the stuff without climate control....I`d expect it to dry faster, despite the humidity.
    Likes OzzieMike liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ozzie, based on my experiences using it in the Texas summer heat and humidity, I would try to do it early in the morning or late evening when relatively cooler. It will definitely dry faster, but not to the level of "OMG, I JUST put this on there! why is it already concrete?"

I would go a few panels at a time (applying thin) until you get a feel for it. Then just adjust your process accordingly. Watch it, and wait for the swipe test to come up clean. you should be just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! Sounds like I`ll have to wash/clay/polish the day before, then apply the FK1000P early morning the next day.

One last question (and I think I saw the answer before, but can`t find it now).....will I need to tape off the plastic, or doesn`t it matter with this stuff?

Post Thanks / Like

Humidity is the key and not so much the temp I a garage that`s shaded. If the humidity is very high you need not worry about it drying too fast. Do it in the garage in the shade and it should apply just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

definitely keep it off the trim. If it`s just a light smudge, you may have luck quickly wiping it off with a MF towel. Certainly do not let it dry on the trim.
    Likes OzzieMike, moneyjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, if you apply super thin, let it dry all it wants. I taped the last time but won`t next. Tape if you can`t be precise or you have something with texture. Wipe within a minute if you hit something you didn`t want to.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep a clean MF and a bottle of FK425 handy just in case I get some on the pebble plastic--a quick wipe before it drys only take a few seconds.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like I`m the only guy here who`s deliberately used it on trim. No, no....Don`t try this at home, kids! It sure *was* tricky to pull off and if tried on the wrong trim I can imgine it going terribly sideways.

Yeah, a MF slightly dampened with FK425 to wipe it off immediately oughta take care of any !oops! if you`re applying as thinly as you oughta. To be honest, IMO if you`re applying it as carefully as you should it won`t happen anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m using a Jumbo waffle weave microfiber towel to buff this stuff off. It is great! A single towl can do a whole large car even with how thick I apply it. And it washes up almost perfect with just a 20min soak in soap powder.

However applying this stuff just takes sooo long for my liking , it really is annoying.

I have noticed the beading up after applying isn`t that significant, on the roof & flat paint panels after a lite drizzle it was very fine drops, & on windscreen in heavy rain it just doesn`t look like much beading is going on compared to side windows. Although I have nothing to compare to, perhaps I was expecting more? I wonder if polishing the glass with M105 & D/A to remove previous hard water spots has anything to do with it?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure - I`ve got a couple shots on my phone of some impressive beading after a fresh application of FK.

How long did the FK cure on the car before the rain? FK is one of those sealants that really needs the full 24 hours to cure before exposing to moisture.

Post Thanks / Like

Huh, the beading I get from it is quite impressive, even compared to M16/Collinite, and most of the water (and any dirt) rolls right off the vehicle with any driving. I get tiny, spherical beads that last for months and months.
    Likes nickclark08, pwaug liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

According to this four month trial the FK1000P was the least durable:
    Linking to non-PBMG detailing sites not permitted. Link removed.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont understand tbe difficulties, now it is difficult to apply ?
    I find it is like applying water, that easy well no quite but close).

Post Thanks / Like

Long time fk1000p user and I had challenges when using yellow pads, but it might be the ones I have. Switched to fat red ones that had a stiffer surface and all was resolved. Still went thin and sill I let it dry.

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread Information