Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FK1000p Beginner questions

Added the second coat to the wife’s van. It really looks better than just the one. I think this will be the coating of choice for this vehicle until it goes away. FK is so easy to work with.

On a a side note- McKee’s Trademark Extender Spray Wax seems to compliment it very well. Its all synthetic and enhances the smooth surface.

Acummulator.- thanks for the tip of just freshening up certain areas on occasion with FK. Never really though of that. Always added a full coat to everything. I can see me reapplying it on the back and lower panels on occasion. The flat back of this van get plastered with junk.

Post Thanks / Like

Ochnob- Sure enjoyed reading your last post, and I agree that two generally looks a bit better than one. I didn`t notice more really doing much of anything additional when I got 4 on the `03 Audi, just lasted longer.

Glad you found a good complimentary SprayWax. Good that it`s synthetic (the name initially had me wondering until I read your next sentence), oughta be fine.

And yeah...I too deal with that "trailing surfaces" thing where they take a lot of abuse. Note that I hadn`t redone the *entire* Tahoe for *ages* until earlier this year, just did whatever areas showed minor changes in the beading. Eh, less-than-Autopian I`m sure, but it works fine for me.
    Likes VitreousHumor liked this post
    Thanks Ochnob thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to give you guys a quick update. Over the last two weeks I was able to get two coats of the FK on my wifes tahoe. It seemed like with each coat my technique most have improved because it seemed to get a little easier. I was a little unsure of the use the red but over all was really pleased with the way that it turned out. The FK highlights the metal flake more and the Megs highlights the darker peal more. Here is a quick pic, let me know what you guys think.

Please ignore the lack of product on the tires and running boards!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes SWETM, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

JRuss- So glad the FK is working out for you! Yeah, on some paints it does really bring out the flake nicely, and yeah#2 between your ever-improving technique and the benefits of "wax-on-wax" applications, it can indeed seem easier as you go (something to keep in mind there; get a refresher coat on it before it`s really necessary).

What do you plan to use on the black parts of the running boards? It`d be great if you used something that`ll last like the FK1000P does.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    ...Yeah, on some paints it does really bring out the flake nicely...
    I’m not discounting the claim that you have seen this result but I’m interested in which metal flake colors “some paints” might be? I believe FK1000 offers superior protection to many sealants on the market. That said, IME it definitely mutes the flake on light colored pearl finishes (e.g. Ford’s White Platinum) and for that matter my results on Ford’s Ruby Red was a bit less than I’d hoped. Several products that I have used simply just knock your eyes out when used on the Ruby, Polish Angel’s Viking is outstanding.

The FK left me underwhelmed on the Ruby but not nearly so much as on the Platinum. Owning 3 vehicles with the White Platinum paint over the past few years has really put the brakes on me using this product as an LSP on my vehicles. Used some FK on a Race Red truck about a month ago. A friend wanted solid winter protection, it looked very nice. I think it works well on solid colors but wouldn’t recommended it on pearls. I don’t believe metal flake is FK’s strong suit. Probably just me.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator - On the running boards I typically use back to black...I have never really been that impressed with its overall results and have consider trying Adams VRT. Any Suggestions?

GearHead_1 - I am by no means and can only speak to what I have experience with both of vehicles. On the tahoe, I would consider it really close to the Ford Ruby red pearl. The Metal flake that it brought out on this vehicle was itself is a red metal flake that is lighter than the bc/cc color (as is most) . When using a Megs ultimate paste wax earlier this year it seemed to bring out the pearl (to my eyes) high lighting an almost purple hue making it appear more maroon. I liked the depth of paint it gave the vehicle but at 10-20 ft away you would loose the vision of the pearl & metal flake making the color look flatter. With the FK it seems brighter and at 10-20 ft away you can see both the pearl & metal flake on the body lines. I also used it on my metallic grey charger earlier this month as well. On this darker color it did the same. Over it lost the depth up close but increased the visual brightness of the metallic from a distance. Working in a body shop for a number of years doing finish work I always inspect things from all angles (its a curse!) and this was my observation. I plan on doing a friends `14 Chervrolet Silvarado this weekend that is the older creamish pearl white. I will share the results with that vehicle as well, as it will be my first light color.

Post Thanks / Like

GearHead_1- That`s a good point about the type/color of the flake, and I suppose individual preferences might factor in too. I first noticed the "enahanced flake" effect on GM Granite Metallic (metallic black with multi-colored flake..maybe blue and gold, but I can now only barely remember). Its flake was really *popping* with the FK compared to how it was with Collinite 476S and/or 845, so much so that I initially wasn`t sure I liked it as it completely changed how the thing looked to me. I initially attributed it to the "sealant"(FK) vs. "wax"(Collinite) even though the latter isn`t "all-wax" AFAIK.

On the `93 Audi`s Mica Blue Metallic (blue pearl but with lots of colored metalflake too), the FK did the exact same thing and *really* shows off its weird blueish/multi-colored flake. It`s one of those early OEM "pearlcoats"..cool stuff and different from their later Ming Blue. Real PIA to match, especially after 25+ years of aging.

The compromised areas where it`s worn through the clear/metallic layer/pearl layers make for some odd-looking stuff, really different from any other paint I`ve ever seen.

Next time I have decent lighting I`ll be staring at that Audi like a weirdo trying to see just what the flake is, never really took note of it before But it *is* a "colored" flake that`s not just the usual "whatever it is that turns light gray into silver" if that makes sense.

It does *NOT* do that so much with the Pewter Metallic Tahoe, rather on that silvery color it just looks like "sealant on silver", ho-hum nothing special to see here, just a shiny, nicely waxed SUV. When I do the silver Audis with it I expect they`ll just look "nice but not special" too. That`s how it looks on the Crown Vic`s Smokestone Metallic, although it does do the "color-shift" thing a bit more dramatically (probably just the overall detail).

I somehow thought that I might see the Red of JRuss`s truck the way *he* sees it. So much eye-of-beholder stuff...

JRuss- When *NOTHING* except a Dressing-type approach will work, I use AutoGlym`s Bumper Care, which I believe to be a genuinely unique product of its type and well-suited to running boards (if not much else IMO but that`s just me and I generally hate Exterior Rubber/Vinyl Dressings and basically never use them).

But unless I have to resort to that, I scrub up the surface with Griot`s Rubber Prep (works great on hard plastics too) and then seal it with Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus. The current version isn`t quite as nice as the original solvent-based stuff, but it still beats the Dressing (AKA "slime" ) approach IMO.
    Likes GearHead_1, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think the picture really does any justice to the final look of the vehicle. Heck even my wife noticed the difference. I will see if I cant get a better pic for you guys. I am really interested to see what effect it will have on the pearl white metallic that I will be doing this weekend.

Thanks for the suggestion. I to dislike having to deal with the slime...so much so I put it off

Post Thanks / Like

JRuss- The "blind test using spouse" is pretty good, huh? Accumulatorette spots things far more often than I would`ve expected.

I can never see much of anything in internet-quality photos...to me stuff looks "good" or "not" and it`s pretty much that simple. Hence my general lack of "oooh, wow that looks great!" comments on all the Shiny Car Pics posted here Unless I see something in person, under the right conditions, well...

I too just dislike using the Slim Products. I simply *HATE* dressing tires for that reason and would go nuts had I not found an applicator/process that I`m kinda, sorta, almost OK with. The (utterly trashed) satin black aluminum running boards of the Beater Tahoe (and their plastic step-pads) are the only things other than tires that I slime, and I only do that because nothing except refinishing will make them truly decent but the Slime hides a multitude of sins well enough for a Beater.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324

Thread Information