Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FK1000p Beginner questions

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Unfortunately, my wife was rear-ended and the Kia took a hit to the rear and front. Thankfully, she`s alright...
    Yikes, I don`t remember hearing about that! Sure glad She Whose Name I Cannot Pronounce is OK!

All the work I put on the rear, though, is out the window. Testing/Using Blackfire`s products on it

,,who knows what the shop has done to the car since in their care. I`m planning on going through all of it. I think I`ll take advantage of this and split the hood in half. FK1000p and Pink on one side, BF Paint Sealant and Midnight Sun on the other half..
    Be sure to wait until the paint has cured/finished outgassing, if anything could mess with that I bet it`d be the FK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    It`ll be interesting to see if it`s OK over the PB Black. It`s never been finicky about such stuff for me, but I`ve never used it over an actual Paste Wax either (just "leaves stuff behind" QDs).

As long as it`s compatible with the PB`s it ought protect great. Not sure how you`ll like the look..but then I didn`t know how *I* would like the look on some of my vehicles (fortunately it grew on me).

Yeah, IME it`s not all that diff from Collinite when it comes to going on/coming off, but don`t moisten the FK`s applicator with water the way you would with 476S. I don`t dampen the applicator at all except with FK425, and only then if the FK1000P is a bit dried out.
    Thanks, Accumulator, I`ll definitely leave my applicator dry when I got to use it. Back in the day, I would do a heavy coat of Collinite and then top it with PB Paste Wax Blue, and it made my little black truck so shiny you couldn`t look at it in the sun, but I did have to be careful about those pseudo-holograms you speak of with FK layering.

I`m not too worried about the reaction it`ll have with the PB that`s on it now. If it removes it, oh well, I can always come back and put the PB back over the FK. If it gives me that pseudo-hologram thing, I`ll strip all the wax down and start over, either way its just some wax wasted.
    2022 VW Atlas - White (FK1000P)
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.7L - Pretty Much Maroon
    (FK1000P)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIDOAG14 View Post
    I`m not too worried about the reaction it`ll have with the PB that`s on it now.. If it gives me that pseudo-hologram thing, I`ll strip all the wax down and start over..
    OK, you know what to watch out for.

..either way its just some wax wasted.
    But more importantly IMO...it`s some *TIME* wasted!

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes, I don`t remember hearing about that! Sure glad She Whose Name I Cannot Pronounce is OK!
    I didn`t post about that until now. She is OK overall. Has had a few physical therapy sessions, and has a few more to go, per the docs. Mostly neck tissue/muscle.
    She Whos Name We Cannot Pronounce sends her thanks to you

Be sure to wait until the paint has cured/finished outgassing, if anything could mess with that I bet it`d be the FK.
    I don`t doubt that either, with the FK. This is the final week for that outgassing phase. Thank goodness. I need to find some time to get it cleaned up and LSP`d again.

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- Thanks for the update, glad things didn`t turn out worse.

Think it`s been long enough for the outgassing? Maybe I err on the side of caution, but I always seem to wait longer than other people.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator: No problem. I`m glad, too!

I`m the same way, and would err on the side of caution. Give it a bit more time, and a few washes before I hit with anything. Not like I have time for it right now, anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, this past weekend I thought it was done raining so I washed my truck and got to try out my first coat of FK on it. I think it looks pretty good! It was overcast so no great sun shots. And then danged if it didn`t rain on my hard work that afternoon!!!

Went on easy, I tried to keep it thin (I`m a wax-waster). It buffed right off I had no issues! I did turn my towel to a clean side after buffing it off and "re-buffed" I don`t know if it did any good or not. I`m also not sure if the Poorboy`s underneath is still there. Oh well, I`m happy with the ease of use and the way it looks so I guess that`s all that matters!

Very happy with the results, glad I broke down and bought a tin. Next up, my wife`s caddy.
    FK1000p Beginner questions-fk100p-1.jpg
    FK1000p Beginner questions-fk100p-2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 VW Atlas - White (FK1000P)
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.7L - Pretty Much Maroon
    (FK1000P)
    Likes OzzieMike liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

FIDOAG14- Hey, that`s a great color for the FK too! Glad you`re happy with it. Just wait until you see how well it lasts/protects
    Likes OzzieMike liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Question for the experts. I have just received my tin. Really excited after reading all the reviews.

I am am going to be doing a family members full size truck. I thought th FK would be a great fit for the cost, water spot etching protection, and due to the fact the truck is white. However I really would like to get it all done over the weekend since they need the truck. Is there any advice of how to put 2 coats on in 2 days without any pseudo holograms? I have Duragloss 601 would that help the first coat? Then give it 18-24 hrs and do the second coat?

I am looking for a long lasting finish with great water spot etching resistance because they have really hard water out of a well. And the fact they are going to give my son the truck in a couple years. So I am trying to preserve the trucks finish as much as possible. I was considering doing one layer of Duragloss 105/601. Waiting a couple hours and doing a FK1000p/601 coat. Waiting 24 hrs and doing a second coat of just FK1000p.

Thoughts/ Suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, I turned my back for a few days and missed a scad of PMs and New Posts and and and

Ochnob- Your proposed approach oughta work fine. Although I like to spread things out over a few days, I don`t believe that`s absolutely necessary (at least not in most cases).

The DG601, *which I`ve never used*, doesn`t normally require a cure time, does it? I FK1000P right over freshly done KAIO and ZAIO with no problems, so I`d *GUESS* that it`d work OK with the DG also.

I`d keep an eye out for the psuedoholograms, but I would *not* be too worried about that. You could always go overkill at the next wash by giving it another coat then, or just doing whatever areas show the worst wear (always some panels that take a beating worse than others). Don`t worry about doing any big prep for that unless the truck has some awful contamination experience, just wash and rewax.

Sorry it took me so long to respond to this...and Welcome to Autopia!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Accumulator! I for some reason never posted on this site but am on the sister site quite often.

I also read read on another site that some people do 2 layers of FK back to back. Supposedly that is directly from the company. They say the company originally designed it that way for coating molds in production. But I don’t think anyone would care about holograms in a mold for production purposes. Lol.

Has anybody ever had any experience coats back to back? I wonder if ther is a higher pseudo holograms might be present if you do it back to back or waiting 24 hrs.

Im gonna put a layer on my wife’s van this evening just because I’m dying to try it. Putting it over WDGS for the winter. I will post results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ochnob View Post
    I also read read on another site that some people do 2 layers of FK back to back. Supposedly that is directly from the company. They say the company originally designed it that way for coating molds in production. But I don’t think anyone would care about holograms in a mold for production purposes. Lol.
    Correct on all counts Supposedly you can do a two-stage buff, where the fist pass "opens up the build-film to allow more thorough drying/curing/flash-off due to increased air exposure, and then a second pass to *really* buff it, and then it`s be OK to do the second coat. Not really all that different from how I buff LSPs anyhow.

(BTW, I bet my pal Ron Ketcham developed the "how to use" stuff at FK.)

Works fine...when it does. When it doesn`t you get the pseudo-holograms. Feel lucky?

Has anybody ever had any experience coats back to back? I wonder if ther is a higher pseudo holograms might be present if you do it back to back or waiting 24 hrs.
    Sure I did it that way for ages, probably more times than I`ve done it "one at a time". Zero issues except for *two* times when I got the pseudo-holograms, and one of those was when I went nuts with a lot of layers over a few days. Absolute murder to buff `em off...black Yukon XLD with every inch needing done. And FWIW, they showed up a while after I`d applied the last coats. Never again gonna risk that as it was a huge PIA, BUT...that experience might make me overly cautious about something that won`t be an issue for anybody else. Eh, so few things go haywire for me with Detailing that when something does I take it seriously.

I`ve never had a problem doing one coat per day up to maybe four coats total. IME 24 hours between coats gives enough time for the product to truly cure and become impervious to solvent-action. But I do think that it helps to not "apply it aggressively" lest there be a greater likelihood of that solvent-action causing issues, so don`t lean on the polisher if doing it by machine/rub really hard if doing it by hand.

Im gonna put a layer on my wife’s van this evening just because I’m dying to try it. Putting it over WDGS for the winter. I will post results.
    So far I can`t recall FK1000P not playing nice with any underlying product, hope it works OK over the WDGS.

Post Thanks / Like

Ochnob -

For what it`s worth, I`ve done FK 24 hours apart the last two applications and have not had any issues. I follow Accumulator`s advice: put it on *thin* with *light* pressure. I`ve not had any problems and get great results. I do use a DA not by hand. I will probably have to do that again since we can`t seem to go more than 2 or 3 days without rain here in the last few months...

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Ochnob View Post
    Thanks Accumulator! I for some reason never posted on this site but am on the sister site quite often.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok guys. Just did one coat today due to time on the wife’s van. So far I love it! Applied with a DA and a 4in LC Hydro tech crimson pad. Worked really well with the tin. Easy on and off. I have no idea how people say this stuff is tuff to get off. They must be slathering it on.
    It does look like putting another layer of clear on the car. Looks great on silver.

I will I’ll put a second coat on in another week or so.

Thanks for all all your input guys! I will try to throw up some pics soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Ochnob- Glad it went well and that you`re so happy with it! Yes indeed, it`s great on silver.

Are you planning to use a Drying Aid to maintain it?

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread Information