Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: FK1000p Beginner questions

Quote Originally Posted by OzzieMike View Post
    I thought I`d jump back into this thread...

My white Edge is now 13 months old, and I just finished washing, claying, and putting a coat of FK1000 on her. I have been putting the FK1000 on manually, but decided to try applying it with my GG6 today. A couple of observations:

• I felt the FK1000 went on better using the DA. (One of the drawbacks to a white car is seeing where you`ve waxed and where you haven`t). Using the DA I felt I was able to get a more complete, even coating.
    • One pain point to using the DA was having to use a putty knife to apply the FK1000 to the DA pad. Not a huge deal, but it did take a bit of extra time.
    • Although I didn`t put the FK1000 on thick (thanks again, Accumulator, for that valuable tip!), I could tell that using the DA had me use more product than I`d previously used on our cars. And that`s despite scraping the excess of the pad each time.

I`m debating whether to apply a second coat tomorrow. I`ll have to check my initiative meter when I wake up in the morning.
    This is the same way that I have applied two coats on my Platinum White Edge. I did the coats a few days apart (I have a small plastic Bondo mixer that works just fine as a wax spreader). I think a polisher works pretty well with this product. Admittedly you use more product than judiciously applying by hand but at the price of FK1000 who really cares. It still wipes off, no chisel required. It still isn’t my favorite sealant particularly on a white finish but I also wouldn’t throw it under the bus.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes OzzieMike liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    ..[FK1000P].. It still isn’t my favorite sealant particularly on a white finish but I also wouldn’t throw it under the bus.
    Heh heh, I was reading along, nodding my head in agreement, until I saw the bold section...that`s maybe the one color I would`ve thought everybody liked it on!

Curious what you like better, something must`ve slipped under my radar!

Post Thanks / Like

LOL....initiative struck this morning, so I ended up putting another coat of FK1000 on our White Platinum 2017 Edge. It was one of those moments where I didn`t want to second guess myself later and wish I`d put another coat of wax on.

I`m actually seeing the bottom of the FK1000 tin now, so there`s no question in my mind about how much more product is used applying it with a DA vs by hand.

(Still wish FK would put an additive in the FK1000 so it applies pink (or some other color) and dries clear. It would serve two purposes...(1) Make it easier for those of us with white cars to see where we`ve already waxed, and (2) Make it easier to tell when it`s ready to buff off).

Post Thanks / Like

LOL....initiative struck this morning, so I ended up putting another coat of FK1000 on our White Platinum 2017 Edge. It was one of those moments where I didn`t want to second guess myself later and wish I`d put another coat of wax on...
    You oughta be set for a good long while now
    I`m actually seeing the bottom of the FK1000 tin now..
    Good heavens! I gather that`s *not* after, like..."eight years of maintaining a fleet of Suburbans!"

(Still wish FK would put an additive in the FK1000 so ..).
    Heh heh, think of it as an exercise in being meticulously methodical Just kidding, just kidding...sorta

Post Thanks / Like

How much was do you apply to the pad from the tin... I’m sure I used too much...

Does anyone apply a polish when they feel like it OVER fk1000 or 476 or does it effect longevity of LSP.
    PHATS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2000 silver GT mustang..selling

2004 odyssey eXL-res- silver

2005 accord EXL- silver

Post Thanks / Like

phatkid77---A polish contains abrasives that would remove the layer of FK1000 so you would not want to apply polish to an existing coat of 1000 unless you wanted to remove it. However, you can apply compatible toppers that act as a sacrificial layer to extend the life of the 1000.

I`ve seen very good performance of Ultima Acrylic Spray Wax ( https://www.autopia-carcare.com/ulti...spray-wax.html ) over FK1000--very easy to apply, has the same look as 1000 and has shown good durability.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson
    Thanks phatkid77 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator....I think there are two reasons I`ve gone thru so much of the tin of FK1000 in a little over a year.

(1) Applying with a DA uses more, as I can`t fit a 5-1/2" pad inside the tin, so I have to use a putty knife.
    (2) I`m using LC hex pads (red), and I think a lot of the wax ends up in those crevices, then gets "soaked" deep inside the foam.

As I mentioned before, this was the first time I`ve tried applying it with a DA. I think I`ll modify things a bit next time and not reload the pad nearly as often as I did this go `round. I`ll probably invest in some flat pads without the crevices next time, too.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO NOTHING will extend the life of FK1000P as well as...another coat of FK1000P.

But if you just can`t stand the look, FK makes their Pink Wax just for topping it. So I suppose you could top it with some other wax too. But I wouldn`t as it`d mess with your ability to add more Fk1000P later.

I use IUDJ as a Drying Aid and it might provide a little sacrificial layer while not messing with the FK1000P at all. Previously I used FK425, but IMO the IUDJ is better.

EDIT: I might try one of the Acrylic Spritz products on it sometime (I like the Sonus on KSG), but I`m hard-pressed to find any reason to alter what I`ve been doing....if only because I seem to be getting some incredible durability out of this stuff and I might not oughta mess with success.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phatkid77 View Post
    How much was do you apply to the pad from the tin... I’m sure I used too much...
    I`ll use enough FK1000P to cover maybe both of my thumbnails...that`s probably more than I need for the Tahoe but about right for a Suburban. OK..maybe that`s a bit of an exaggeration (maybe NOT..), but I`m still on my first tin of it and I`ve done *countless* coats on big vehicles for many years. If a tin doesn`t last at least a decade I`d wonder why.

It just doesn`t take much; you buff off 99.99999% of whatever you put on anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator....I think there are two reasons I`ve gone thru so much of the tin of FK1000 in a little over a year.

(1) Applying with a DA uses more, as I can`t fit a 5-1/2" pad inside the tin, so I have to use a putty knife.
    (2) I`m using LC hex pads (red), and I think a lot of the wax ends up in those crevices, then gets "soaked" deep inside the foam.

.. I`ll probably invest in some flat pads without the crevices next time, too.
    Yeah, I *HATE* all pads with depressions, for every use..for just that reason.

I`ve always kinda liked applying LSPs via Cyclo, so I`m not slamming the by-machine approach at all. But it does waste a lot of product IME. But eh...if everything goes OK then I can be just as "oh, who cares?" as the next guy
    Likes OzzieMike, Older liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Alrighty, after 21 pages of this... I ordered some FK1000p, it`ll be here on Thursday.
    2022 VW Atlas - White (FK1000P)
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.7L - Pretty Much Maroon
    (FK1000P)
    Likes Older, nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIDOAG14 View Post
    Alrighty, after 21 pages of this... I ordered some FK1000p, it`ll be here on Thursday.
    Heh heh, "resistance is futile"

Do hope it`s All That for you, pretty confident it will be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh, "resistance is futile"

Do hope it`s All That for you, pretty confident it will be.
    I`ve actually been interested in it for a long time but it just never made it onto the annual order but I had some Amazon gift cards burning a hole in my pocket.

I`m excited to try it, I`ll be putting it over week old PB Black Paste Wax. My truck is red and it lives outside so I`m thinking the FK over PB is gonna be a killer combo for looks and durability. I had some Collinite about 10 years ago that I used all the time, I imagine the FK will be pretty similar to work with?
    2022 VW Atlas - White (FK1000P)
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.7L - Pretty Much Maroon
    (FK1000P)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    But if you just can`t stand the look, FK makes their Pink Wax just for topping it. So I suppose you could top it with some other wax too. But I wouldn`t as it`d mess with your ability to add more Fk1000P later.
    Finally bought a tin of FK`s Pink stuff. Received it last week while out on holiday

I`ll play with it in the near future. Unfortunately, my wife was rear-ended and the Kia took a hit to the rear and front. Thankfully, she`s alright. All the work I put on the rear, though, is out the window. Testing/Using Blackfire`s products on it

The hood was also done with BF products, but who knows what the shop has done to the car since in their care. I`m planning on going through all of it. I think I`ll take advantage of this and split the hood in half. FK1000p and Pink on one side, BF Paint Sealant and Midnight Sun on the other half.

Too bad the color of the Kia isn`t the best for warm glows, glass, gloss, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIDOAG14 View Post
    .. I`ll be putting [FK1000P] over week old PB Black Paste Wax...
    It`ll be interesting to see if it`s OK over the PB Black. It`s never been finicky about such stuff for me, but I`ve never used it over an actual Paste Wax either (just "leaves stuff behind" QDs).

My truck is red and it lives outside so I`m thinking the FK over PB is gonna be a killer combo for looks and durability. I had some Collinite about 10 years ago that I used all the time, I imagine the FK will be pretty similar to work with?
    As long as it`s compatible with the PB`s it ought protect great. Not sure how you`ll like the look..but then I didn`t know how *I* would like the look on some of my vehicles (fortunately it grew on me).

Yeah, IME it`s not all that diff from Collinite when it comes to going on/coming off, but don`t moisten the FK`s applicator with water the way you would with 476S. I don`t dampen the applicator at all except with FK425, and only then if the FK1000P is a bit dried out.
    Likes FIDOAG14 liked this post
    Thanks FIDOAG14 thanked for this post

Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread Information