Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FK1000p Beginner questions

Put FK1000p on my ppf today. It was really easy fast and fun to apply. Killed only a few brain cells Looks nice!

During moderate temps in a garage long do you let sit before buffing off?

Do waxes (non carnauba) help any when applied to ppf? Thxs

Post Thanks / Like

IXLRS- Heh heh, it does have a bit of a chemically odor, huh? I like it myself

Regardless of the temp, I let it set up until it passes the "finger-swipe" test. Wipe/buff it off a small area and see if it comes off "dry"/completely/easily. If it still smears/etc. then let it sit longer. And always expect to do a two-stage wipe anyhow. Noting for the umpteenth time that I apply my LSPs as thinly as possible, I let every LSP I have sit for LONG periods with zero issues (LSPing trim notwithstanding). Eh, I generally don`t try to do a quick LSPing, so I`m not very experienced with beating the clock and probably let my LSPs set up for a lot longer than most people.

I figure that any LSP *that doesn`t somehow mess with the PPF* is good because it`ll provide 1) a sacrificial layer between the environment and the PPF, 2) better dirt/etc. shedding than bare PPF, and 3) a slicker, and usually shinier surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Just like a new forum to cost me money Ordered a tin of this to try. Always on the lookout for something that will last a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

RandyinTN- I hope (rather confidently ) the FK1000P really is All That for you.

Thin *thin* *THIN* applications And do keep it off your trim.

Post Thanks / Like

What type of applicator pad does best?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RandyinTN View Post
    What type of applicator pad does best?
    I use foam ones. Just whatever "foam wax applicator pad" I have handy. I just prefer those over MF ones, but it`s not really critical as most anything will work fine. When doing the wheels/etc. of beaters I`ve used everything from "proper wax applicators" to whatever old towel/rag was handy; as long as it goes on thin and is allowed to dry before buffing it oughta be fine.

Guessing that you haven`t read through a zillion lengthy threads about this ...Plan on a two-stage buff off, not just a single pass (even though that`s probably OK most of the time). I like to fog the surface with my breath before doing the final buff, the tiny bit of condensation seems to make everything go better.

Don`t do a second coat too soon. Wait at least a day, I generally wait until the next regularly-scheduled wash. I wouldn`t do more than three coats total.

Post Thanks / Like

Sir Accumulator, temp supposed to be in low 50’s Tuesday, mid 30’s Tuesday night. Is that too cold to apply. This will be my first time using fk1000.

Post Thanks / Like

Fishroes- Sorry, I`m the wrong guy to ask as I always work in a climate-controlled environment. I`d think the 50s oughta be fine (I don`t always heat the shop up much past that) but lower? I wouldn`t expect it to go well although again, I just don`t know...

Post Thanks / Like

Understand. I keep a spray bottle handy filled with water. Will often give a panel just a super light mist before wiping off any type of wax. Seems to make the buffing easier as well as keeping dust down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RandyinTN View Post
    Understand. I keep a spray bottle handy filled with water. Will often give a panel just a super light mist before wiping off any type of wax. Seems to make the buffing easier as well as keeping dust down.
    I`d just fog it with my breath instead. I dunno if more moisture (e.g., from a very light mist with a spraybottle) will be too much, but it sure wouldn`t surprise me. If you *must* do something like that (and IMO the only reason would be a too-thick application so INSERT my usual lecture ) I`d use FK425 instead.

Regulars here know that IUDJ is rapidly replacing FK425 for me, but this is one application where I`d still reach for the FK425, which is 100% compatible with FK1000P (you can even use FK425 to revitalize dried out FK1000P).

GTA-ish (North of Toronto but close enough to see the smog)
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, today`s the day
    Washed and clayed the car last night and parked it in the garage
    spray bottle of rinseless and a ww towel (in case I missed something or the mirrors are still dripping, I hate these mirrors, endless supply of water in there)
    Can of fk1000p, yellow and red applicators (just in case) on the bench
    Thin thin thin
    A stack (ok a tupperware container) of TRC blue eagle towels and a couple of white "double soft" for 2nd "finishing" buff
    A couple of pairs of gloves
    A large thermos of coffee
    thin thin thin

Short of being really careful or masking, what about putting a coat of optimum tire gel on all the plastic trim (this thing has it on the front & rear lower bumpers, around the wheel well lips and a handful of other places I can`t think of right now) first to help prevent any over-wipe of the wax from causing issues. I don`t have any fk425 so that`s out.
    Also have colinite 875 which is what it`ll get eventually on the plastics, maybe that first?

Input??
    M

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mooser View Post
    OK, today`s the day
    Washed and clayed the car last night and parked it in the garage
    spray bottle of rinseless and a ww towel (in case I missed something or the mirrors are still dripping, I hate these mirrors, endless supply of water in there)
    Can of fk1000p, yellow and red applicators (just in case) on the bench
    Thin thin thin
    A stack (ok a tupperware container) of TRC blue eagle towels and a couple of white "double soft" for 2nd "finishing" buff
    A couple of pairs of gloves
    A large thermos of coffee
    thin thin thin

Short of being really careful or masking, what about putting a coat of optimum tire gel on all the plastic trim (this thing has it on the front & rear lower bumpers, around the wheel well lips and a handful of other places I can`t think of right now) first to help prevent any over-wipe of the wax from causing issues. I don`t have any fk425 so that`s out.
    Also have colinite 875 which is what it`ll get eventually on the plastics, maybe that first?

Input??
    M
    I`m too lazy to mask, so I just usually cut in,(by hand),about 4 inches or so from anything I don`t want to get it on. Just like painting a house.

I`ll use the Cyclo for the large areas on the hood, roof trunk and sides.

Just be careful around the sunroof opening.

I`m still waiting for my FK1000p to arrive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mooser View Post

Input??
    M
    You meant Collinite 845, right? Their Insulator Wax? If so, then you could use that but I wouldn`t be all *that* worried about the FK1000P and the trim, just buff any off promptly. I myself would probably worry more about getting some 845 on areas that I planned to FK.

I would *NEVER* put the tire gel on exterior trim under any circumstances whatsoever, but that`s just me.

I just don`t see the FK1000P/trim issue as being that big a deal, remember that I`ve *used* it on trim, although I do put it in the "don`t try this at home, kids!" category.

And this is probably where I oughta repeat my "fog the surface with your breath during the final buff"

I bet it`ll go fine!

GTA-ish (North of Toronto but close enough to see the smog)
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes typo there, 845 liquid in the cream colored bottle, it`s my goto for door jambs
    Well it`s on, probably too thin Maybe that`s why we need multiple layers
    Just went close to the trim without worrying about it and seems ok, or at least hasn`t gone white yet. I do have some GG wax remover here somewhere it need be.
    Started with the hood and then roof then around everywhere and last did the finished areas of the door jambs with the 845 (cause it`s easy and if I don`t get it all off it doesn`t show

After about an hour I buffed the hood before lunch, came off no problems but the MF cloth is showing a fair amount on the quarter I used so maybe I went heavier than I thought, but buffed easy so.....

I`ve been using the Optimum on the plastics on the DD`s for a few years now, wipe on with a sponge and buff right away with a MF towel, leaves a nice finish (textured plastics) without being greasy or blotchy. I`ve also used the 845 when I can get the car on the quickjack but if you`ve got something better I`m always up for something new

Off to buff the rest of the car
    M

Post Thanks / Like

Mooser- Sounds like it`s going well

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread Information