Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FK1000p Beginner questions

I know Loach tested the FK vs the fusso on YouTube goes by Wax Mode.

Fusso lasted more aggressive washes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Thanks SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Manix View Post
    For those who care, 3 coats applied within about 4-5 days barley provides me any better lasting protection than just one single coat. By 2 months the beading & slickness is heavily reduced. My original guess of 3months is way too unrealistic.
    Glad I`m not the only one getting similar durability. Sometimes it lasts a long time for me, but mostly I get about 2-3 before it is completely gone. I think it is sensitive to washing.

Post Thanks / Like

I sure do wonder about the different durability experiences, but I suppose it`s just all those variations in individual situations.

If I had a LSP, most ANY LSP, die after a couple months I`d be looking for something else. I don`t even plan to keep using Souveran on the Jag if I ever get it out of mothballs. But I bet that garaging our vehicles all the time is a real wildcard that makes a huge diff.

FWIW, I find ZERO evidence of FK1000P degradation from repeated washes with 3D Pink Car Soap and/or Griot`s Car Wash. The FK1000P dies off in areas that get road [stuff] sprayed against them..mainly the sides of the vehicle, not necessarily in areas that get a lot of washing.

Manix- I sure don`t blame you for just doing one coat then. Diminishing returns and all that..

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd
    I ran out of steam reading all the posts!
    Unerstandable, especially given how I tend to go on...

Is it trims safe, as in does it wipe off of trim that you get it on by mistake with out leaving the dreaded white residue?
    Short answer- NO, keep it off trim. I`ve used it on trim but put that in the "don`t try this at home, kids!" category as it can go HORRIBLY wrong quite easily.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post
    Thanks trashmanssd thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    I ran out of steam reading all the posts!
    Is it trims safe, as in does it wipe off of trim that you get it on by mistake with out leaving the dreaded white residue?
    Wipe off trim fairly quickly or it will leave white residue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jester7677 View Post
    Wipe off trim fairly quickly or it will leave white residue.
    I think I posted this before, but I keep a MF and bottle of FK425 handy when applying 1000p. If I do get some on trim a wipe with the MF sprayed with 425 takes care of it.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator - I do like the Megs range and my experience is that you can move one shampoo from one car to another and results can vary. For example On my warm Yellow SS Ute the Megs Wash and Wax is brilliant and adds a little added protection however on our Metalic Grey Mazda its not so good. Enter NXT and both cars looked fantastic and both have FK1000 on them. Reflections are clearer and finish is slick. I have been chasing the Three Standards of Candy Gloss, Reflection, and Glow and NXT delivered on the Warm Yellow Beast best of all. Of course without FK1000 i don`t think it would be there. Do you have a favorite?

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Dannyzz- Hey, that`s interesting how the NXT shampoo simply *does it* on the FK1000P!

Being, uhm...how I am ....about shampoos, I never would`ve thunk it (let alone tried it), but yes indeed some do really seem to make this LSP pop better/worse.

So how *is* the NXT shampoo? The only Meguiar`s shampoo I`ve ever liked is M62 (though the old M00 was OK for very light cleaning and as a wetsanding lube), and for that price I`d usuallly rather use something better.

Post Thanks / Like

Dannyzz- Sounds like you found the right shampoo for you alright!

Do you have a favorite?
    If you mean "favorite shampoo", then yeah...I like a 50:50 mix of Griot`s and 3D Pink Car Soap. I could live without adding in the Griot`s but I do think it contributes a bit of added lubricity.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you recommend FK1000p for waxing wheels for winter? I’m sure a ceramic coating will last longer but looking to use my fresh can of FK 1000p before trying out some G5 Wheel Armor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IXLRS View Post
    Do you recommend FK1000p for waxing wheels for winter? I’m sure a ceramic coating will last longer but looking to use my fresh can of FK 1000p before trying out some G5 Wheel Armor.
    Yeah, works well IME. That`s what I`m using on two (or is it three...yeah 3) vehicles, one of which is a year-round daily driver. Try to get at least two coats on, about 24 hrs apart. Do the maintenance washes with a sorta-strong shampoo mix (instead of a Wheel Cleaner) and use some leaves-stuff-behind product (either a QD or a RW) as the final step. Might not make it all the way through winter, but still a viable approach.

My coated wheels just stay done longer, but they don`t really look/clean up/etc. significantly better than the FK1000P`ed ones. If I thought it was a huge diff I`d coat all my wheels (even have the coating just sitting here).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Yeah, works well IME. That`s what I`m using on two (or is it three...yeah 3) vehicles, one of which is a year-round daily driver. Try to get at least two coats on, about 24 hrs apart. Do the maintenance washes with a sorta-strong shampoo mix (instead of a Wheel Cleaner) and use some leaves-stuff-behind product (either a QD or a RW) as the final step. Might not make it all the way through winter, but still a viable approach.

My coated wheels just stay done longer, but they don`t really look/clean up/etc. significantly better than the FK1000P`ed ones. If I thought it was a huge diff I`d coat all my wheels (even have the coating just sitting here).
    You put a QD on the wheels after your maintenance wash? I have one coat on now, I’ll add a second. Happy NY!

Post Thanks / Like

IXLRS- And a Happy New Year to you too

Yeah, I almost always use some product that leaves something behind (either a QD, a Rinseless Wash, or a SprayWax) as a drying aid for everything, and I always give the wheels another once-over after it`s all finished. If nothing else, there`s usually some surface rust on the brake rotors that needs taken care of (even when I use the Hyde`s Serum to minimize it).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IXLRS View Post
    Coatings aside, FK is my hands-down favorite for wheels. I lean more to the Collinite pastes, 476 and 915 on body paint, but neither one lasts near as long as FK1000 on wheels. Must be some substance to the labeling of "Hi-Temp" on the tin.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Billy Jack- I always wonder whether my wheels get as hot as one might think. Well, yeah...on the cars that I push really hard. But for most people, doing most driving, I wonder...

The Collinite 476S was one of my two fave Wheel LSPs (other being KSG) for a long, long time, but didn`t always last through winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jack View Post
    Coatings aside, FK is my hands-down favorite for wheels. Must be some substance to the labeling of "Hi-Temp" on the tin.

Bill
    Same here--never had any other sealant last as long on wheels as 2 coats of FK1000. I seem to remember reading that 1000 was originally developed as a mold release product which would account for the "Hi-Temp" capabilities.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pwaug View Post
    S.I seem to remember reading that 1000 was originally developed as a mold release product which would account for the "Hi-Temp" capabilities.
    Kind of...according to Ron K. (who sure oughta know), it was originally developed specifically as Floyd`s answer to M16. Yeah, it has been used as a Mold Release Wax, but its origins were along the lines of "the black sheep of the family showing them how it`s done". Which I for one like, so maybe that`s why I lean towards that version of the story

M16was another wax with Mold Release in it`s background even though the "crayon smell" makes some folks think "paraffin and low heat-tolerance". Nowadays, Meguiar`s has a dedicated Mold Release Wax that`s apparently awful for use as a LSP, but back 60-some years ago M16 was the [stuff] for all sorts of applications.

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread Information