Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FK1000p Beginner questions

Just following up. I guess I`m at about 6 weeks since first application, 4 weeks since the second application. The car has seen very little rain (uncharacteristically little) and I`ve only washed it 2-3 times too. Parked outside at a commuter train lot 3-4 out of 5 days per week for work, garaged otherwise.

It stays looking pretty clean, but that`s probably more the colour than the LSP

I`ve noticed a reduction in slickness and change in beading behaviour. When I first encountered rain, it took almost nothing (15-20mph or light braking) and the water became a giant single blob on the hood and rolled off. Beads were prominent. Paint felt slick. This past week, the beads seem small, stay put and go nowhere when driving in the rain and the paint doesn`t feel as slick.

I haven`t done anything but hand wash in my driveway - once or twice with CG Citrus wash-n-gloss, one with PB SSS. I would be shocked if the FK1000p was "going away" already. P21S Concours lasted way longer than this, and I haven`t exposed the paint to hardly anything but sun and dust (and it`s almost November on top of being in Canada - so that`s not a challenge for an LSP).

I have a theory that perhaps when I first encountered rain the car was spotless, and last week it was dirty underneath the rain. Perhaps that eliminated the one-giant-bead behaviour on the hood. Not feeling as slick after a wash would have to mean fallout? It doesn`t feel rough, just not slick.

Anyways - I`m hoping to throw one more coat on in the next week or so and hopefully make it through winter. My winter wheels have GTechniq C5 (and new Hakkapeliitta R2s) on them and the windshield has Forte. Still want to get XPel or similar on my front bumper. Fingers crossed for a good winter.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve had similar issues with FK1000P. Sometimes it lasts a long time (3+ months), other times, poof, its gone after a couple of washes. Once the slickness is gone, its pretty much done for.

Post Thanks / Like

Always interested to hear about experiences with FK1000P, especially when those experiences differ from mine.

I wonder if some shampoos are a lot harder on it than my GG:3D mix, or whether my vehicles are just *that* pampered. I mean...if I only got 3 months out of it (let alone less) I`d be rethinking my advocacy of the stuff and revisiting KSGx6.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by basicT View Post
    Hi. Been pretty much keeping my car up with help from the forum. Thanks! I bought FK1000p for winter and plan on first claying and polishing with some Total Polish and Seal that I have sitting around. My question is how long should I wait after applying the Total Polish and Seal before I can apply the FK1000p. My gut tells me to wait at least 12 hours. Thanks for your help.
    I thought there was no winter in Florida.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Always interested to hear about experiences with FK1000P, especially when those experiences differ from mine.

I wonder if some shampoos are a lot harder on it than my GG:3D mix, or whether my vehicles are just *that* pampered. I mean...if I only got 3 months out of it (let alone less) I`d be rethinking my advocacy of the stuff and revisiting KSGx6.
    You`re garaging all those cars thought right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    You`re garaging all those cars thought right?
    Right. Haven`t had anything outdoors much since giving away the Volvo wagon (which *did* primarily stay outside 24/7) all those years ago (niece-in-law finally sold it recently, to somebody else who`ll also appreciate it and keep it OK). Gee, I used to *always* have a station wagon outside, well...for over 25 years at least.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

Well, Mr. A - as I said I would be shocked if a double-coat of FK was actually "done" considering how little the finish has had to contend with since it was applied. Yes - parked outside during 3-4 out of 5 working days, but no extreme sun, rain, or much in the way of car washes. I`m just describing what I`ve observed for the record, since it`s a beginners` thread.

That being said - does anyone really know what CG Wash-n-Gloss actually leaves behind? It looks great, but I don`t know what exactly "gloss enhancers" are, whether they survive the next wash, and whether they`d mess up beading. Maybe I`ll try nothing but PB SSS for a while.

Both car washes are new to me. I`ve been using Meguiar`s Gold Class for decades since it was the only decent thing I could reliably find OTC, but I`ve been working on moving on to "better" options.

Post Thanks / Like

Surly,

I use PB SSS on my FK`d daily driver, and it works great for me. Nothing added, just a good clean.

I do notice that the FK can get "clogged up" sometimes, especially with pollen season. I have luck using a weak mix (~1:4) of PB Bug Squash as a pseudo decon wash/pre soak, and it seems to get the beading behavior back, etc.

IME, even though the paint has lost its super-slick feeling, the protection is still there. After a good rain, even if super dirty, the car *almost* rinses pretty much clean. Mine sits outside 24/7, hot Texas summers, etc.

It`s due up for another few coats before "winter" (more like 50 and rainy here in the south). I`ll pay better attention on when applied, and what i top it with (normally Ult Quik Wax/D156 or PB QD+)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Surly View Post
    .. I`m just describing what I`ve observed for the record, since it`s a beginners` thread.
    Great to have such feedback on this thread, even if it`s not always what I expect

.. I`ve been using Meguiar`s Gold Class for decades since it was the only decent thing I could reliably find OTC, but I`ve been working on moving on to "better" options.
    I`d sure want something a lot better than GC, I`d expect the CG W-n-G/PB SSS to be an upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickclark08 View Post
    Surly,

I use PB SSS on my FK`d daily driver, and it works great for me. Nothing added, just a good clean.

I do notice that the FK can get "clogged up" sometimes, especially with pollen season. I have luck using a weak mix (~1:4) of PB Bug Squash as a pseudo decon wash/pre soak, and it seems to get the beading behavior back, etc.

IME, even though the paint has lost its super-slick feeling, the protection is still there. After a good rain, even if super dirty, the car *almost* rinses pretty much clean. Mine sits outside 24/7, hot Texas summers, etc.

It`s due up for another few coats before "winter" (more like 50 and rainy here in the south). I`ll pay better attention on when applied, and what i top it with (normally Ult Quik Wax/D156 or PB QD+)
    Thanks for contributing a few interesting points here. I have PB bug squash so it`s something I can try. In the winter I have no choice but to use touchless washes so I expect to reach significant degrees of non-perfection and the PB BS idea is interesting!

I don`t use any QD, although over the summer (with my renewed interest and participation in detailing) I`ve been using QD strength ONR as a drying aid. I didn`t know I needed one before but results are pretty nice. The downside is that I`ve changed LSP, wash (including a gloss enhancing option I use sometimes), polished/deconed this vehicle for the first time and added a drying aid - I do not have a good notion of which step is to thank/blame for what effect. It`s not scientific but I have limited time to experiment and observe, and limited detailing weather remaining.
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Figured I would add another random data point that happened yesterday.

My car was pretty dusty/dirty after not being washed in 2-3 weeks and being parked outside 24/7 near all the local construction going on. about 4 month old FK and I topped it with a light coat of McKees Extender spray wax.

It rained off and on starting about 5pm, and the beading was garbage due to all the dirt and stuff, even after a few periods of heavy rainfall. However, once I woke up this morning (rained most of the night), great, tight, spherical beads and the car blew itself dry on the way to work. Honestly looked almost like I had washed it.

It might have been the McKees spray wax helping things along, but the "self cleaning" I saw was behavior I am used to with just un-topped FK. Still not sure myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Surly View Post
    Thanks for contributing a few interesting points here. I have PB bug squash so it`s something I can try. In the winter I have no choice but to use touchless washes so I expect to reach significant degrees of non-perfection and the PB BS idea is interesting!

I don`t use any QD, although over the summer (with my renewed interest and participation in detailing) I`ve been using QD strength ONR as a drying aid. I didn`t know I needed one before but results are pretty nice. The downside is that I`ve changed LSP, wash (including a gloss enhancing option I use sometimes), polished/deconed this vehicle for the first time and added a drying aid - I do not have a good notion of which step is to thank/blame for what effect. It`s not scientific but I have limited time to experiment and observe, and limited detailing weather remaining.

Post Thanks / Like

After reading about the different experiences in durability that people have encountered,it reminded me of a frustrating experience that i had 3 years ago while using Duragloss #601/#105 on three Nissan vehicles.I applied #601/#105 to two Nissan March/Micra cars,one Metallic Blue,the other b/c Red.The other car was a Nissan Qashqai in Metallic orange/Red.I used the same step saver mix on all three cars,and all three were polished and wiped down with Eraser before applying the #601/`105 mix.Application and removal was easy as it`s always been with these products,and all three cars looked great.

About a week later it rained,and that`s when i noticed that both March/Micra cars had very poor beading,looked just like a dead LSP,whilst the Qashqai had perfect tight beading and fast water run off, as i had always seen with these products.All three cars had original paint,the Qashqai had Hard clear,the Metallic Blue March/Micra was pretty soft(swirls/scratches removed with PO85rd on a polishing pad via DA) and the b/c Red March/Micra was medium to hard.To cut a long story short,out of frustration and not being able to come up with an answer as to why there was such a huge difference between the water behavior while using the same product on three different cars,i re did both March/Micras,however the results were exactly the same,i even tried a new bottle of each product in case i may have got a bad bottle,same thing,tried hand and machine application,tried letting the product dry longer,tried applying the #601 to the car separately and then following with #105,same thing,tried just #105 on it`s own,same,tried #501,then #105,same thing.To this day,i can duplicate the same results on these cars using these products,the results are always the same,it`s as if the clear on both March/Micras is rejecting the products.It`s something that has always bothered me,as i have no explanation for it,never been able to figure out why.I think it really must be as Accumulator has always said,YMMV.

Post Thanks / Like

slippy- Those March/Mica cars sound like the rear bumper cover of my wife`s A8, NOTHING lasts on it, no matter what. I finally just said [something ] and decided to just use OCW as a Drying Aid and not stress over it.

Oh, and I *still* haven`t washed the (FK1000P`ed) Tahoe! It`s been forever, but I drove through a heavy rainstorm the other day and once again it`s still looking fine. Well, I *have* cleaned its wheels/tires/running boards a couple of times, and I do its glass often, but no real washes have been necessary for longer than any Autopian would believe.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah,it`s the strangest thing how some products just don`t work as they should on some paints,i never would have believed that it was possible to experience such drastic differences in performance, if i hadn`t seen it with my own eyes.As i value your opinion/experience so highly,i think i`m going to get some FK1000p and see how i get on with it,maybe even see if i can get it to `perform` on the two March/Micras I do envy how the FK1000p seems to work so very well for you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slippy View Post
    Ye.As i value your opinion/experience so highly,i think i`m going to get some FK1000p and see how i get on with it,maybe even see if i can get it to `perform` on the two March/Micras
    Heh heh, I feel compelled to post something about being careful whom you trust based on posts to an internet forum...even if it *is* Yours Truly

Hope it works out OK for you, and that you`re not in the (thankfully small) group of people for whom it`s just not All That.

I do envy how the FK1000p seems to work so very well for you
    Whatever I`m doing now is just plain *working* for me all right. If I didn`t know better I`d *swear* someone must`ve washed the Tahoe when my back was turned, it looks *that* nice for no washes in so long. The `93 Audi is doing the same, though it hasn`t been rained on so it`s a bit dusty on the horizontal surfaces. Only thing I`m washing regularly is my wife`s A8, and now even *it* is looking surprisingly good after being driven in the rain...I suspect that the OCW/IUDJ is building up faster than it`s degrading.

No, I don`t expect, much less imply, that FK1000P will work this way for everybody, and our vehicles are mighty pampered these days, but still....it`s really something.
    Likes slippy liked this post

Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread Information