Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FK1000p Beginner questions

kinda reminds me of shoe polish
    Likes pwaug liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Its not that bad. I have the tin in the garage and applicator next to it and cant smell it. Its just not a nice smell bur doesnt permeate either. Its not lije you rush to wadh your hands after using or anything

Post Thanks / Like

I used it for the first time on Monday topping HD Speed and I didn`t notice the odor. This was in an open garage.

Post Thanks / Like

Just an update on the FK1000P....

I put the 2nd coat on about 3 weeks ago, and have washed the car twice since them. I`m amazed how the water disappears almost immediately on the vertical panels, and still beads nicely on the hood.

The only observation I can make at this time is that the surface of the paint no longer feels slick. It doesn`t feel "grabby", either...just not as slick as it was immediately after applying the FK1000P.

Maybe I should start using something during the drying process to help maintain the slick feeling on the paint? I`m currently using Meguiar`s Gold Class car wash soap (been using it for more than 10 years now, actually!) and drying with a PFM towel.

If I should be using something to maintain the slick paint, what`s recommended?

Post Thanks / Like

OzzieMike- With FK1000P, I used to use FK425 for my Drying Aid, but these days I`m using IUDJ mixed at roughly QD-strength. Seems 100% compatible with the FK1000P and I honestly think it boosts the appearance a tiny bit along with providing some final cleaning/protection from marring while drying/minimal-but-something sacrificial layer, and....yeah, some added slickness.

I`m no fan of the GC and wonder if it`s somehow messing with the slickness..

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator....thanks for the advice. I guess it`s time to find another car wash soap, then....after I`ve used up the bottle of GC I just got last week.

I`m not finding a definition of IUDJ....can you help me with that?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.amazon.com/Garry-Deans-I.../dp/B00K6X5HT0 infinite use detail juice Garry Dean also has a web site
    Thanks OzzieMike thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

3D Pink Shampoo doesn`t seem to affect the slickness of the FK1000 and it`s reasonably priced. 3D Pink Car Soap

When I do find the FK1000 loosing some slickness (after a few months) I`ve started using Ultima Acrylic Spray Wax (Ultima Acrylic Spray Wax)
    While preparing my car for trade-in realized it didn`t need polished but just needed a shine boost--didn`t want to invest the time in applying another coat of FK1000 so gave the Ultima a try. Wow, was I surprised -- of course it was easy to apply, but the look and slickness is just like FK1000--don`t know how long it will last since I traded the car in and haven`t used it on the new car yet.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson
    Thanks OzzieMike thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Minus a link getting removed, this thread reminds me of Autopia circa 2005-06.. the heyday of detailing forums
    Likes GearHead_1, OzzieMike, nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave592
    ...Garry Dean also has a web site
    Heh heh, does he ever! He`s all over the internet...if his personality isn`t to your taste, don`t let that put you off his IUDJ.

Quote Originally Posted by pwaug View Post
    3D Pink Shampoo doesn`t seem to affect the slickness of the FK1000 and it`s reasonably priced. 3D Pink Car Soap.
    Yeah, great stuff! I`m still using a 50:50 mix of it and GG (through the foamguns, of course). Zero apparent effect on the FK1000P.

Todd@Rupes- Ah, glad to hear that, though I guess I never noticed the high/low points of Autopia (probably too busy with my long-winded posts ).
    Likes OzzieMike liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax / D156 as a booster for the FK, and it restores that slick feeling. I will say FK not feeling slick really doesn`t negate its performance IME.

Lately I have been using Poorboys QD+ after a wash, great stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the UQW/D156 seems to play nice with everything I`ve tried it on. It`s somehow not what I like on most paint (eh, just me, purely subjective), but there are still areas I use it on at *every* wash.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tested FK1000p for a while now & here is what I have noticed when my vehicle sits mostly in drive way each day & gets a mild wash fortnightly along with average rain.

The coat only lasts about 2.5-3months before water stops beading mostly on flat panels of vehicle.
    Side of vehicle a bit longer beading lasts.
    On windows like front windscreen it stops beading in as little as 2-3weeks
    Rear & side windows lasts only about a month before the beading looks to stop.

You can feel there is less slick to the panel when running your wash applicator over it & stuff like bird poop looks to stick more.
    Other than that I have no other way to know for sure if the coat is still there in any significance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Manix View Post
    I have tested FK1000p for a while now & here is what I have noticed when my vehicle sits mostly in drive way each day & gets a mild wash fortnightly along with average rain.

The coat only lasts about 2.5-3months before water stops beading mostly on flat panels of vehicle.
    Side of vehicle a bit longer beading lasts.
    I see the same results in the mid-atlantic area. In winter it seems to last a smidge longer, but after 3 months on a DD it is time to re-apply.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    For glass, I`ve recently started using my 3D 50:1 glass cleaner (mixed up with distilled water). So far it`s *really* impressing me! I`m even reaching for it instead of my Zep40 for use around the house.
    Whoa. I have a gallon of the stuff waiting for me at the store. I got it free, but never went to get it. Now I think I have to! Thanks for the input,. Accumulator

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    OzzieMike- With FK1000P, I used to use FK425 for my Drying Aid..
    On the wife`s driver, I`d wash using ONR (water restrictions at home). I`d follow up with FK425 to restore some slickness. Love the combo of FK1000p, ONR (Or I`d use Accumulator Pink/GG mix if I could), with FK425.

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread Information