Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FK1000p Beginner questions

Quote Originally Posted by OzzieMike View Post
    Another update....

This afternoon applied the FK1000P, which went on surprisingly easy and was nearly as easy to buff off.
    Did you apply the FK1000 by hand or machine??
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

I used a foam applicator and did it by hand. Since the recommended coating is very thin, I was leery of using my DA. The product glides right on, though....and I think using the DA would have made the job harder, not easier. (Just my $0.02 worth...YMMV).

Post Thanks / Like

OzzieMike- Depending on the atmospheric conditions, fogging the surface with your breath (which I always do when buffing off anyhow) can often show what you`ve covered/not.

Glad yours glides on easily enough...every now and then somebody gets a tin of "rock hard and difficult" and IMO those folks oughta call FK/the vendor and get it replaced.

And I agree about the machine making a simple/easy job more complicated/difficult...not that I haven`t appreciated doing other LSPs via machine, including (hm.....) the M16 that FK1000P was developed to compete with. I do sometimes wonder...but it`s just so easy to not bother getting out/setting up/putting away the polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

Completed both new cars. I`m very pleased with the results.

Some observations:

• I used HD Polish+ on the Edge prior to the FK1000P, and decided to use the McKee`s 360 AIO on the Escape prior to the FK. I think I prefer the results of the McKee`s 360 over the HD Polish+...the finish on the Escape is a bit glossier than the Edge.
    • My tin of FK1000P was pretty hard, too. I found that "swirling" the applicator pad in it softened the top of it enough to apply it to the pad. From that point on...no problems.
    • I`ve been using Invisible Glass for years on my windows, but was always miffed that, when polishing the glass, the glass kinda "grabbed" my MF towel (and would do this regardless of how many coats I applied). This time I switched to Sprayway aerosol, and found the MF towel didn`t grab anymore. Unless there`s something better out there than Sprayway, I think I`m done with Invisible Glass.
    • Kind of a surprise I just noticed today....both the Edge and Escape have the exact same color (as per the window stickers)...but the Escape seems just a tiny bit "whiter" than the Edge. Wonder if this is because they`re made in different plants (Escape is made in Louisville....Edge in Canada)?

Here are the vehicles for your dining and dancing pleasure:

Me and MiniMi Small.jpg
    Last edited by OzzieMike; 08-07-2017 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Couldn`t add photos yesterday for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like

OzzieMike- Huh, that *is* an interesting observation about the paint diffs..(and leads me to think about touchup paints..). Glad your FK1000P wasn`t so hard as to make its use a PIA.

For glass, I`ve recently started using my 3D 50:1 glass cleaner (mixed up with distilled water). So far it`s *really* impressing me! I`m even reaching for it instead of my Zep40 for use around the house.

Post Thanks / Like

OzzieMike - cars look great! interesting to note about the difference between 360 and HD Polish+... I wonder if it`s the sealant in the 360 giving some more gloss. If you can, report back on durability - I`m interested to see how the FK holds up over the 360.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator....many thanks once again for "beating it into us" that the FK1000P must be applied THIN! I am fairly certain the thin application is what makes buffing it off easy. (And I also wonder now about some who said the product was too hard....I guess it WOULD be too hard if you`re trying to load up the applicator with WAY too much product. I found the product to be kinda like other paste waxes I`ve used in the past...hard until you "swirl" the top of it with the applicator pad).

Good tip also about the window cleaner....I`ll have to look into the 3D glass cleaner you mentioned.

Nickclark...I suspect, too, that the sealant in the 360 might account for the added gloss. After this coming weekend, when I plan to apply another coat of FK1000P on both vehicles, I`ll try to remember to provide an update on durability on top of the 360.
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    For glass, I`ve recently started using my 3D 50:1 glass cleaner (mixed up with distilled water). So far it`s *really* impressing me! I`m even reaching for it instead of my Zep40 for use around the house.
    I`ve been using it for the past couple of years and have been impressed from day one. It seems that after the first wipe there is sort of a grabby film left on the glass then as the second wipe with a second towel you can feel the glass become slick as you wipe. I find I can clean windows streak free in any light or lack of light just by feel. And, you can`t beat the price for 22 oz even adding the cost of the distilled water.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

OzzieMike- I can never see subtle stuff in online pix (so both yours are simply "those look good" to me), but I believe ya about how the underlying product can factor in. One of the reasons I like using an AIO or leaves-LSP-behind Finishing Polish is that I almost always see an improvement over a "plain Finishing Polish". Still sorta surprises me as I generally believed that "if it`s polished properly everything that follows is immaterial"...but seeing is believing and I *do* see a difference.

pwaug- Yeah, that "feels slick after the final wipe" had me concerned that something streak/etc.-prone was being left on the glass, something that`d end up bugging me. But nope, no issues whatsoever. Other than the issue of freezing in Winter (say, if left in the vehicle outside) the 50:1 seems about perfect. I suppose I could mix in something like IPA to raise the freezing point, but I don`t want to mess with success and I still have that Zep40.

I got mine (a gallon) as part of the "highest post-count" contest a few years ago...never gave the whole thing any thought until I came in second (behind the now-MIA ScottWax) and received a big Prize Package.

Post Thanks / Like

Washed the Edge yesterday and applied a second coat of FK1000P. Now the long-term test begins!

Interesting note from a thread I was reading on another forum. Seems some complain about the odor of the FK1000P, and point to the warning on the can to use it in a well-ventilated area. A couple went so far as to point out differences in the MSDS sheets between the Collinite and FK1000P, and how much less "toxic" the Collinite must be. I don`t know....call me old school (or just old...either fits!), but I didn`t find the odor of the FK1000P any stronger than other paste/liquid waxes I`ve used in the past. While I applied it with the garage door open, that was only to let me see things a bit better on the car. So perhaps I should don full hazmat gear when cleaning my cars, but I think I`ll take my chances and live dangerously.

Post Thanks / Like

Um.... what smell? Seriously, I don`t smell anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Saw that thread also and had to send this reply.

"Prior to last Fall when I coated my car, I used FK1000p as my winter protection here in New England for the last 8 years. Great protection and shine that lasted till at least into May.

I pretty much always detail my car in my garage with the door closed and never had a problem with a strong odor."

And yes I`m old school and old.
    Likes OzzieMike liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, these days I suppose it`s a case of Better Safe than Sorry, and with FK being so big in the Commercial market they need to cover all the bases.

Sigh...the things people worry about.
    Likes Vegas1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

No but seriously, there`s a noticeable smell? I might have a problem....

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, it`s not all that pungent...not like you`d walk into the shop and think "gee, I smell FK1000P" or anything like that.

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread Information