Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Second Coat Of Wax (or not): A Test

Quote Originally Posted by mjgraniero View Post
    Well, Anybody have a bridge they want to sell me???
    I have a Canyon does that count ?. It is pretty famous.

Dave
    Likes mjgraniero liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Subscribe, I don`t do a second coat most of the time becasue I am lazy. But I do use Meg`s D156 as a drying aid most of the time and thats like a little booster shot every other week. My trucks so darn big the idea of waxing it twice (heck even once sometimes) makes me fell like
    Likes davidc, WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

rlmccarty2000- Yeah, I bet a lot of us learned spit-shining from vets, though my influences were from the Greatest Generation. Heh heh, Kiwi + Concoran boots is one of those combos like [fave car] + [fave wax].

I`ve never had Kiwi cloud up, even when there were [unbelievale number] layers..but I wasn`t using *cold* water or a cotton ball either.

OK, back to Detailing...I`ve used various stuff for the "spit", sorta partial to Griot`s SpeedShine, but it`s gotta be used *sparyingly*. My "pseudo-spit-shine" approach with M16 via Cyclo + SpeedShine gave me the most spherical beading I`ve ever had with that LSP and made the A8 look great, but !oh man! is it a PIA when it goes haywire (and I`m the guy who thinks all LSPs are easy).

mjgraniero- You gonna spit-shine that Souveran layering?

trashmanssd- That "the truck is so big.." thing is probably why I switched the Yukon XLD over to FK1000P. Getting several coats of Collinite (or KSG x 6 ) on the dog-haulers got old.

Post Thanks / Like

As promised, some initial bead shots. Actually, 4-day-later bead shots.

Admittedly, this is a better exposed photograph than the one above, but.. do you notice better beading on 2 coats of 476?

Natty`s

2-coats of Natty`s *seemed* to sheet better than 1 coat. Here`s a picture where I tried to capture it, but failed, but it DOES show how pretty Natty`s Blue looks.

On the motorcycle saddle bags, I have nothing really to report other than to say Pete`s 53 is beading really well (as it should only 4 days in).

Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

After 4 days there should be no degradation of the LSP. If there is any change the "top coat" would have to wear away to the "base coat". The side with one coat would be gone. Am I making any sense? I still say the solvents that keep the wax pliable would remove the first coat. That`s my story and I`m sticking to it. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Its probably more like a partial removal of the first base layer with most LSPs. You end up with a slightly thicker layer that`s more uniform with more complete coverage after the 2nd layer. Menz PL is a LSP that I always thought was layerable as well as the DG and Zaino sealants. Most of the acrylic based sealants are layerable too. (Werkstat and CG ones)

If a second layer looks different than just having one layer then there has to be something happening. The medium that the light is traveling through has changed affecting the angles of refraction and total reflection. Since the second layer is the same LSP then we can assume what has changed is the thickness.

Post Thanks / Like

2-Week Update

No differences seen across any of the test areas with any of the waxes comparing 1-coat with 2-coats. No surprise at this stage. All test areas are still beading nicely.

Sorry, no pretty pictures, I wanted to get the data quickly because of the near drought conditions here, and didn`t want to "play" with the water too much, lest I be scorned by neighbors. Nothing to see really anyway.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    mjgraniero- You gonna spit-shine that Souveran layering?
    I used souveran liquid spray as a spit shine agent and I have to say, that stuff works great. As for the Souveran itself, it didn`t last two weeks on the side panels. Hood and trunk still had some beading but the doors and fenders, nothing... It needed the second coat so I can`t really count that as layering. We have 10 consecutive forecasted days of heavy rain so the vette won`t see daylight any time soon. Perfect time to give it a rinseless wash and apply two coats in succession.

Post Thanks / Like

We have 10 consecutive forecasted days of heavy rain so the vette won`t see daylight any time soon.
    Didn`t you order the windshield wiper option ?!?!?!?!
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Didn`t you order the windshield wiper option ?!?!?!?!
    Haha! Actually, I used them for the first time last week. I don`t mind a light rain but when there are downpours in the forecast I don`t drive it to spare myself the four hour clean up. The rain brings all the dirt and grime into every crevice on that car! And my knees and back don`t like spending that much time on the ground.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Haha! Actually, I used them for the first time last week. I don`t mind a light rain but when there are downpours in the forecast I don`t drive it to spare myself the four hour clean up. The rain brings all the dirt and grime into every crevice on that car! And my knees and back don`t like spending that much time on the ground.
    I can relate to that.....
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes mjgraniero liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjgraniero
    I used souveran liquid spray as a spit shine agent and I have to say, that stuff works great.
    Ah, bet that *did* work well!

As for the Souveran itself, it didn`t last two weeks on the side panels...
    Sigh...yeah, same experience here. Though I haven`t Souveraned anything since the days when I`d wash/redo regularly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    No differences seen across any of the test areas with any of the waxes comparing 1-coat with 2-coats. No surprise at this stage.....

Well, that`s good in the "no surprise" sense.

Sorry, no pretty pictures..
    Aw, finally a color I love seeing and...

I feel for you on the drought, I`d simply die (fortunately will never be an issue here).

Post Thanks / Like

OK, since we are on the subject of layering waxes:
    Isn`t this layering concept the reason Dodo Juice developed the hard wax/soft wax for three different vehicle paint colors??
    (Like the Blue Velvet Hard Wax and Purple Haze Soft Wax for dark blue/black/grey (obsidian?)/green colored vehicles)
    You put the hard wax down first for durability and then the soft wax down for the carnauba gloss.

Just curious if anyone has any experience with Dodo Juice waxes in doing this and what the results were/are?
    GB detailer
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    OK, since we are on the subject of layering waxes:
    Isn`t this layering concept the reason Dodo Juice developed the hard wax/soft wax for three different vehicle paint colors??
    (Like the Blue Velvet Hard Wax and Purple Haze Soft Wax for dark blue/black/grey (obsidian?)/green colored vehicles)
    You put the hard wax down first for durability and then the soft wax down for the carnauba gloss.

Just curious if anyone has any experience with Dodo Juice waxes in doing this and what the results were/are?
    Yep, BV and PH experience here, and I love `em. The Pro versions last a bit longer. The idea of a hard wax first then a soft wax - or that whole idea - isn`t in contention I don`t think.

I have wondered why the Dodo fans are mostly absent from this forum. So many good waxes, and Lime Prime, Born Slippy, all great stuff.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information