Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Second Coat Of Wax (or not): A Test

Motivation

The point of this test is to convince myself, using waxes I might use, on real-world surfaces exposed to elements, that a second coat of wax, applied after adequate curing time, IS or ISN’T worthwhile.

Admittedly, there’s just WAY too many variables in this test for it to have meaning and value to some people. My hope is that a few of you will find it worthwhile, or at least amusing.

Please note that my use of the term “wax” refers to an LSP with wax in it, regardless of other ingredients.

I’m not considering pure sealant with wax applied on top, which is generally considered a worthwhile form of second coating. For the sake of this test, I’m talking about using the same wax for two coats, also known as layering.

Three Possible Reasons To Apply a Second Coat

Depending on who you ask, layering provides the following benefits: 1) it ensures proper coverage, 2) it lasts longer than one coat, and 3) it enhances appearance. Personally, I layer LSP to make it last longer. But, I may be wasting my time. I don’t know.
    Proper coverage doesn’t concern me because my wax application method is very thorough, and I’ve never really noticed a discernable extra “pop” from layering waxes (of the same type).

The “Waxes”

I chose three waxes that I like, have used, and will use again. I purposefully left out some choices that may be off-radar, esoteric, or very short lived.

Collinite 476. Longevity and great looks. A perineal favorite of many, if not “old hat”, stinky, and finicky if you leave it on too long. 476 should have the highest amount of sealant-like ingredients of the three.

Poorboy’s Natty’s Blue. A “forum favorite”. Looks amazing, smells like bubblegum, and lasts longer than many other carnauba-heavy waxes. I’ve found that it’s great on all colors, but is marketed towards darker shades.

Chemical Guy’s Pete’s 53. Buckets of gloss. It’s like a less-expensive DoDo, or a longer-lasting P21S, but a bit more waxy and tacky-feeling than either.

The Test Surfaces

476 will be used on my 2002 Volvo’s roof, divided in half, where one side is 1 coat, the other is 2 coats.

Natty’s will be used on the driver’s side doors, with 2 coats on the passenger door.

Pete’s 53 was applied to my motorcycle’s saddle bags; simply, 1 coat for one, 2 for the other.

The Volvo will be outside 24-7 and driven 3 to 7 days a week. The motorcycle is ridden on weekends and is garaged, but I will put the saddlebags outside on occasion for more elemental exposure. This will represent a “garage-queen” type of exposure.

Prep and Application

Any existing LSP’s were toast on all surfaces before I began. Surfaces were waterless washed with PB Spray & Wipe, clayed until extremely smooth, and rigorously wiped down with CarPro Eraser.

The surfaces were waxed to achieve the first coat, then allowed to cure for about 20 hours. Waxes were applied thin, with careful attention to coverage and uniformity.

The Volvo’s roof was then divided in half, gently wiped down with distilled water, and one half was layered with 476. The passenger door was layered with Natty’s, after a distilled water wipe. One of the two saddlebags was waxed again with Pete’s 53.

Waxes were applied in my garage, which was 74 to 78 degrees. Mild humidity (for Florida).

Each test area had its own, new generic foam applicator and dedicated MFT’s. Removal was done with Poorboy’s DMT towels and final buff was done with RagCo Eagle Edgeless towels.

Natty’s

Notice the 370Z reflected in the Volvo

Pete’s 53

------------------------
    Thanks for looking! I’ll get some beading shots up soon.
    Likes HCF, 512detail, nickclark08, Ronkh, Tc99m and 9 others liked this post
    Thanks nickclark08, Tc99m, VitreousHumor, Mary B, trashmanssd thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Second Coat Of Wax (or not): A Test

what about the third fourth and fifth coats?

nice test. looking forward to following along

Brandt K.
    Likes Ronkh, WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cool test.

of the three, which did you find easiest to apply/remove?
    Thanks WaxAddict thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

WaxAddict- Ah, this`ll be interesting! Looking forward to seeing whether your results mirror mine or turn out completely different!

(FWIW, I never tested with one vs. two, not sure whether that makes a diff or not.)

And the first thought I had when I saw this thread was "oh boy, get to see that cool paint some more" Like the stuff on your saddlebags too!
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

In for the follow...specifically the Petes 53 as it is my favorite LSP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t care about the results.... So please don`t publish em unless 3 is better than one.

Don`t take away my only form of exercise.

2>1

Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    I don`t care about the results.... So please don`t publish em unless 3 is better than one.

Don`t take away my only form of exercise.

2>1

you could always get a workout cleaning that garage up!

Brandt K.
    Likes WaxAddict, trashmanssd liked this post
    Thanks trashmanssd thanked for this post

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    you could always get a workout cleaning that garage up!
    or riding one of the pink bicycles
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com
    Likes 512detail, WaxAddict, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Or getting up and down doing the `vette`s undercarriage!
    Likes 512detail, tropicsteve, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting talking about layering waxes, anyone had a chance to watch this detalks...I seem to be on youtube binges lately...
    thoughts? (not on my youtube binges - on the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3a9CrCQZ8k

"We all know that guy that spends two days putting 17 coats of wax on his ride. What he doesn`t know is that it`s not layering, but just removing the previous layer. Certain paint protection and gloss enhancing products are meant to be layered (Typically you can layer a Wax over a Sealant), but for all other products, it`s just a waste! Many people with Ceramic coatings do not need to wax or seal their car, but can they? Of course, it just won`t absorb like unprotected paint. Our detailing Pro`s have experienced every paint protection combo first hand, and give you the knowledge to save time and money with car detailing. Need help on how to apply ceramic coatings, sealants, or wax? Please check out our other tutorial videos on the channel! " - taken from description
    Likes WaxAddict, tropicsteve liked this post
    Thanks WaxAddict thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Subscribed for the outcome.
    I`ve got my own opinion of layering after 7-8 winters of testing on a DD parked outside 24/7 in PA. One coat, applied in November, lasts me into February with what I consider "adequate" protection. A second coat, applied the morning after the first, gets me at least through April and into May. I`ve combined all three Collinites, 845, 476 and 915, as well as combos of Colli applied over DG 501 or 105. This past winter, I went all DG, using 105/601 topped by 111. We`re still going strong in mid-April, but in all fairness it has been a relatively mild winter.

Bill
    Likes WaxAddict, lloydrm, VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

...What he doesn`t know is that it`s not layering, but just removing the previous layer...
    Ah, the risks in generalizing

Sometimes yes, sometimes no...and IMO only a [dummy] would fail to notice which side of that fence he`s on.
    Likes RaydiantDetail, WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3a9CrCQZ8k

"We all know that guy that spends two days putting 17 coats of wax on his ride. What he doesn`t know is that it`s not layering, but just removing the previous layer. Certain paint protection and gloss enhancing products are meant to be layered (Typically you can layer a Wax over a Sealant), but for all other products, it`s just a waste! Many people with Ceramic coatings do not need to wax or seal their car, but can they? Of course, it just won`t absorb like unprotected paint. Our detailing Pro`s have experienced every paint protection combo first hand, and give you the knowledge to save time and money with car detailing. Need help on how to apply ceramic coatings, sealants, or wax? Please check out our other tutorial videos on the channel! " - taken from description

That word killed it for me.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes RaydiantDetail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Or getting up and down doing the `vette`s undercarriage!
    Neither one of Jen`s daughters would fit under it much less me........

Post Thanks / Like

"Our detailing Pro`s have experienced every paint protection combo"

Our detailing Pro`s---who are they? Why are they Pro`s and who said they were? I thought a pro was someone with a briefcase 50 miles away from home-----
    Every paint protection combo----really-EVERYONE????? I call bull````

No thanks--I`ll stick with Y`all!!!!!
    Jay
    Thanks Poorboy, WaxAddict thanked for this post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information