Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Collinite 915 and 476 Side-By-Side Comparo

The last wax test I did featuring Collinite 915 was a bit of a disappointment, having the waxes drop off drastically after a huge bout with pollen. I`m going to give it another go, this time comparing 915 to it`s sister wax, 476S " Super Double Coat Auto Wax".. "The Permanent Auto Wax" (he he he).

I love these waxes! I can never decide which one I like better. I pay more for 915 so I generally talk myself into liking it more. 915 gives dark cars a beautiful glow where the curves of the car seem to be fluid. My reckoning is that 476 is more general-purpose, all-color. However, I recently applied it to the rear quarter panels of my black 370Z and I didn`t miss the 915 at all!

The victim car is, once again, my 16-year-old Volvo in fully unapologetic non-Autopian condition. This is a 24-7 outside beater car for hauling the dogs, mulch, and my fat ass to work about half the time.

PREP:
    Just a wash with Lusso Oro and a thorough claying with Poorboy`s clay and the sweet nectar that is Spray & Wipe.

APPLICATION: One thin coat. I waited for a proper finger-swipe test before removal. No drama here, if you follow the instructions.
    I generally apply two coats, but I`m starting to take some advice from "experts" that say the second coat just removes the first. I dunno.
    Removal was just a bit easier with 915 than 476. The later required a bit more buffing and seemed oilier. Still, really easy.

Beads are stellar on both products, but I failed to get a decent picture. Water-shedding is OK, not great. Collinite wax wants to hold onto it`s beads, so I can never get a full sheet off of a panel.

Both waxes noticeably darkened and "glossified" the tired old paint, which had last seem LSP back in January using Griot`s BOS. I noted back then that the Griot`s wax filled nicely. I didn`t see filling with these waxes. To my eyes, the 915 side was darker, but gloss was even across both waxes.

OK, so on with the longevity test, just in time for hot weather. I hope to see more than the 7-8 weeks from 915 that I saw last time on this same car.

I leave you with the pics..

--

--

Thanks ShakingHorizons, davidc, JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collinite 915 and 476 Side-By-Side Comparo

Will be interesting to see! I typically use 915 for paint and 476 for my wheels.
    Thanks WaxAddict thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comparison. I have and use both and I`m unable to detect any difference in longevity, probably because I can`t leave them untouched long enough. I`ll be interested is seeing how they work for you.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

WaxAddict- Looking forward to seeing how they compare durability-wise.

As I`ve probably posted before, despite what the "experts" say (and I`ve probably seen all the arguments that supposedly back that up), I *absolutely* got better durability out of multiple applications. No question about it as it wasn`t a subtle difference.

Nice color on the Volvo! Now about that marring and your "fat ass"........sounds like some, uhm...projects...are in order
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    ... As I`ve probably posted before, despite what the "experts" say (and I`ve probably seen all the arguments that supposedly back that up), I *absolutely* got better durability out of multiple applications.
    Sounds like a TEST is in order!!!

Nice color on the Volvo! Now about that marring and your "fat ass"........sounds like some, uhm...projects...are in order
    he he. I need a "Polish Angel" to help with both!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice test. As for removing the previous coat I can see that with a cleaner wax but not with 476S,885,845 variety. I claim this after waxing over a dried water dribble on a fender using 845. The wax went over the spot without removing it which I had to go back and fix that spot. I usually do two coats at least 12hrs apart. There seems to be a subtle difference with two coats and I tried three at one time with no noticeable difference. I was just thinking of this test yesterday morning and here it is. I sure hope the results are better than the last also as that was very disappointing.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoy these Collinite comparos. Collinite, Duragloss and Megs are about the only products I use nowadays. Kind of like Mike P says, "Find something you like..." I`ve really been wanting to try 915, just hate to turn $40+ loose when I have 5 or 6 other LSP`s on the shelf. I`ll get over it. May be the first time, though, that I`ve heard of 915 being easier to remove than anything. Anyway, great write-up. Love the color of that Volvo.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for doing this test. Two of our 4 cars get Collinite. I have both 476 and 915. Strangely I find 476 easier to buff off that 915 though most people disagree with me. I cannot see a gloss difference between the two. But both cars get more dust on them than our 2 coated cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    Nice test. As for removing the previous coat I can see that with a cleaner wax....
    Even products with cleaners/abrasives, stuff that absolutely "shouldn`t layer", *can* if it`s done properly. Sure glad I didn`t trust what others said instead of deciding to find out for myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Being a BIG Collinite aficionado, I am interested in this test and what the final outcome in longevity will be.

That`s quite a test vehicle to try this comparison on. especially being a 16-year old car AND it sitting outside for most of its life. How many miles are on it?
    This test is perfect for most weekend warrior/hobbyist detailers who do daily drivers (including their own) on a regular basis.

I`m with you on the dust collection/attraction characteristics of Collinite paste waxes, BUT it is something I live with.
    I also find that the water beading characteristic of Collinite waxes is a good thing/bad thing: Good because when I use a leaf blower to blow off water for 2-bucket washes, the rinse water applied with a hose-n-nozzle comes off VERY easily. It`s one of THE key reasons I love to use carnauba waxes. The bad thing is that rain beads up nicely, BUT when the sun comes out, it leaves dirt rings where the beads were when they dry.

I have a single coat of Collinite 915 applied in late October on a pearl white 2003 Subaru Outback all winter in Northeast Wisconsin and it beads wonderfully and looks very shiny/reflective in my eyes. Then again it was garaged and only saw about 1,200 miles in that time so it really was not a good test of its durability. Still not sure about the layering of Collinite and increasing its longevity or durability. As stated, I only do single coat applications, and if someone can come up with definitive proof that two coats/applications with Collinite are, indeed, " infinitely better" then I will try that process. I know some have posted that they layer 885 Insulator wax over 476S Double Detergent-proof wax..
    GB detailer
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Come to think of it, the last time I had a vehicle outdoors most of the time was *my* old Volvo wagon, and I used 476S on it. Though I had to use something else on the black-painted/?coated with something? bits as the Collinite provided virtually zero UV protection; those partss oxidized in no time unless I put something else on `em (BFAFPP maybe, forget...).

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    .. I know some have posted that they layer 885 Insulator wax over 476S Double Detergent-proof wax..
    That`d be me except that I did the 845 first and then put the 476S on top.
    Likes Lonnie, WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    That`s quite a test vehicle to try this comparison on. especially being a 16-year old car AND it sitting outside for most of its life. How many miles are on it?..
    142k miles, but I bought it with 110k just a few years back. It`s amazing what nice cars you can get for a song if you`re not intimidated by maintenance and repairs. It`s the high-pressure turbo 5-cylinder and it really scoots, and the seats are amazing.

i rarely do tests on my garage-kept black car simply because I so rarely get the hose out on it, and don`t want to spray it down to test beading etc without doing a full proper wash. Good thing I have access to two other cars! My z (the black car) has different LSP or LSP combinations per each 11 panels!

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie- Testing the ?layering? isn`t that tough IMO:

-Apply the first coat to the whole panel
    -Wait a while in case there`s some "curing"/etc. to consider
    -Apply more coats to one half of the panel
    -Apply one final coat to the whole panel (to equalize the "starting time" for the test)

So you end up with a maximum of two applicatons on one section (if it layers) and (maybe) more on the other. Observe the panel and see if the multiple-applications section stays LSPed significantly longer. IMO lots of variables can factor in, so YMMV as it`s just one of those subjective things...but *you* are the subject that matters and at least you`ll know *YOUR* results based on your situation/technique/etc. and then nobody else`s input needs to matter...including mine
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

..... Testing the ?layering? isn`t that tough IMO: .......
    Working on it... Stay tuned. Three different LSPs.
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

1.5 Week Follow-Up

Not much to report, other than both waxes are still working really well, as would be expected.
    Soon, it`s going to be really hot here - so hot that touching this panel will be uncomfortable. And remember, this car is outside 24-7. It`ll be interesting to see which wax is more heat resistant.

At 1.5 weeks, 476 has slightly better beads than 915...

Sheeting is adequate and similar on both sides.

that`s it for this follow-up!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information